Just wreckt the LS...

Yea, I have sent video to the police.

This guy was either on something, or just a crazy person. He was driving erratically and slammed on his brakes on the interstate. Luckily it was rush hour traffic and we were all going super slow.

After quick assessment, I think it is just:

Bumper
Hood
Grill
Airbag (and now seatbelt?)

If anyone knows how to get the belt working again - that would be great. I plan on trying to get an un-deployed airbag.

This is probably a question for joegr, do I need the driver's side retractor? Or a whole new belt or how does it work?

There's an entire black driver's belt on ebay for over $100.. JEEZ

This is probably a question for joegr, do I need the driver's side retractor? Or a whole new belt or how does it work?

You'll need to replace both the seat belt (it's a one time stretch) and the retractor (the explosive pretensioner is in it).

Figured after searching that you would say that.

Thanks for the help. Looks like I may be buying this one from ebay. It is too dangerous to drive without an airbag AND seatbelt.

Those crazy truck drivers I tell ya, sorry for your troubles drizz, such a shame, hoping everything goes smoothly on the repairs, least it's not a write-off.

PS: was it a semi or a pickup truck?

Pickup truck. Sorry for the confusion.

Police are still trying to ID the owner. It was a specialty tag, so they have to get ID through the issuing Indian tribe. Which is apparently a total PITA.

Anyone got the scoop on Mclaren grills these days? Mine is exploded into a thousand pieces on the interstate.

I am sure they are even more insanely priced. I think I got mine for around $200.

If you want a McLaren grill get some sheet metal and a half inch drill bit. At least a metal one wouldn't explode.

Anyone got the scoop on Mclaren grills these days? Mine is exploded into a thousand pieces on the interstate.

I am sure they are even more insanely priced. I think I got mine for around $200.

Black one sold on ebay a couple weeks ago for almost $350

Oh yea, forgot about that. Damn $400 grill gone forever. I will definitely have to mention that to the adjuster.

Around here, don't know about your part of the woods, they don't give a rats-ass about aftermarket parts, you get reimbursed for stock. Only way around such if it was appraised and insured as modified. Total value kind of deal. Anything to not pay out.

Recent receipts for parts added or replaced can help up the compensation amount. Even if not so recent, it won't hurt to try.

I have the electronic payment receipt from 2010, showing $202.00 for the grill. But I would really like being reimbursed in today's price for these.. lol

Allstate only gave me the price I paid for the grill, and now it is worth twice as much. They said if I replace it and pay more than the 200, to submit a supplement form and they will review for reimbursement.

Grand total after deductible (which I hope I get reimbursed for, due to not being at fault).

$3200.00

They said my car is only worth about $5000, so a single headlight or another panel would have totaled me and they would have given me $4500 and buy the salvaged titled car back for $500. So for about $800 I get to keep a clean title.

I have found most of the parts I need already, having trouble locating a hood, and I am not 100% sure I can repair the bumper, but I think I will give it a shot.

Glad they are being held responsible. Don't know what insurance requirements are on the reservation, but hopefully he has coverage.

****ty about the damage. McLaren's are going for over $300 now? I paid $60 IIRC way back in the day.

holy sh!t, that couldn't get more intentional than that...

thank god you had a dash cam!

so can they be charged with anything other than a hit and run? its clear as day they meant to cause an accident which could cause someone to get seriously injured. were they trying some sort of insurance scam? dude really hates the color green...

From someone who investigates a lot of traffic collisions, this is a wet dream. However, I do not understand the intent from the Ram other than "I ****ed up, better take this tag off and leave.

I wish more people used dashcams. It's fairly easy to determine what happened on about 85% of crashes, 10% require some good investigation, and 5% really need to be totally reconstructed to figure out exactly what happened.

A whole fun cocktail of charges can be brought against this guy, and I hope that they were. Failure to yield, improper stopping, leaving the scene, in addition to the concealment of evidence which will vary by state.

If you guys are ever in an accident, get plates immediately. I tell people to just act like you are going to text it to someone and save it as a draft, or google it. It'll be in your search history later. People flee the scene more than people realize.

This is why I have a dash cam as well. But be glad you aren't in FL. No fault state. You would have been at fault for not controlling your vehicle. Total BS!

What dash cam do you use? I'm using a cheaply until I find one I like better.

PS. I bought my Mclaren grille a month or so ago for $254 on ebay. Got lucky. I was willing to go to $400.

Driver won't be charged with any citations unfortunately... The police didn't really care since there was no injuries. In Oklahoma, fleeing scene of injury/death accident is felony and fleeing scene of damage only accident is only a misdemeanor.

It was really my insurance company that did the brute force work to find the driver (because they wanted to be paid). The subrogation team ate this up. The subrogation was settled in 3 days (usually takes months).

But yes, we have no idea what the intentions of the driver was... I would think if it was for insurance scam, he would have stayed? However, removing a license plate in 12 seconds is pretty impressive... So it is likely he isn't exactly a straight shooter.

It turned out he was driving a company vehicle, so he maybe got fired? I don't even know his name.

Dashcamera is a BlackVue.

Members online

No members online now.
Back