Spring Conversion

obguy

LVC Member
Reaction score
Put a full Suncore spring conversion kit on my 94 Mark 8 Changed out the rears first as the back had dropped and it needed fixed first The series 2 kit is going to be modified soon In my opinion the rubber isolators are the wrong size for the springs they sent and only cover half of the surface contact area of the spring If they shift at all you'll have steel spring on aluminum lower control arm I contacted them and they explained they were the correct items ooookkkkkk Same for the top only steel on steel if it shifts No lower cup as in the series 1 kit so the spring can get out of center and float all around in the recess and I don't like that either. No difference in noise when the swap was made with the rears Changed out the fronts and it drives and handles just fine The bad side is now the road noise is extremely annoying Three months after the swap one of the new rear shocks is leaking and I get to deal with that The Instructions could have been a lot more detailed all the way around Were it not for the forum to find where the control module is located to find the wire you have to clip to eliminate the air suspension warning I would still be driving around with the car telling me to fix the air suspension Changed out the 2 front tires from the shot Uniroyal Tiger Paws to a pair of Sears Road Handlers and aligned the car Looked around for any reports of excessive noise from these tires and have found none I am assuming the noise is from the new spring struts

you need to learn some punctuation man.

and yes, it is pretty well known that the spring conversion kits are usually quite subpar.
you can do much better by assembling your own kit from various thunderbird parts and other aftermarket pieces.

Moog springs and tokico shocks would be infinitely superior and if you get good sales, probably just about the same price that you end up paying for the kits they sell.

Moog springs and tokico shocks would be infinitely superior and if you get good sales, probably just about the same price that you end up paying for the kits they sell.

do you just order tbird parts? not my thread just curious.

Put a full Suncore spring conversion kit on my 94 Mark 8 Changed out the rears first as the back had dropped and it needed fixed first The series 2 kit is going to be modified soon In my opinion the rubber isolators are the wrong size for the springs they sent and only cover half of the surface contact area of the spring If they shift at all you'll have steel spring on aluminum lower control arm I contacted them and they explained they were the correct items ooookkkkkk Same for the top only steel on steel if it shifts No lower cup as in the series 1 kit so the spring can get out of center and float all around in the recess and I don't like that either. No difference in noise when the swap was made with the rears Changed out the fronts and it drives and handles just fine The bad side is now the road noise is extremely annoying Three months after the swap one of the new rear shocks is leaking and I get to deal with that The Instructions could have been a lot more detailed all the way around Were it not for the forum to find where the control module is located to find the wire you have to clip to eliminate the air suspension warning I would still be driving around with the car telling me to fix the air suspension Changed out the 2 front tires from the shot Uniroyal Tiger Paws to a pair of Sears Road Handlers and aligned the car Looked around for any reports of excessive noise from these tires and have found none I am assuming the noise is from the new spring struts

obguy, once you get the spring compressed, I don't see anyway that it'll move around. The shock absorber limits the travel too. From what I've read on the forums, the only reason the spring will make a noise, is if the spring is too close to the spring perch and rubbs against the spring. Like on the Strutmaster/American Air Suspension brands. Once the powdercoat wears down....here comes the squeek. The kit I put on mine never made a peep, but I made sure the spring was centered before hooking everything back up.

I don't know what all the fuss is about on the conversions. I did my '95 and I love the way it drives. Yeah the air rode a little(and I mean a little)better, but at least I don't have to worry about breaking down on the side of the road because it pancaked. From what I heard, the front air shocks are discontinued anyway.

Btw, what did you expect getting something from suncore anyway? Have you ever really asked those people anything technical? I had several years ago when I first got my mark and there was only one guy out of the whole place that knew his butt from a hole in the ground. Unfortunately, I heard that poor guy died.

Members online

Back