Triangle TR-968 245/45-17 95V

Robot

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I decided to make this thread to write stuff about the so called "cheap" Chinese tires I've been driving on for the last few thousand miles.

If anyone is interested in a very good tire that works very well with our cars, check here once in a while.

Again with the tires dude? Did they offer you some kind of sales gig when you bought them? You seem to be promoting them pretty hard. :)

There are certain things that should not be cheaped-out on. Tires are one of those things. Mattresses, tools, shoes, peanut butter, sushi, women...all come to mind as well.

so called "cheap" Chinese tires

heres my two cents on this... when I think of Chinese and cheap (actual price, not build quality...) I don't necessarily think of low performance... I have bought many things out of china for a fraction of what the american version would cost... but while you very well may get some great performance, what would concern me would be the quality control of the product. and while the performance wound be able to be quickly measured, a flaw in manufacturing might only be able to be found out at the worse time!

I also have no problem whatsoever in you telling us your personal experience with them.

There are certain things that should not be cheaped-out on. Tires are one of those things. Mattresses, tools, shoes, peanut butter, sushi, women...all come to mind as well.

Peanut butter? That took me by surprise, agree on the others though.

Cheap tires also concern me, how did they perform in the rain?

This is just what I wanted, questions. I have the answers.

First off, thank you for visiting this thread. Yes, dude I am on the tires again. I started this thread specifically for the tire topic so it wouldn't clog up some other thread and piss everyone off. If you don't want to know about Chinese tires, don't come to the thread.

Performance in the wet is excellent. We get a lot of flooding here and the tread pattern resists aquaplaning very well. Wet traction on non flooded roads is very good with excellent response to weight transfer at the limit and a smooth onset of traction loss.

are you kidding me? lol, one time my wife brought home some bootleg PB, trying to spread that sh!t was like rubbing a cheese grater on a slice of bread, just shredded it all up. ruined three different pieces of bread trying to make a PB&J. threw that whole jar in the trash and had to go and get the good stuff. had to tell her"I'm sorry your mother never really loved you and fed this to you... I'll take all the cheap copy drugs and crap you want, but the one thing we don't skimp on is the PB!"

just after the last olympics, I had to grab a fresh jar out of the pantry, they had a bix light colored medal after the name and I was like, Oh No, who the hell bough the "Jifo" PB?
final-jms-oly-packaging-group-shot-15551163jpg-0cce3c67f06580ad.jpg

that was a close one...

final-jms-oly-packaging-group-shot-15551163jpg-0cce3c67f06580ad.jpg

are you kidding me? lol, one time my wife brought home some bootleg PB, trying to spread that sh!t was like rubbing a cheese grater on a slice of bread, just shredded it all up...

Someone beat me to it, lol. Yes, generic peanut butter is awful. I would much rather do without!

^^ That's actually pretty slick and very quick. OSHA would have a fit though. That's why stuff made here cost so damned much.

... I have bought many things out of china for a fraction of what the american version would cost...

Oh yeah, what were their names and did they at least make good PB&J sandwiches?
ahah.gif

No China love for the Robot in here by the looks.

Oh yeah, what were their names and did they at least make good PB&J sandwiches?
ahah.gif

I couldn't pronounce their names if I tried... and they could make anything well after you showed them how to do it, couldn't really tell them how to do anything.

You know, I started this topic in a separate thread so it wouldn't be in the way of members who would rather not discuss the subject. I thought I was being courteous. I guess courtesy doesn't count anymore because most of the discussion has turned toward PB&J. Now, I don't mind the occasional foray into other subjects but, at least try and come back to the subject. I have spent over a year deciding the size, compound, tread design, and manufacturer of the tire I chose. I originally chose the BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2 but the Triangle TR-968 has a slightly more open tread design and it incorporates the rim protection sidewall. It just so happens the Triangle tires are made by a company based in China. A company that has a facility in Akron, OH doing R&D work with the local universities to steadily improve on tire technology. These tires have been on the market for quite some time and Triangle has obviously made great strides towards developing a quality product no matter what the outdated reviews might infer.

I gave $424.00 wholesale for these and the BFGs would have cost me $478.00 from the Ford dealer. The BFGs would have cost $432.00 at the same place I got the Triangles. So, the Triangles aren't really that cheap... they just aren't really expensive.

In my opinion, these tires perform very well in wet conditions and on saturated road surfaces from 40deg F - 80deg F. I have more info for dry traction that I will place on here later.

I gave $424.00 wholesale for these and the BFGs would have cost me $478.00 from the Ford dealer. The BFGs would have cost $432.00 at the same place I got the Triangles. So, the Triangles aren't really that cheap... they just aren't really expensive.

In my opinion, these tires perform very well in wet conditions and on saturated road surfaces from 40deg F - 80deg F. I have more info for dry traction that I will place on here later.

That's pretty cheap...... My Michelin's were $980ish with a $70 instant rebate......

Robot, you should know by now the words "courteous" and "LvC" do not go together! but don't worry I got your six!

Robot, you should know by now the words "courteous" and "LvC" do not go together! but don't worry I got your six!

Case in point: read any thread in the last 5 years that mentions overheating, misfire, or no heat in the title

That's pretty cheap...... My Michelin's were $980ish with a $70 instant rebate......
Wow!!!! Michelin probably makes the best tires in the world but, they aren't that good. There is no way I would pay that much for tires if my car was going to be exposed to the sun like mine is. They would dry rot before the tread would wear away. I certainly wouldn't beat on them like I am these Triangles if I had to pay that much for them. My question would be, best at what? I'm not concerned about comfort. I want my car to be able to stick in the corners and be predictable while doing so. Comfort be damned and noise be damned.

Wow!!!! Michelin probably makes the best tires in the world but, they aren't that good. There is no way I would pay that much for tires if my car was going to be exposed to the sun like mine is. They would dry rot before the tread would wear away. I certainly wouldn't beat on them like I am these Triangles if I had to pay that much for them. My question would be, best at what? I'm not concerned about comfort. I want my car to be able to stick in the corners and be predictable while doing so. Comfort be damned and noise be damned.

Oh.... I beat on them!! The warranty is 40K (or is it 45K) miles and I'll probably get that. I want it all; quirt, comfortable and the ability to hit the corners faster than most any other 4-door sedan out there. The BMW is faster in the corners though......

Oh.... I beat on them!! The warranty is 40K (or is it 45K) miles and I'll probably get that. I want it all; quirt, comfortable and the ability to hit the corners faster than most any other 4-door sedan out there. The BMW is faster in the corners though......
I don't have a treadwear warranty on my tires. They are, however, guaranteed to be free of manufactured defects for up to 5 years. I've seen this before on this class of tire as these are classified as UHP. At the price you paid, I wouldn't do that to them. I get your needs though. If I had a need for comfort, I would have to buy another set of tires.

I'm not trying to brag too much but, I always said my car handled very well and as you said better than most. These tires grip like a scared kitten in a pit bull training compound. I didn't give BMW sedans a second look unless they had an M badge. I play with the big boys down here. Well, the ones that try to be big. I am actually afraid to push too hard in the dry anymore. That is not for fear of the tires giving up but for fear of the car giving up. I've earmarked 10% of my disability payment for new suspension components and I bought a scooter to get me around while I do the work.

The others may not understand, but I do. Looking forward to future updates on how the Chinese tires hold up. If the thread stops being updated at some point in the future, we'll know the final outcome was.

You play with the big boys in your LS? what are you considering big boys? My friends STI will walk the LS and out corner it so are you playing with like honda's where you think your's is so great????

Members online

No members online now.
Back