Considering this car???

teal9550

LVC Member
Reaction score
https://stgeorge.craigslist.org/cto/4992598436.html

Drove this car today, the body and interior are fairly clean, it shifts well and doesn't make any engine noise and the tires are ok. A few problems the ac doesn't work she says it needs refrigerant, the right rear window doesn't operate(motor?), there's a clunking in the front end over bumps(sway bar bushings?),has a power steering leak when it's cold out?, the radio volume button has a mind of it's own. The computer says it's getting 18.6 mpg and all systems said OK. I'm sure I could buy it for 1500 or so, seems like a good deal given it's 218k miles and being a 1 owner car....thoughts?

Offer $25 and ask for a hand job. This car will kill you. Might as well get one last handy out of the deal. :p

If you could get the car down to 1100-1200, have good mechanical skills, patience, understanding of the LS weak points and aren't bothered by the wear and tear plus mileage I say go for it!! Research research!!

I feel i do have good mechanical skills, and I've owned hundreds of ford vehicles so i think i will go for it, she is searching for maintenance records for me now so i can see whats been done

$1000 would be my max on that. That is a huge amount of mileage. You are going to need to turn around and put at least 3X more into the car to make it worry free.

There have been some guys on here that never have problems and then some it's constant. My '00 had all the typical LS issues and were fixed as they came along and then sold it to a friend when it had 200k on the clock. He drove it for almost 3 years before he thrashed it out and ended in a junkyard. My current '02 I've had for 3 years has 146k and other then VCG's, plugs, 2 coils, and an alternator it's been hassle free. (LS gods are going to get me now!!:eek:)

Maybe that car is a trooper, you never know.

According to the owner she's never had problems with the car, she's a college student & the car is a handme down from her dad, she's from az and is afraid to drive it in snow, that's why there selling it

Zero percent chance she's never changed coils. She's either not considering that "problems with the car" or she's being dishonest.

Her dad put the majority of the miles on it, so she may just be unaware, she's been driving it 2 years

Didn't ford own jag at this point or are these cars rebadged british cars

More like the red headed beasturd stepchild that neither wants to admit to being responsible for. When you need engine parts, be prepared for the deer in the headlights look from Ford. Jag will be able to help you because they still use variants of the engine.

Understand ,my buddy has a jaguar xj8 and that car has the strangest issues as well but the motor looks very similar to the Lincoln

Zero percent chance she's never changed coils. She's either not considering that "problems with the car" or she's being dishonest.

With an understanding of the LS, I'm not sure I would consider that a problem. Sure, I'm biased and think coils are as replaceable as brake rotors, but that's just me (us). My dad's Taurus needed 3 coils once (skipped the rear bank- FWD Duratec 30). My dad and I have owned 30 COPs starting with my 97 Taurus, and we've replaced 11. But then again, I enjoy the work and don't mind the downtime with multiple vehicles...

Also, if she's not interested in cars, and doesn't know why the car was serviced when her dad took it, then she wouldn't know about problems. Ignorance and carelessness is common among people with licenses. The least you can ask is that people get warning lights and weird noises checked out promptly.

Please do realize that this is not really relevant. This car is way more Jaguar than it is Ford.

Leaving a platform or a narrow set of years can make it just as irrelevant. Working on a 97 Taurus, an 05 Focus, or a 2013 Explorer (the FWD platform) won't tell you much about a 2008 Mustang or a 1969 Continental beyond basic assembly concepts. Just sayin

Understand ,my buddy has a jaguar xj8 and that car has the strangest issues as well but the motor looks very similar to the Lincoln

The 3.0 V6 is a Ford Duratec 30. The LS 3.9 V8 is an "AJ" series engine. It's specific to the LS/Tbird, but very very similar to the Jag 4.0 AJ V8, and quite similar to the 4.2 (incoming "can I supercharge my LSwith an S-type R")

Honestly the car doesn't scare me its main function is to get my wife back and forth to work and that's a 10 mile round trip in town so if the kid still has it I'll offer 1200 and see what she says

Honestly the car doesn't scare me its main function is to get my wife back and forth to work and that's a 10 mile round trip in town so if the kid still has it I'll offer 1200 and see what she says

At this point, it really shouldn't scare you anymore than any other 13/14 year old car, with two exceptions:
1. It was a $40K+ car when new. Repairs on this car will cost more than those on a car that was $20K+ when new.
2. They made relatively few of these cars and they shared hardly any parts with other cars. The result is that now, many parts are hard to find, some are just about impossible.

rust isn't the only enemy, and yes some parts no matter what can not be had new, and will fail regardless of rust...

Just get the wife a used Camry, then change the timing belt and water pump right off. She isn't going to care about it beyond does it get her from A to Z reliably, and the Camry does that very well. Besides, women are used to appliances so she'll love it. On top of that, the Camry should see 25 to 30MPG on 87 octane as opposed to about 18 (based on how you say she'll be driving it) on average using 93 (and I guarantee the wife's not going to put anything other than 87 in the car, which will cause problems with the LS) so there's additional savings.

Members online

Back