Need help please 02 lincoln ls v8 3.9l thermostat housing removal

loosemyo

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello , all i would like to know if anyone knows how to remove or get too the bottom back 2 bolts
on the thermostat housing base ! I have the front 2 out just need to remove back ones i ve tried
rachet wrenches swival socket extensions nothing working no angles to looosin botls is there any recommendations on a perticular tool i can use and size well the size of the botls are 8mm or 3/8
just not a whole lot of wiggle room for play thank you any help would be gladly appreciated !!!
I VE BEEN STUCK ON THESE 2 DARN BOLTS FOR 2 DAYS !

The 02 is a Gen 1 and the 03 is a Gen 2. I mention this because I have an 03, and have never worked on a Gen 1. On my 03, I had to pull the intake to get those two bolts off, but if I ever have to do it again I won't because I cut the bolts down a bit. Even though the two generations have different intake setups I don't see it being any different in respect to getting those two bolts off.

I have used a 1/4" 8mm short socket with two extensions. Once I broke them loose they came right out. The bolt heads will end up under a ridge on the front side of the intake manifold so i used a magnet to pull them out. I believe that I could have re-used them but I bought same length allen head bolts (rounded heads). Good luck.

You need a crow's foot wrench. Alternately, there are some specialized brake or distributor wrenches that should work.

Re&Re - Jag Aluminum Upgraded Thermostat housing - GEN 1 V8

Get the two front bolts out, loosen the two rears, turn them as much as you can until they begin to top out against the black round disc of the intake manifold, then gently lift up on the Thermostat housing, tilt it back and forth, while completing the last few remaining turns with needle nose pliers.

5/16" or 8mm swivel ratchet wrench should have worked if not may need to get a Snap-On Brake Bleeder Wrench 5/16" X 3/8" but both will top out as the bolt starts to touch the black round intake disc. You may have to use on open end wrench to make a few turns as well.

Do NOT drop any bolts down into the Thermostat housing intake.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Shouldn't take you two Fn days to get two bolts out!

Members online

No members online now.
Back