Front struts - replace

lincolnelite

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
My front struts started to squeak lately, was wondering if somebody tried replacing the front struts with passive gas types instead of the electronic (semi-active) ones? I'm leaning towards buying the suncore industries front strut conversion ($249) with instructions on how to disable the VDM for the front. I still want my rears to be air since it's doing fine.

Dont forget your car has rear shocks as well as the air springs.
I'm aware of that. Our contis has 4 electronic suspension (semi-active) which controls the "vehicle handling" mode (firm,plush,normal), only the rears has the air bag. Just trying to get some opinions and experiences out there. Suncore seems to sell parts that were reconditioned/reman, might as well buy something like KYB, Monroes,etc...

I'm thinking of buying the OEM front struts in Amazon which totals to almost $500 for both but I'm not so confident that my air ride system will last longer, so if I could put in a non-electronic suspension right now it will be cheaper to do the rears later.

just checked the price in Amazon, one of the strut got a price correction and is now more expensive than rockauto (it was $178 and $264 yesterday, today the $178 becomes $259)

with rockauto, the OEM electronic are priced below (the suncore at $249 is cheaper but you have to transfer the coil spring)

Part Price Quantity Total Remove
Click to Jump to This Car in the Part Catalog1998 LINCOLN CONTINENTAL 4.6L V8
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogSuspension : Strut
MOTORCRAFT Part # AST121 {#3U2Z18124AC, AM925G, F8OC18045AA, F8OZ18124AA, G18045GA} (Only 1 Remaining)
Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide. Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide. Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Mexican Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide. Front Right; w/ Automatic Adjustable Suspension A
$234.79 $234.79 Remove Part
MOTORCRAFT Part # AST122 {#3U2Z18124AD}
Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide. Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide. Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Mexican Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide. Front Left; w/ Automatic Adjustable Suspension B
$268.79 $268.79 Remove Part
Subtotal $503.58
Some parts in your cart have alternates which could ship together and reduce shipping cost! Find out how.

Discount -$25.18
Shipping from 2 locations:
Shipping Location A Ground (3 to 4 business days, You should receive by December 4) $9.23
Shipping Location B Ground (2 to 6 business days, You should receive by December 8) $9.36
Total $496.99

A little off topic but not far and I'm sorry ahead of time. I had a 2001 conti a few years back. As much as I liked the car it had to go when the trans showed its true colors. (Also wished the whole time I had it that it was a 5 passenger model and not a 6). Do you notice a difference with the different handling settings? Mine only had the steering assist level. It would've been really nice if it rode less like a town car. I'm just curious as I'm always looking for another 1998-2002 conti.

I've had two new factory struts fail. Original failed my fault, nasty bump in the road at speed. Most recent one sprayed the fluid out the side fitting, the one the electronics hook up to I think, destroyed all the rubber bushings on that side of the car and wrecked a good set of tires. Still I would use nothing but the factory strut, even so far as to hunt down a good used one if money was really tight, as they should last a very long time.

All the rubber boots wrecked, so I had lots of squeaks, most annoying turned out to be very poor Motorcraft sway bar links, they are plastic and the joints can't be lubed. Replaced with MOOG, no more squeak hopefully ever.

Mess with the factory suspension and plan on resale value taking a huge hit. Its something I look for since I "know" the suspension pretty well, is to find a car with a bad or non factory suspension since they go so cheap.

Members online

No members online now.
Back