Need Help! How to Replace AC Compressor with Component Kit?

dtwizzy

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello, my 01 LS air conditioner compressor doesnt work I informed by Merchant Tire that the compressor is bad and the clutch and was quoted $1100+ for parts and labor and system charge. I noticed that when turning the A/C on there was a clicking noise that was coming from the compressor I also was informed that I have a pin size hole in one of the hoses all of the refrigerant leaked out.

The summer is approaching and I do not want to be without air conditioning again(went through this last summer). With that said I need to replace the compressor and components listed in the parts list provided with the link below from Rock Auto.

(http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=5688918&cc=1373903). Comperssor and Component Kit

My question is how difficult is it to replace the compressor and does anyone have any pictures of replacement steps? I will not charge the system myself I just want to cut some of the costs and install the part myself. I have replaced brake pads and rotors, front and rear stabalizer bar links, change my own oil spark plugs, I dont want to get in over my head here, and I have never replaced a part that is attached to a belt. If you guys can give me some help, ideas and if possible some pictures on this repair and how difficult it may be will be a great help. I surely dont want to go another summer without my A/C, nor do want to trade in the LS! LOL Thanks a lot LvC community!!!

Changing the compressor is easy, as is the receiver/dryer. I don't see a hose on the list. (You said one of the hoses was leaking.)

However, I see that you have the expansion valve on the list. This is very, very difficult!!!!!!
Here's how: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?76669-Dash-Board-Removal-Thread

Are you/they certain that the expansion valve is bad? Or, do they just have a boat payment coming due?

They didn't say that the other items in the kit were bad but I figured I would get them anyway just in case but at the moment only the compressor is the main issue. Far as the hose I'm just taking it one step at a time I figured I would get the most expensive part first! Thank you for your help and link!

Changing the compressor is easy, as is the receiver/dryer. I don't see a hose on the list. (You said one of the hoses was leaking.)

However, I see that you have the expansion valve on the list. This is very, very difficult!!!!!!
Here's how: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?76669-Dash-Board-Removal-Thread

Are you/they certain that the expansion valve is bad? Or, do they just have a boat payment coming due?

They didn't say that the other items in the kit were bad but I figured I would get them anyway just in case but at the moment only the compressor is the main issue. Far as the hose I'm just taking it one step at a time I figured I would get the most expensive part first! Thank you for your help and link!

You do want to replace the receiver/dryer. It is almost certainly all used up now.
The expansion valve is a good idea on cars where you don't have to remove the entire dashboard to get to it. The LS is not one of those cars. I'd leave it as is.

The only pain with the compressor is turning it the right way to get the old one out and the new one in. Be sure to replace all the o-rings at each connection that you open. (Two at the compressor, and two at the receiver/dryer.) Put a little compressor oil on each o-ring. If you get a compressor that is already loaded with oil, be careful not to spill it out while installing it. Be sure to let the people evacuating and charging it know if the compressor came with oil or not, and let them know that you have a new receiver/dryer without any oil in it. Really, evacuating and charging the system is not difficult. If you don't have a vacuum pump and gauges, you can rent them.

Members online

No members online now.
Back