Is this common for 1st gens?

BIG ROLLER

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Couple of days ago neighbor kid closed my trunk (didn't seem like he slammed it very hard) and the trunk lock cover snapped off from the panel. Looks like it was gonna happen anyway even if I were to hit a bump a little hard.

Common or just my luck?

img20150513_171858.jpg

img20150513_171858.jpg

I've never seen that before, but I have cracked the red lens when changing the lock cover. Are the lens and housing ok?

Nothing happened to the lens's. But also since I have never removed the tail lights before I don't know if the panel that broke is also part of the housing. I'm sure someone here knows.

I still got my 93 that I have been using parts from already. Time to remove again I guess.

I'd take the light panel off and epoxy it back on from behind.

Happened to mine. Closed the trunk one night when it was -29 degrees F and it popped right off.

BOTH panels I have are cracked right in that same area. They are flimsy and break easy if too much pressure is put against them. I reinforced mine with .040" T6 aluminum and have not had a problem since.

Happened to mine, that plastic is very brittle. It's the main reason when you see tail light panels for sale people think they are two pieces but they are truly one piece and that area always breaks, I reinforced my current one with jb weld before i put it on.

Yep, they're pretty fragile in the middle. I don't think I've ever seen one off the car that wasn't cracked already.

What did you use with that .040 T6 Aluminum? Haven't had the problem but would just like to know for future. Thanks
BOTH panels I have are cracked right in that same area. They are flimsy and break easy if too much pressure is put against them. I reinforced mine with .040" T6 aluminum and have not had a problem since.

I work as an aircraft mechanic and I made a template of cardboard. Transferred the cardboard to the aluminum, trimmed and fit the aluminum, and then used A4-Metalset (much like JB-Weld) to glue it in. NO more problem.

I had to replace my emblem yesterday, and I actually managed to keep the housing in one piece. :)

zzem0.jpg

zzem1.jpg

zzem2.jpg

zzem3.jpg

zzem4.jpg

Looks great Bill.

I'm not gonna be able to get to fixing mine for a few months but I also don't plan to until I get a new emblem anyway. The panel on my 93 is still intact for now so when I do get to it I have to be careful not break it.

And then look into doing the same as markup7 with the aluminum. I like that idea.

Members online

Back