Triangle TR-968 245/45-17 95V

I was gonna say, even the medium boys around here will make any LS look like a civic.

the big boys, well lets just say, putting the LS up against the big boys from around here is like taking a box of bullets and no gun to a gunfight...

The others may not understand, but I do. Looking forward to future updates on how the Chinese tires hold up. If the thread stops being updated at some point in the future, we'll know the final outcome was.
I will keep the updates coming. Here's one now that's related to dry grip. This actually happened by accident and demonstrates the confidence these tires inspire because I wouldn't normally have the stones to do this.

I was coming out of downtown St Petersburg on I-375 West on the connector to I-275 North. I've taken the 2 lane ramp at 80 mph before and I thought that was pushing it. This time I approached at over 100 mph in the outside lane. The problem was, just beforehand, I was playing around and turned the AdvanceTrac off. Well, I forgot to turn it back on. So, I wound up above 100 mph on the outside of a turn that I usually take outside inside outside. I was next to the wall on the left when the rear started drifting out with no room to unwind. Something told me to hit the throttle and turn in at the same time and to my surprise, she stuck. I was actually able to steer with the throttle most of the way around the curve. I won't be doing that again. It wasn't until I stopped that I noticed the light on the AdvanceTrac switch was on.

Don't underestimate the non-M cars......
Oh, I don't underestimate the non M cars. I know some can be quick. I also know that the only advantage some of them have is one extra gear.

Everyone keep this in mind when challenging me about my LS. I take very good care of her! I don't just hop in and drive. It takes me 20 minutes to get her prepared before I even start her. Another thing, people who really know how to work a car for all it has don't go out looking to race. Novices do that. Novices get tickets too.

Another thing, people who really know how to work a car for all it has don't go out looking to race. Novices do that. Novices get tickets too.

I've taken the 2 lane ramp at 80 mph before and I thought that was pushing it. This time I approached at over 100 mph in the outside lane...So, I wound up above 100 mph on the outside of a turn that I usually take outside inside outside.

I hope ass-hats that do 100+ MPH on freeway ramps get tickets, too. :rolleyes:

You play with the big boys in your LS? what are you considering big boys? My friends STI will walk the LS and out corner it so are you playing with like honda's where you think your's is so great????
Since this is a thread about tires, will stick to the cornering aspect. That being said, there is no such thing as walk in cornering. I turned inside an STi just the other day. Boy was he surprised. The reason for this thread is to enlighten about tires that are good for the LS so you won't get beat up by the boy racers. I'm not saying I can go out there and pound on some guy who takes his Carrera out to track day on weekends. That would be dumb. I'm talking about the big money, think they can just buy their way into performance kind of people. Everyone should know, most people with cars that can outperform the LS, don't have the skill to make the damned thing do that. The drivers that are really reading what I write in this thread know exactly what I'm talking about.

I hope ass-hats that do 100+ MPH on freeway ramps get tickets, too. :rolleyes:
An ass-hat might get the ticket alright. That's why they are novices. Professionals don't get the tickets because they know when and when not to do the deed. Professionals know how to do it in front of the ticket writer and just get a nod of the head. That's the difference.

I don't play with the boy racers with my LS. I don't feel confident enough in the car to do so.

Don't play with them in my truck either. No challenge. Picking on a boy racer with the truck would be like beating up the 5 year old kid in the wheelchair.

Glad the tires are holding up for you, but I would still never trust Chinese tires on anything I cared about. Of course, that does mean the Chinese tires would be a good match for my LS.

Current pressures : 42f 39r psi

We had lots of tropical moisture drop on us today. Many surfaces were ripe for potential aquaplaning. The tread pattern pumps water away very efficiently. I did notice something about the compound, however. It seems these tires are very sensitive to temperature change when wet. I purposely traveled on surface streets frequented by heavy trucks and the like to see how they did in the oil stained portions. I was getting lots of wheel spin and slipping and sliding until I started acting like I was on the final formation lap of the Rolex 24. Then the tires really grip quite well. The temperature was 63deg F and the rain was constant. Later on I went into downtown to play on the open sections of the St Petersburg Grand Prix circuit. I was able to get some pretty good speed on there in near monsoon conditions.

Those Chinese have done their homework on this compound fellas. Really, I think some of you might wanna have a look if you can. You have to touch the tread and feel what it's like. The only way I can describe it is like a soft compound racing slick but with grooves cut in it. I can't rub my hand across these tires.

I don't know, I'll take your word for it BUT I just can't help recall when you first mentioned these tires in a past thread, I had a look for them on Google reviews and all I saw was folks bitching that they were terrible in the rain. Potentially they've gone to some next up revisions and made some corrections, very possible. As long as your good with them that's what counts.

I don't know, I'll take your word for it BUT I just can't help recall when you first mentioned these tires in a past thread, I had a look for them on Google reviews and all I saw was folks bitching that they were terrible in the rain. Potentially they've gone to some next up revisions and made some corrections, very possible. As long as your good with them that's what counts.
I think I read some of the same reviews. Like I said, these may not be for everyone. I am still puzzled about some of the reviews because I've seen bad reviews that say there is no traction and in the same review the person states the car was all over the road. That sounds like low inflation pressure to me. Then, I've seen other reviews that praise the tire for its durability and grip. The wet traction issue I can kinda see where some might have an issue. That's just from my experience yesterday. But, I can truly say, any wet traction problems people might have is absolutely not due to aquaplaning. Some people think a tire spec'd to deal with aquaplane resistance should also provide better grip on a wet surface at more sane speeds. Well, that's not always the case. Now, you get tires that bring $200 or more a piece like some of the guys earlier in the thread, then you can talk about getting some of that super wet traction at the more sane speeds. Those tires are made of a compound designed for that. Those tires will beat my tires in that realm until things get heated. I like driving at higher speeds on the freeway. I've been pounding on these tires in the city just for my fellow LVCers.

I'm not paid to push Triangle tires. I don't have any special love for the Chinese even though they think the world of our Buicks. I also have no hatred toward them. I love the food and the chicks are really really cute!

I actually have a philosophical problem with buying Chinese, not just the quality but the fact that so many of our jobs went over there that we're now hurting. I buy in order of preference US, North American, European, Australian/Japanese, South American, other Asian, go without if possible, Middle Eastern/Chinese if I absolutely can't do without. Even if I didn't have the philosophical issue with Chinese though, their quality record is so poor I'd rather not chance it. Africa is not on the list because there is so little made in Africa that it doesn't actually come up. What little is made in Africa comes from the northeast, which you may as well say is Middle East.

Even if I didn't have the philosophical issue with Chinese though, their quality record is so poor I'd rather not chance it.

you would be surprised at how much stuff you buy is /was partially built in china... there is just really no way around it

The past few days have been interesting here in Central Florida. The temps have been quite low at night reaching into the mid 30s. I had to check the tire pressures. Curiously, the rears tested at 32 psi the other day. The ambient temperature was 39F. The fronts tested at 35 psi so, it was no fluke. The funny thing is, I couldn't tell by looking or driving. The colder air makes this compound stiffen quite a bit.

http://reut.rs/1EHXthM

Interesting reading about ChemChina buying controlling interest in Pirelli tires for 7.1 Billion Euros.

Also, the Chinese Grand Prix is this weekend on NBCSN. During the runup and coverage of every race they have a segment about the tires they have at their disposal for the event. It is very informative and technical as Steve Matchett goes into the particulars of the different tire compounds, tire wear, and degradation. All of this goes into the strategy of competing in the race.

Until you get a group of known good tires and run the same course back to back with those tires and the triangles these opinions are merely subjective. At the limit testing, I doubt these tires would hold a flame to some very high end tires. From a country that is well known for a lack of innovation and a prevalence to copy, I am sure they are at least 90% as good as the tires they copied. End of the day the LS isn't capable of easily taking you to the limit of your tires, only especially awful tires would falter.

I also have the same discontentment as mentioned above with buying Chinese products when other comparable options are available. If they are anywhere even close in price, I'd buy US products every time before Chinese.

With that being said, I do like products from Korea, who do not share the same reputation as China. I am currently running Hankooks and they are nice. In recent years Hankook has secured a number of commendable OEM equipment contracts from Mercedes, BMW, etc.

Well, I thought the tires I had before were of known quality so, I based my assessment of these Triangles on the lackluster performance of the previous set. With that said, I am comfortable with the performance of these now as they significantly outperform the others. I know they aren't the best at everything but, they more than do the job I expect of them.

As far as the LS not being able to easily take me to the limit of my tires, I'd have to think about that. If I wanted to I could push it beyond the limit anytime I wish. That is one of the reasons I like these so much. When I get to the limit, there is a progressive release that inspires confidence and they seem to work well with the electronic nannies.

I also have the same discontentment as mentioned above with buying Chinese products when other comparable options are available. If they are anywhere even close in price, I'd buy US products every time before Chinese.
And some of us only consider Chinese if there is no alternative and doing without is not an option, regardless of price. 10 dollar Chinese vs 100 dollar American, I'm still buying American.

Well, I had a choice of a $100 Chinese or a $100 American. I chose the Chinese tire based on tread design and the rim protection.

16bfa32ee03fadca955ca09f481bd8a2.jpg

Well, the jury is in when it comes to TR-968 tires being suitable for the rain. In July, we got 14.3 in of rain which is the 2nd highest since 1945 and double the average. I have never driven on tires that handle wet roads like these. I can't remember aquaplaning once with these so far and I drive pretty fast. I've had other cars around me aquaplane and even wreck on the exact same section of road while I get no hint of loss of control whatsoever. This tread design really pumps out the water very well. There is a price to pay however, and that is on some roads, there is quite a bit of noise. I'm willing to deal with that for the peace of mind of having a car that can maintain a decent speed during a deluge.

I've only driven on one street legal tire that seems to approach the way these handle the water and that was the Cooper XST. They don't make them anymore.

That doesn't mean there aren't other tires out there that will do well as I haven't driven on all tires. I have done more research than most. Aquaplane resistance has always been the most important feature when I'm considering tires because, aside from losing pressure, that's the one thing you can't compensate for.

http://www.tbnweekly.com/pinellas_county/content_articles/081015_pco-01.txt

Members online

No members online now.
Back