Would you buy another Mark viii?

I'm not comparing anything to anything.

The question was would I buy another MarkVIII.

I answered the question, and explained why. I think after having 13 different VIIIs, I've figured out why I don't want another.

My main gripe, is the close-minded mentalities that the orientation of the engine on a daily driven vehicle some how makes the earth spin backwards and immediately precludes it from consideration.

It's a moronic way to think about vehicles.

Yes. The orientation of the engine and which wheels are driven does indeed make the earth spin backwards and absolutely immediately precludes it from even being a possibility for consideration. At least in my opinion. Your mileage may vary. I, personally, have never owned a wrong-wheel-drive vehicle. And I never will. I've driven many. And that is exactly why I will never own one. Rear-Wheel-Drive is superior in almost every possible respect. The only exception being a very minor advantage enjoyed by wrong-wheel-drive in incliment weather conditions because all the drivetrain weight is over the wrong wheels. And that is only a crutch for people who don't know how to drive a real car in inclement weather conditions. A proper RWD car enjoys superior handling and ride characteristics as a result of better weight distribution. There is no torque-steer in a proper RWD car. Understeer is minimal in a RWD car as compared to wrong-wheel-drive. The body proportions and dash-to-axle ratio are far superior in a RWD car. In other words, RWD cars simply look better becasue the body is better proportioned. That's why all premium luxury car manufacturers make at least one, and sometimes all, REAR-WHEEL-DRIVE cars. Sideways engines and wrong-wheel-drive, in my opinion, should be reserved for cheesy little asian econoboxes, not Lincolns.

Everyone has their own preferences and i really don't get why people care about other people's preference. There is no doubt most newer cars feel better, are more efficient and faster. Some are better built with more detail and more features and better materials. The only thing a mark viii is better at than any other car is being a mark viii and that's why i have one. Cooled seats are nice, Bluetooth, sync, luxury features of the sort are all nice but that's not why i bought the car. I got nothing against any car, yes i don't like front wheel or the awd most fomoco cars have and some other things i nit pick but that's a preference. Does the mark viii become a better car than the taurus just because it's rwd... Hell no. Hell the Taurus is overall a car miles ahead of being a nicer car. However for me the drive train or the car isn't something i will ever get attached to. Nothing makes me interested in the car or bond with it. Most people who buy a mark viii are either getting it cause they are cheap or they genuinely like the mark even without those features. I personally will always have one because it's not about how fast, how many features blah blah but because it's a mark viii. Plus it's nice to have a car that is unique but that's my preference, some apparently don't care about that.

There are some people who would pick a new ford mustang cobra over the 03-04 cobras. Personally is if was given the choice i would get the 03-04. Why? It's slower, it's cheaply made, lacks most features but something about it makes me bond to it... It's better at being what I'm looking for and that's all it comes down to. This was typed on a phone so excuse the errors.

I would never own one as a car I depended on. I love the mn12/fn10 chassis so I will probably have one as long as it is reasonable to do so, but it will always be a toy. So if something tragic happened to mine yes I think I would replace it.

Ahh.. It all makes sense now.

Well said.

I would never own one as a car I depended on. I love the mn12/fn10 chassis so I will probably have one as long as it is reasonable to do so, but it will always be a toy. So if something tragic happened to mine yes I think I would replace it.

I've been dd'ing mine for the last 4 years. Northern climate, 160k, lowered and it has never *Crosses fingers* left me on the side of the road or has it ever failed to start. Guess I just take care of it and a bit of luck as well. I agree with you though, for the average Joe I wouldn't recommend one as a DD.

I've been dd'ing mine for the last 4 years. Northern climate, 160k, lowered and have never *Crosses fingers* broken down or has it ever failed to start. Guess I just take care of it and a bit of luck as well. I agree with you though, for the average Joe I wouldn't recommend one as a DD.

7.5 years here.
2 crank sensors, 2 starters, several alternators, and a trans in about 80k between 2 cars. so you know, general maintenance stuff. and my cars have mileage too.
only the trans left me dead in the water. even with the starters, the car would start cold, and the CKP would limp me around for 5-10 minutes at a time.
i've been good to my cars, and they have been good to me.

Last edited:
I too daily drive my Mark in the summer. The worst occurrence I've experienced yet was the factory Motorcraft alternator failing after 18 years and 105k miles. And I think that was really only because I put a lousy battery in the car, it was about 8 years old and kind of weak and questionable as it was. So in reality, the car has performed admirably rain or shine, but of course, it has been well maintained as well. So if you don't take care of it, I'm sure it makes an awful daily driver. But when maintained, they could be driven to Spain and back if it were possible. So, like any other decently built automobile then, really. I would not be afraid to drive mine across country personally.

Members online

Back