Mark VIII Air Ride / Vehicle Height Question

SonOfThomp

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello, all!
I have a '95 mark VIII with air ride. I get a CHECK AIR RIDE message, and it has to pump up after sitting over night--sometimes, during the day if it's below, say, 50.
It also feels a bit 'bouncy', and handling could be better, though it's the only MK8 I have ever been in. My previous ride was a Gen4 Prelude and the handling on the Lincoln is nowhere near that level, and I expected it to be closer to it.
SO
is there potentially an issue with my air system?
ALSO
the car sits kinda high; see pics.
Your observations?
THANKS

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/7362/nfEFgh.png
http://imageshack.com/a/img540/1365/yGByx5.png

you do have an air ride issue...the bags are leaking and if you dont replace them you will have to replace the bags and compressor down the line. Its better if you just replace the leaking bag before this happens bc then its going to cost more. Usually one bag is the one that leaks. Check on the for sale section i saw a couple of mark viiis being parted out. Also check ebay ive seen a couple of bags for sale on there aswell. If its one of the front ones it usually tilts more on the side where the leaking bag is at, in the back aswell.

You do have an air ride issue...one of the bags is leaking and if you dont replace it you will have to replace the bag and the compressor down the line. Its better if you just replace the leaking bag before this happens bc then its going to cost more. Usually one bag is the one that leaks. Check on the for sale section i saw a couple of mark viiis being parted out. Also check ebay ive seen a couple of bags for sale on there as well. If its one of the front ones it usually tilts more on the side where the leaking bag is at, in the back as well. If you want a new bag check americanairsuspension or arnott, but a new front bag is 499....let me know if you need help.

Точные высоты п&#1.jpg
Check this out. Ride hight can be ajusted a little moving anchors of hight sensors.

Front bags are about $400 at Amazon (Motorcraft AVS-16, Motorcraft AVS-17, one left & one right).

Точные высоты п&#1.jpg

Thanks. I wonder if it's time to go with springs which are $400 for the whole car.
It's the from that is lowered in the mornings.

The dimensions per the method shown are 630mm front, 640mm rear. Both sides even.
How did that happen? Can it be adjusted to correct height using the sensors? If not, how then?

Now I see, what you meaned by 'bouncy' :)

Use service manual for ajustment details.

And Mark 'on springs' - is just a restyled Thunderbird/Cougar with a huge motor...

Later year cougars and thunderbirds got a very similar motor to what we have.

Just because your system needs to "Pump Up" after overnight sit, does not automatically mean you have a bad air bag. There are only (2) items per wheel that have air pressure applied to them when the air pump IS NOT running. They are: air bag & air bag check valve/solenoid. My '97 MK VIII still has the original air suspension w/the exception of the air pump which was changed due to complete failure. I recently had my R/H front suspension leak air overnight to be completely down in about 10 hours. I first checked the airbag with spraying it w/soapy water mix to locate any air leaks. Could not locate any. I then replaced the o-rings on the air bag check valve/solenoid. I thought I fixed it as it held air for a complete 10 hrs., but after driving it to work the next day, it leaked down some (not as much before) while sitting @ work. Swapped the R/H front air bag check valve/solenoid w/the L/H front air bag check valve solenoid. Problem switched to the L/H side! Ordered new solenoid from AMAZON.com http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZKM29U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Total cost $21.70!! Much better than "Shot-gunning" a $400+ strut/air bag. Do a little trouble shooting before you buy, it really is a simple system to fix, & once fixed, you'll be glad you stuck w/the factory air ride. Good Luck.

Thank you all.
I still wonder what to do about the "bouncy" ride and mediocre handling, which I am convinced us due to the excessive height. There could be two problems here.
Idea: what happens when a technician neglects to switch off the air ride system before lifting the car off its wheels?

To fix the bouncy, you must modify both front and rear air suspension for a firmer ride.

Once that's done, adjust the air ride setting.

Finish that off with a four wheel alignment.

Bouncy ride meaning it is soft? Continues going up & down (oscillating) after going over bump or dip in the road? From your pics, your car sits quite high. Using the instructions given to you by todd2fst4u, lower your car to a height you prefer & test drive. Remember, @ highway speeds (I think above 45 mph) the ride adjusts itself approximately 8/10 ths of an inch lower, so keep that in mind when lowering you car so that it is not riding on the snubbers & will bounce pretty severely.

bouncy can also mean blown shocks.
this is more common with the first gen style of air shocks.
and even worse with the aftermarket offerings.

@fordknutt, both sides leak down in front. 'Bouncy' means it kind of hovers a bit over rolling dips, goes higher in reaction that I would expect.

@All: I'm going to try sensor lowering. I still wonder how it got to the current height.
They say, always turn off air suspension before lifting car. What happens if you don't? Perhaps the situation I have?

Also, what advantages does the current system offer over the coil replacement?

age changes the resistance of the height sensors. it is not uncommon for cars to sit a little higher with some age on them.
i see this alot.
adjust the sensors to wherever you want and be happy.

and the shocks internal to the air shock are more than likely worn out. causing the bounciness or the floaty feeling.

Maybe, we can try a little voice consulting througth Skype? Find me, user ID pilotsamara63.

fine powdered wax

Jesus Christ is the SON of GOD, who died and rose from the dead

to GIVE us eternal life.

He also promised to heal your body.
THIS IS TRUE LOVE!!!

(Just ask Him)

What the? Fine powdered wax?
Anyway, back to reality. I do wonder: why NOT convert to springs? Does the ride / handling suffer?

Some on here will say that if you go all out and spend the big bux on the highest quality components you can get your hands on the shocks/springs ride is identical or even improved over the OE airbags as well as being a lot simpler and not having to worry about being stuck somewhere with your car sitting on the ground. Others will basically tell you that your Mark is trash if it's on springs and there's no point on owning one if you're going to do that. It's up to you.

Some on here will say that if you go all out and spend the big bux on the highest quality components you can get your hands on the shocks/springs ride is identical or even improved over the OE airbags ...

all depends on your goals preferences.

the 96 is lowered with stiffer shocks.
i want it to turn, and yes, it is superior in that regard.

the 93 and 97 are on air.
i want the load leveling, i want decent handling, and i want ride comfort.
it has those, and i am pleased.

i drove a 97 on strutmasters, no load leveling but i expected the comfort and decent handling.
nope, way too soft for me. i walked away.

I love my Mk8. I really do.
It's a great car, 70k, but it's my daily driver, has minor air ride issues, and it's 20 years old.
So, I'm seriously considering springs, so I don't have to worry about being randomly, suddenly incapacitated.
IF that's my choice, what brand would you all suggest? I favor handling over ride.
THANKS

For springs I believe the big thing was Eibach and for shocks I heard very good things about Tokico Blue/Whites. Search under the companion year Thunderbird for the part numbers, nothing will show up if you search under Mark VIII. I don't know if you can get the shocks anymore however, I thought I saw that they stopped making them.

Stay with Air Suspension. Your car was designed for it and if you take care of the required maintenance your ride will be better than springs. This means, putting on the FOMOCO air struts when needed and getting a rebuilt compressor. On occasion a solenoid can fail, but they are readily available and easy to change. These systems have been on our cars for many miles and give years of service, and once reconditioned will perform again the same, and you won't get stuck without some advance symptoms and warning that something is starting to go amiss.

Hello, again. Now, the front air is out completely, chin nearly on the ground. The pump still works, but no change in height. I suppose it could be any number of things. Any ideas for most likely culprit?
Thx
SoT

Members online

No members online now.
Back