Stalled and exhausted with the vtech kicked in yo

KStromberg

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Big Red finally got a couple worthy mods done that she has needed since the day I bought it. The car now has longtube headers custom fitted (horribly--don't ask) and a nice deep 4200 stall converter. Anyhow, MUCH improved performance since I bought the car back in October 2012. I'm hoping to hit the track in May and make some passes.

Check it out. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOIrPc0BskU&list=UUzAG3n7bbZ39T3azT66TiEA

Alright. I have been checking in every once in a while just to see post like this :) I've been curious about Big Red. Looking forward to the results. I notice it stays wound up similar to what mine does. Keeps it in the power band.

Alright. I have been checking in every once in a while just to see post like this :) I've been curious about Big Red. Looking forward to the results. I notice it stays wound up similar to what mine does. Keeps it in the power band.

Don, what tires were you running on the back when you got into the 11s? I was talking with another Mark8 guy that knows and races these cars and he said there isn't a drag radial that I would be able to put on my 18s that would hook at the track with an aggressive powerbrake or maybe at all for that matter because of the sidewall. He suggested that I go back to factory 16" wheels at the track that way I have more sidewall. This converter hits my tires like a ton of bricks. What are your thoughts on this? Also any thoughts about the factory IRS? I keep thinking it will be fine just thinking back to BUrbankLSC's days when he was cutting 1.5s and running 10.60s on his factory axles. Then again, I'm not certain what rpm he was powerbraking from either. I haven't even attempted a full powerbrake launch on this car yet. To be quite honest, the thought of it kinda scares me a bit. Any advice is appreciated, especially since you had a similar setup. And you were on just 8# of boost also right?

I had put a lot of time and thought into the tires and wheels. I really wanted 18" wheels also but I just couldn't find any good Drag tire for them So between weight and tire selection I went with the 17" Cobra-R wheels and in the back are Mickey Thompson Street ET's. Now they have different kinds. These are the Bias ply cheater slicks. M/T 3743 26x11,50x17 They said it was the only size that doesn't need a tube. They are 26.5" in dia. almost exactly the same as stock and with 4:10 gears work out perfect for the 1/4 mile 6,200 rpm in 3rd gear = 120mph. For your situation you may want to run what Driller runs. He runs a tire almost identical from Hoosier but in 16" and on stock wheels.

Don, what tires were you running on the back when you got into the 11s? I was talking with another Mark8 guy that knows and races these cars and he said there isn't a drag radial that I would be able to put on my 18s that would hook at the track with an aggressive powerbrake or maybe at all for that matter because of the sidewall. He suggested that I go back to factory 16" wheels at the track that way I have more sidewall. This converter hits my tires like a ton of bricks. What are your thoughts on this? Also any thoughts about the factory IRS? I keep thinking it will be fine just thinking back to BUrbankLSC's days when he was cutting 1.5s and running 10.60s on his factory axles. Then again, I'm not certain what rpm he was powerbraking from either. I haven't even attempted a full powerbrake launch on this car yet. To be quite honest, the thought of it kinda scares me a bit. Any advice is appreciated, especially since you had a similar setup. And you were on just 8# of boost also right?

Kirk,

These 18's work for me. Drop them to 15psi, and run 11's all day until they wear out lol :) BTW, I launch from idle.

DSC02316.jpg

DSC02317.jpg

DSC02320.jpg

DSC02331.jpg

Flashing a high stall convertor can sometimes work better than just bumping up the Rpms to stall speed. It helps in planting the rear tires.

I have tried flashing mine and it always was worse ?? My best 60' is standing on the brake and throttle as hard as I can.

Kirk,

These 18's work for me. Drop them to 15psi, and run 11's all day until they wear out lol :) BTW, I launch from idle.

Thanks. I think they didn't made those back when I researched what to buy for mine. One things for sure they look a whole lot better than any stock wheels.

Kirk,

DSC02316.jpg

DSC02317.jpg

DSC02320.jpg

DSC02331.jpg

those look like (similar tread)Nitto 555 .that's what I was going to go with for 315 35 18 will give you 26 and a half height and 12 inch width should be plenty of me to hook up with.I assume it's a 10 inch rim you are using in the rear? And I had also considered a 285 40 18 at 27 inches tall

those look like (similar tread)Nitto 555 .that's what I was going to go with for 315 35 18 will give you 26 and a half height and 12 inch width should be plenty of me to hook up with.I assume it's a 10 inch rim you are using in the rear? And I had also considered a 285 40 18 at 27 inches tall

I had these M/T street radial in 17" on my Cobra and the may look similar to Nitto 555 but it ends there. I've ran both and the M/T are so much better.

Members online

No members online now.
Back