Would you buy another Mark viii?

I would definitely buy another one!!! I've had 3 and loved them all! I just can't afford it right now. But in another month or so I will be in a position to get another one. I'm looking around now for one close by that I can get for $1k or less. Sort of as a "project" to tinker with. I love my 'Bird, but it's just not a Mark VIII. I want another one so bad I just can't stand it! I'm partial to the GEN1 but not the '96. I had a '96 and it was awesome, but too many '96 specific parts that won't interchange with other years. I need a '95 LSC that I can play with. I've got a lot of ideas for lighting and other mods I want to try.

I've been trying to hard to convince my wife to let me buy her a Mark for her next car. She just absolutely will not budge.

07 Corolla it is :/

20150118_083601_zps7reqjd6e.jpg

After driving this rocketship through good weather, bad weather and everything in between, I can tell you that, NO I won't be buying another MarkVIII. The new generation of cars is lightyears ahead of the VIII platform.

20150118_083601_zps7reqjd6e.jpg

After driving this rocketship through good weather, bad weather and everything in between, I can tell you that, NO I won't be buying another MarkVIII. The new generation of cars is lightyears ahead of the VIII platform.

Who cares? Personally, I wouldn't have one of those new "Lincolns" if you gave it to me. The engine is sideways, driving the wrong wheels (even in the AWD models, the majority of engine power goes to the wrong wheels), it's missing two cylinders, it's too tall, too bulky, has way too much front overhang, has a huge ass end, it's too cramped on the inside for my taste, the beltline is so high you can't hang your elbow out the window without dislocating your shoulder, and it looks too much like what it is...a Taurus in a silk suit.

Besides, our love of the Mark VIII isn't about what kind of platform it sits on...well...actually, I guess it is. Because the Mark VIII is a proper RWD, longitudinally mounted V-8 engine powered Lincoln. As it should be. It has 4-wheel independent suspension. 4-wheel ABS disc brakes. Air ride. Luxurious leather interior. All the bells and whistles. And styling that was ahead of its time then and still looks absolutely fantastic now. The Mark VIII was the last Real Lincoln. The last of the illustrious "Mark" Series. It's a beautiful, amazingly cool automobile. I want another one so bad. These new ones are why Lincoln is not even in the same league as Cadillac anymore. Lincoln has gone so far down market, they might as well start calling them Mercurys.

Engine sitting sideways, why does that matter anymore? It's still easy to work on, when you actually have to anyway.

Missing two cylinders? Get used to it, it's a sign of the times.

Driving the wrong wheels even in AWD? I dare you to notice any kind of difference with this Taurus. Full throttle jackrabbit starts are effortless with no tug on the wheel.

Too Bulky? The MarkVIII is'nt exactly the poster child of Jenny Craig.

Too tall? Opinion

Front overhang? Take a look at the MarkVIII, Bud

Huge ass end? Opinion again

Cramped? I'm 6' 185 and have no problem fitting.

Beltline? again, at 6' I dont have a problem sticking my arm out the window.

In response to the Lincoln's trim and features, I can only say you're arguing apples to oranges here. The interior of even this low optioned SHO is light years ahead of the MarkVIII on it's best day. Materials are better, fit and finish is better, design is more ergonomic and user friendly.

Say what you want about the new fangled cars, what with their funny sideways engines and wierd AWD system, but I'll put money on a light to light dig, or a high speed pull on the interstate that I put more lengths on you than you could imagine.

All on regular pump gas and the A/C on.

SHO > Mark VIII. sorry dude. a tune away from 12s with seat warmers and AC.
Let me fix that....SHO> modded Mark VIII.
A high dollar mark build might beat it out of the hole but that's about it, any daily driven Mark stands little chance.
They are dam nice cars, enjoy it Mike.

I was looking at a SHO. Quite a impressive car ,but being 6 ft tall I had to put the seat back to be comfortable, and when I looked out the left window, all I saw was The pole, not a window. Had to lean forward to see if anybody was coming at me.

I'd still take a Mark. :) No car payment vs $400+/month for 5-7 years, immediate depreciation hit.. No thanks. Maybe it's the "frugal" side of me but I could never just throw away money like that.

There's no doubt in my mind though that it's far superior. I'd love to own one.

I would be smarter about buying one, but yes, I would buy another MKVIII.

These cars, like the Mustang in this respect, have a way of getting under your skin and into your blood. I bought my 97 to use as a donor for a Mustang project (and it was needing quite a few things when I bought it, so it would have been the perfect candidate for this purpose). When I drove the car (to shake out any drivetrain issues it might have had), it was a very nice car (I fixed quite a few of the issues if that tells you anything) and I found myself liking it. I put 20,000 miles on the car in 4 months before I bounced it off a guardrail at 35mph. I could have killed it then and used it for the intended purpose. Instead, I am putting the money into it to fix it and fix it RIGHT so that I may continue to enjoy the car.

Yeah, the MKVIII gets into your blood............................................................ :)

I don't think I will be buying another one anytime soon. Not because I don't like them, it's because I already have 4 of them.:D

I've also got enough spare parts to help keep these running for quite some time.:)

The last one I bought only cost me a grand (and some of my spare parts and labor) and I only keep liability insurance on them, so they are very cheap for me to drive.:cool:

I'll NEVER buy a car with a sideways engine driving the wrong wheels. I don't give a flying monkey's ass how "superior" it is claimed to be. And I will buy another Mark VIII. Just as soon as I can afford it.

I've already technically replaced my Mark VIII, but haven't gotten around to getting rid of the one I have! I've been driving,and put more miles, on Mark VIII's longer than most people on here. I got my 1993 in 1996 and put 225k miles on it and have put almost 100k on my 1998 LSC that I got after that 1993 died.

Here's the replacement car, 2010 Challenger SRT8 with pistol grip.........
challenger.jpg

I never got around the selling the 1998 Mark VIII LSC and convinced the wife, why not just keep it? It isn't worth much, and I'd rather put the miles on that then the newer cars.

Now, if you put an almost perfect 1996 LSC or Red Gen II LSC in front of me, AT A REASONABLE PRICE, I'd probably by it. I made an attempt to buy Doug's Mark VIII, but my offer wasn't enough and I also attempted to by the supercharged Gen II on LOD
http://www.lincolnsofdistinction.or...98-CE-Supercharged-57K&highlight=supercharger
, but that sold too fast.

challenger.jpg

Well, Im going to have to agree that this car grows on you for sure. I had to borrow my wife's 2003 toyota corolla (w/73k on it) when my tie rods were being worked on & WOW! What a difference! First thing I noticed right of the bat was shutting the door. I felt like I was in an aluminium can! lol. Then driving it compared to Mark was exactly the same feeling like I was vulnerable. I didn't know how much the Mark grew on me till I drove that god awful car. Buy another after this one? IDK, depends on what Im looking @.

:p

You should know better. :D

The SHO has MacPherson struts. The Mark VIII has upper and lower control arms. Completely different suspension system designs. Duh... :rolleyes:

Cool, didn't know SHO had a short-long arm suspension setup.

I've had so many & frankly, it's never enough. I'm in the process of buying a house & I know in the farthest distance, there may be a chance (really far) that I may need to sell my car in order to pay for a complete perimeter fence for my property. It's 1/2 acre property & all the estimates my dad has been getting for his 1/2 acre run at about $4k. That being said, I always have a back up even to my back up. If the Mark goes, my wheels & accessories stay, only to buy another one & throw everything on it again. :D

So, should you buy another Mark VIII should something happen or should you want a chance? Sure, I'd just swap color, something different so you feel like you've definitely made a change. Other than that, we know these are die hard cars.

Is that really a question....no matter what...nothing feels like a MARK VIII. Two 95 LSCs Sthl & the newest to the fleet is Pearl, & of course my heartthrob - Tux ...I'll never forget.....test driving car after after car after car when Blue passed (my 1st Mark)...lol neither will the Salesman...I freaked out driving some piece of crap he was trying 2 sell...feeble interior...lame exterior...one after the other.. - finally while testing "his best" ..after accellerating from stop to 70 then breaking...I started yelling n cryin tellin him ..."this POS is nothing compared to a Mark... $/%$$#&!!!"... and them some...I knew then there was nuttin else

In a cocain heartbeat, i would get another mk8. Had three mk8 and would love another one but not in the budget. If i had the funds to get a mk8 i would want Geno's mk8. Been a few years that i have had a mk8 and man i miss that ride.

Folks, the argument is moot. You're not comparing the same things. I compare my '98 LSC to a same year BMW. Same power, weight, driving wheels, etc. Yet the ones I see on the lots have more lights blinking on the dash than our cars even have. My personal logic goes that I want V8 power and sound, with rear drive and two doors. Very limited choices, especially with my wife limiting my budget to $5000. She gets priority, as she still works and needs the look. I believe some option packages cost that much on the Taurus. Would I like the rush of twin turbo all wheel drive power? Of course, no gearhead would turn it down. But life is a compromise and this is one of mine. That I have found such a great car to "compromise" with the the real news here. Now that I can fix it with a little familiarity makes it win - win. Now, if I could get parts cheap, I'd have three in the win column. At my age, I expect to keep this to the end. A '98 that recently turned 100k should make it, right?

Members online

Back