Help me pick a new daily driver

GSxTC

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, my 2011 Cruze was totaled hitting a deer on the interstate. Right now I'm daily driving my '94 z28. Poor thing has never seen bad weather, and it's terrible!!

So, here's the deal.
$3500 cash to spend, I want to avoid a payment.
140 mile round trip commute, 70 each way, 68 are interstate.
Needs to average 25mpg or more at 65ish mph.
I live in WI, snow can be a concern, but not a huge issue. I think any heavy luxury car will be ok.
I don't want another miserable economy car. I was very happy to see that Cruze go.
Parts availability and reliability would be nice. I can work on anything, I'm an ex master tech and specialized in European stuff. That said, I'm avoiding Audi and BMW for that reason.
Needs to serve as a backup family car. 4 doors isn't required but a back seat is.

Here's my list so far:
1) mark VIII LSC- I've had a few, I'm familiar with the platform, great cars. They're getting a bit harder to find though, and back seat is doable but small.

2) Lincoln LS- I really like these, but hear horror stories of parts availability and reliability. I got out of being a wrench while most of these were still under warranty, so I don't have much long term experience.

3) 2000-2003 Cadillac STS- I've always liked these cars, but early Northstars were a giant pita! I've heard they were better after 2000. The FWD is a small bonus in snow. The head bolts pulling threads could be a deal breaker.

4) 1998-up Town Car- arguably the most boring, but very bulletproof car. I could toss on a turbo and have a sweet daily drivable sleeper.

The fall back right now is a Crown Vic p71 and turning it into s Maurader clone on boost. I also have the mildly built engine from my last Mark VIII on a stand. Some drunk lady decided I didn't need the car anymore and rear ended it 2 weeks after getting that engine in. It could be dropped in the Towncar or Vic.

The order listed is the order of preference right now. The LS and STS are very easy to find clean, but they worry me a lot.

What do the knowledgable people of LVC have to say? Help me out please guys!

Mark VIII- Suspension problems is the biggest deal with them, and parts.

LS- Coils and cooling system from what I have read.

STS- HG and If it comes with magnetic ride, it will be expensive!

Town Car- Plastic intake

If I wanted a reliable and comfortable family car, Town Car is it. Mark VIII and LS have their problems, so you would have to decide which you wanna deal with. Leave the STS alone, unless you can do HG cause that is $2000 job.

The Mark suspension I can handle, coil swap worst case. I think it's between that and the TC. I also have a bunch of M8 parts left from old part outs which helps.

I've done Nstar hg before. Older model STS's, had to time sert the things. If they didn't fix that with the revision I'm out!

Back in July, I did a set of Headgaskets and studs on my brothers 98 sls. Very time consuming. If you decide on this car, you can get them for pretty cheap. If the car has an overheating issue, call Carroll custom cadillac and get his studs for your particular year. Also replace all of the other seals and gaskets, plus check the blow off valve on the passenger side of the intake. It also leaks vacuum due to age.

Members online

No members online now.
Back