Chrome advice

SeaPro

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about painting the chrome trim on my LS black. I'm looking for some advice as to how I should go about it.

Also, I want an LSE grille, but can't find one anywhere. Have any of you had any luck with spray chrome?

This is what I'm thinking about achieving
mod grille.jpg

This is the 'chrome' I'd like to paint black.
IMG_7553.jpg
IMG_7554.jpg
IMG_7557.jpg
IMG_7569.jpg

IMG_7553.jpg

IMG_7554.jpg

IMG_7557.jpg

IMG_7569.jpg

mod grille.jpg

I used plasti dip on my chrome grill and rear surround... 3 or 4 coats of black and then 3 or 4 of clear... I think im going to have them painted though bc the black of plasti dip of course doesnt match the black paint... but it works in the short term... I dont have the chrome on the bumpers but im sure you could do the same there... ive never used the chrome spray paint... not sure how it would turn out... im sure it would be fine as long as you prepped the surface...

I've enever seen chrome spray paint turn out any better than silver mettalic. Maybe I've just had bad paint or prep. Definitely test on something else first

could do a wrap with .... tinfoil?

j/k

painting the chrome is no different than any other metal surface. The chome on our cars is metal, its just a thin foil like surface on top of a plastic part. Scuff it down really well, then use a self etching primer, then sand that and do another coat if you broke through the primer anywhere. Next sand with 200-300 grit and hit it with a light sanding primer, use heavy build primer if you have nics and scratches still. Then sand with 600 or higher do a couple base coat coats and then if you don't use the flash time sand with 1500 or so an clear. If your paints are not all the same base they must cure between coats. Meaning if you use a lacquer paint and a urethane clear the paints must cure, not just dry between those coats. If they are all the same base you can use the flash time and spray the next coat while it still has tack and they will bond fine. Lacquer and Urethane will attack each other.

and then if needed wet sand with 2000-3000 and buff to a great shine.

I have played with the chrome paint a couple times a long time ago and they simply look like a high metallic silver. I have no clue how you could get a chrome look, maybe with a **** ton of wet sanding and buffing.

Well I decided to sand down all the chrome and paint it black, and I've got to say that I'm more than pleased with the result. I used some 320 grit sand paper and sanded all the chrome down to bare metal. Then I washed the pieces, and cleaned with alcohol. Once everything was completely dry I primed with a self etching black primer, sanded, cleaned then painted with four coats. The front was painted with a so called 'paint match' I got from an automotive place (about $40 per spray bomb). The back license plate surround was done later (because it involves removing the plate and i was too lazy to re-attach it while i worked) using a cheap $15 spray bomb of Honda black, which believe it or not turned out WAY better than the 'match' I got for more than double the cost...

Anyway I'm a step closer to that sexy LSE look hahaha. This is such an easy project, and relatively cheap considering the quality and result I got. I recommend anyone with that hideous chrome give it a shot.

Also, I ordered the chrome grill from a member here, foolishly I paid $100 USD for the insert alone, but I wanted it and could afford it at the time (Although it arrived with all the clips missing, something the seller neglected to inform me prior to shipping).

IMG_0799.jpg
IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

Looks good man! Another option would have been black vinyl, got a black 03 in the driveway that was done like that and you can't tell it was not meant to be.

How's the texture? It looks great from here. When I painted my grille black it came out with noticeable orange peel. It looks shinier than plastidip, but not as shiny as the car due to the texture. I have a rear surround I'm going to paint black and another grille to redo it. Any advice?

Not sure if its too late, but the texture came out great. The front grill is probably the worst of them all though. I blame the paint I used though. I had it made up at a body shop as a match, but it's far from that. I recommend just going to a place that sells many kinds of automotive spray bombs and just eye matching the color. I didnt clear coat, im not sure if that would look better or not.

I actually just did some painting last week with much better results than my grille. I gave it two dusting coats before a full coat. I'm giving it some time to cure before I topcoat it

View attachment 828473349

Members online

No members online now.
Back