Pulling the engine out

3.9-LS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone have pics or advice on engine removal? I don't have a lift so more than likely I'll pull the 3.9 and trans out the top.

no advice, but it has been done (out the top) at least a couple of times so its not impossible...

its been awhile so not 100% for sure, but I thought the last guy to do it said only the engine came out through the top, the trans has to get dropped out the bottom first.

Looks feasible out of the top, but yeah, I don't think the trans is coming out with it. I've pulled engines out of the bottom on FWD cars with just jacks and jackstands to get it high enough. Not sure how easy that would be on the LS.

I would probably remove the hood first, then anything that's going to interfere...the engine will have to come forward, then up and out. A load leveler will help.

If you want it out quickly, just tie it to a thick tree with a good solid chain and hit it in reverse.
Engine OUT, NO problem!

I would certainly remove the hood, radiator, and intake manifold first.

I have a 2-ton shop crane and leveler. I have pulled the engine/trans out of my Z28 a few times.

... I have pulled the engine/trans out of my Z28 a few times.

Which had an engine compartment with clearance the size of a queen mattress!

s74.jpg

s85.jpg

s73.jpg

^ My old Z from the eighties.

When that GEN came out, I stopped liking the Z28

Pulled mine out the bottom in 1 night with three friends. I only rent half a garage with limited tools and very tight space. Dropped it out the bottom with the manifolds still on. Jacked the car up over the engine and slid it out.

You'll need three floor jacks and also two cherry-pickers. And a good assortment of hand tools.

Take off the hood to get it out of the way.

Disconnect hoses, wires, and other connections and disconnect the exhaust pipes from the manifolds. Take off the front wheels and position each of the jacks so as to support the engine/front suspension cradle and the back of the trans. Disconnect the trans from the drive-shaft and the trans mount and locate and disconnect the bolts that attach the cradle to the chassis. Go over all your disconnections and be sure that you haven't missed anything.

Lower front assembly/engine and trans. Once again be sure that all connections are loose.

Using your pair of cherry-pickers, lift the front of the car far enough to clear your engine, etc. and roll the car back for clearance.

You've 'pulled the engine'!!!

KS

Exactly what cam said. I did it with 1 jack, 1 picker and 4 stands. Kept the exhaust on until it was clear enough to get to. Keep your drive shaft bolts in exact order, its how its balanced. I also don't have a bumper cover so i picked the car up with the cherry picker via the bumper.

Members online

Back