HID Conversion Kit Ballast Placement

Eurythmian

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
For those of us who have upgraded to using HID Conversion Kits, where is a good location for Ballast placement for the High Beams and Fogs? I placed the Ballast for the low beams on the underside of the headlight housing.

I've exhausted my search on this forum and all I can find are discussions about HID vs LED. and most from Mark VIII owners. I can't find anything for the LS.

I wouldnt recommend HIDs in the high beams for a couple reasons , one its overkill if you are going to also use HIDs in the lows, two it kills you ability to flash people to signal them or whatever, if you do flash them with HIDs it will burn out the bulb quicker, as for your fog light location for the ballasts , I placed mine inside the splash guard surrounding the fogs, I have a HID and Led combo going on, I have 6000k HIDs in the lows and have 6000k 80 Watt LEDs in the High beams, I love this combo , as for the HID vs LED debate , HIDs win that one , LEDs are long lasting and are great looking but when it comes to light input most of them fail

Thank you... I probably won't use the HIDs in the high beams for that very reason. I get plenty of light output with SilverStars and hardly use them anyway. I am so pleased with the HID H11 Low Beams I put in. There is really no comparison with the amount of light output. But now I need the fogs done. They make the 9006 SilverStars I have in there look weak. Can't really tell there are even on when driving.

Now I just need to locate the splash guard for the fogs. I know that sounds stupid, but... this is all pretty new to me.

here are some pics of my set up , light output is no issue

IMG_20140608_122818.jpg

IMG_20140410_201253.jpg

IMG_20140502_192722.jpg

Hey guys! What conversion kits did you use for the HID and the LED? I really like the configuration you guys have going on, I want to do something similar but I want to make sure I buy a good quality kit without completely breaking the bank. Looked around on other threads but I cant find much for the Lincoln ls. Thanks!

Thanks very much 1LoudLS! I do not know much about HID kits, Did you go with the 35w or 55w kit? all I know is that it changes the brightness slightly and limits the life span a little bit, would the 35w vs. 55w affect the installation or wiring to the car?

I thank you again for helping me out.

would not affect the wiring at all, however (in my opinion) 55w kits would be blinding and dangerous to oncoming drivers in low beams or fog lights

Thanks! When I do go to put in the kits Im gonna set them up right, I don't wanna be the d-bag blinding people. Best way I heard is to park car and shine lights on garage door or something, mark where the lights are, install kits without moving the car, then adjust the HIDs to shine in the same place.

That becomes hard when placing hids in halogen housings unless you incorporate some kind of shield to cut off the light shining up.

i placed my low and high beam ballasts on the radiator support, right next to the headlight. my fogs were mounted on some vertical metal that you can see from under the car, or with the wheel turned. had no issues with those mounting locations. all kits were 35w.
to help with not blinding other drivers, i aimed my low beams a little lower than they were with halogen bulbs.

Members online

No members online now.
Back