Intake manifold modification

robsMarkVIII

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
With the cost and low availability of the 96-98 Cobra intake has anyone thought about modifying our manifolds? From looking at all the different manifolds it looks like our manifold just lacks volume. This could be solved by changing the way air is admitted to the manifold. I have two 97-98 manifolds and I am going to modify one of them to increase airflow.

Any thoughts on this?

Ok, I went the same thought direction myself. There is very LITTLE room for improving the 97-98 intakes. The plenum area is way too small and restricted at the base, and due to the upper intake 'Y' positioned as it is, it chokes the ability for runner porting. Believe me, after cutting a 97 intake apart, I tossed it in despair.
I hate to say it, but either get the 96-98 Cobra intake or go C-head/intake swap.

I think you gave up to soon. I am going to get rid of the y and make an upper plenum. At the rear of the intake where the vacuum lines connect I will make another entry point for the lower plenum. The vacuum connectors can be placed on the new inlet. I will make a cardboard mock up soon, I will post pictures when I get to this point.

So let me get this straight; you are basically going to Hybrid a Gen2-Gen1 intake? Use a rear-entrance throttle body type set-up and get rid of the 'Y'?

At this point, just grab a pre-99 Lincoln Conti intake or use the 93-96 type with the later IMRCs.

Ok, after re-reading your post, it sounds like you are going to basically cut the tops off the runners and build a secondary plenum up top?

I know of one person who cut one open and fully ported/polished a stock intake with good results. Then welded it back together. Paying someone to do this would have been way beyond the cost of a cobra set-up. That guy did it just to do it since he easily had the skills and equipment. Don't ask for pics or threads. He has not been on M8 forums for years. But it is doable.

Members online

No members online now.
Back