Rear end whine

Upstairs Chris

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Got a rear end whine from 60mph and up. Sound like it is coming from my middle back seat. Differential fluid and wheel bearings have been changed in the past week, yet the noise persists. Whine does not change if I am in D4 or D5, it's wheel speed dependant.

Any suggestions?

06, 89k

Worth a shot. I've never had to replace one of those on my previous vehicles but it sounds somewhat straight forward. I've been lowered for about 1.5 years now, and that sound like a bearing that would wear prematurely from that.

Lowering should make no difference. Bearing could be shot. The rubber surround on mine went, caused a loud thumping when releasing the clutch in first gear (especially if launching hard). Hardest part of the job was dropping the exhaust and keeping track of the driveshaft bolts.

Pinion bearing. The one in my old '06 failed and the repair was around $800. YIKES!!!

I had the pinion bearing go out in my 06 as well. I took the opportunity to do a LSD swap.

My agree its a pinion bearing gone bad, it was an easy fix on a mark 7, just if you want better gears now would be the time, I sourced a 2002 ford Explorer 4.10 ring and pinion from the pick and pull then went to ford racing and brought a rebuild kit with gt500 bearings for like 100 bucks if remember, but thats for an 8.8 solid axle if thats in yours, i did mine in a weekend gotta have muscle to torque down the pinion nut. Hey if my skinny self could do it, it should be a breeze for anyone else. Im just saying if breaks make it stronger!

They sell them for cars with Irs aswell, I put 3.73's in my bros mark 8 8.8..:cool:

Lowering should make no difference. Bearing could be shot. The rubber surround on mine went, caused a loud thumping when releasing the clutch in first gear (especially if launching hard). Hardest part of the job was dropping the exhaust and keeping track of the driveshaft bolts.

Ohhhhhh really? I have this same clunk, time to throw it on the lift and check it out.

Well I dropped the car off at a local dealer, told them about the noise, told them what I thought it could be, and told them to take their time as I have a work vehicle and am not in any distress by not having the car. With comments of $800 repairs going around, I figured the $40 diagnostic fee seems worth it, as much as I hate the dealer.

But, listen to what the jackwagons said.

"It's the rear axle bearing, and we don't have tools to do that job, so we'd have to source a entire new axle" then quoted me some $2000 figure.

Needless to ****ing say, I have my car back, noise intact. Dealers are ****ing clueless with this car. I didn't pay the diagnostic fee.

Well I dropped the car off at a local dealer, told them about the noise, told them what I thought it could be, and told them to take their time as I have a work vehicle and am not in any distress by not having the car. With comments of $800 repairs going around, I figured the $40 diagnostic fee seems worth it, as much as I hate the dealer.

But, listen to what the jackwagons said.

"It's the rear axle bearing, and we don't have tools to do that job, so we'd have to source a entire new axle" then quoted me some $2000 figure.

Needless to ****ing say, I have my car back, noise intact. Dealers are ****ing clueless with this car. I didn't pay the diagnostic fee.

Mine has the same noise, local shop that does superior work quoted me about 900 bucks to rebuild the entire rear end, new gears and all. It would probably be a lot less if you just replace the broken parts. Mine will be traded/sold with the noise as it's not too bad as of yet. If it gets too bad, I'll lose 100 bucks on the trade.

I'd suggest checking with your local 4x4 shops to see who does good differential work, because those boys are a lot harder on their diffs than anyone with a car is and will know who's worth a damn in your area.

Members online

Back