1998 Transmission into 1997 Transmission - only have 1997 harness

Florus

LVC Member
Reaction score
Greetings from Germany,

I recently bought a low-mileage 1998 transmission for my 1997 Lincoln Mark 8. Unfortunately the transmission came without harness.

Sorry if this already has been asked, but can I use the harness from my 1997 to install the 1998 tranny? I heard that there's a way to re-wire (swap internals from the 1997 into the 1998) and to re-pin. Most people say that re-pin can cause problems to the ECM and solenoids.

I would prefer to re-wire: does that mean I can use the 1997 harness?

Thanks a lot!

Florian

Are you talking about not having the internal to the transmission harness, the 98 has the flat trace style, the 97 has the wires?

If your 98 came with the internal harness, then follow that page previously posted, be careful as you have to make sure your looking at the connector right, there is something backwards on that page, I think it is the 92-97 one, that is actually the connector on the transmission and not the the harness, but the 98-08 is the harness. So one of them is a mirror image.

@chris2523

Thank you! That's a very good instruction!

@Bangster

No, I have both internal harness from the transmission. Just the external harness from the 1998 tranny is missing.

And thanks for making it clear! :)

Another thing (firts thought it might not that big problem): one of the connectors on the 1998 tranny is broken (I think due transport from Virginia to Germany), it's the "electrical connector" as I investigate. I think it can't just swap this connector from my 1997 tranny into my 1998 tranny? :(

Aode-Electrical-Connector.jpg
4R70W_2.jpg

Aode-Electrical-Connector.jpg

4R70W_2.jpg

@NoLimit95

I don't know but I prefer repinning instead of rewiring. I heard that repinning can cause problems, but only if you don't do it right. In my opinion it's easier to repin a connector instead of grabbing all the electrical internal from a transmission - or do I have an error in reasoning?

What I found: I can use my 1997 harness and repin the main-connector. To verify that everything is correct I look at both the connector pins and wiring color.

Also I found that I need to change the MLPS and use the 1997 TCC solenoid. Wonder why they don't write anything regarding the TCC problematic in the re-pin instruction.

Still need to figure out how to connect the old TCC to the 1998 style internal connectors. Hmphh...

Thanks a lot for your help! :)

I have a question :)
The main connector from the 1998 transmission is broken. The part number is F8AZ-7G276-AA, unfortunately this part is completely out of stock. I ordered it at some ford OEM shops but they all canceled the order because there's no ETA for it. Now if found F8AP-7G276-AB which looks exactly the same. Is there a way to determine if that connector is compatible or not?

Thanks!

Members online

Back