Bad Cat

dosMarkos8to's

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a cat converter, left side ,on my '96 base that needs replaced. Will an OEM cat from a '96 LSC work in the base if all I am replacing is the manifold and cat? Any threads that step by step the R&R of a left side cat? Can a AM cat be welded in place of the stock cat and give good results. I would be concerned about getting the replacement in the exact position for a good fit.
Any help on the cheapest and easiest way to go is appreciated.

Yes, the base and lsc are the same manifold and cat. I've never used an aftermarket cat on a Mark VIII, but it would probably be just fine. If you have trouble finding one let me know, as I think I have several laying around at work.

Cheapest and easiest would be cutting your cat out and replacing it with a gasketed pipe. This does not work if you need to pass emissions testing obviously.

Soduka....would doing that require dropping the manifold...or is there enough room to cut and then get a good weld? I ask these questions because I cannot physically get under there to see for myself.

Thanks

Just got the code - p0430. I've seen several "remedies" for trying to clean out cats, any one tried Seafoam or lacquer thinner etc. in the gas?

Last edited:

Members online

Back