Rear brakes

Jeffintampa

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all putting new rotors on my 96 LSC and got the front done no biggie, but stated the rear and the back caliper wont push in. I have the lid off the master and a big ass C clamp lots of pressure wont go back. whats up?

The piston in the rear caliper needs to be rotated as pressure is applied to let the piston move. The tool can be rented from an auto parts store.
Disc-Brake-Caliper-Tool-Set-HX-AUT002-.jpg

Disc-Brake-Caliper-Tool-Set-HX-AUT002-.jpg

You need a special tool to turn the piston while applying pressure to compress it. Some have claimed to use a big pair of channel locks... if you go this route, be careful that you don't mar/damage the piston.

what direction

You need a special tool to turn the piston while applying pressure to compress it. Some have claimed to use a big pair of channel locks... if you go this route, be careful that you don't mar/damage the piston.

What direction is in clockwise or counter?

turn it the opposite way that the parking brake cable goes in.

The correct tool makes things so much easier...but having said that applying pressure with a c clamp while turning with needle nose pliers has been done before by lots of people. The dice shaped tool with all sorts of different pin configs that is used with a 3/8 drive ratchet isn't very helpful.

figures

The piston in the rear caliper needs to be rotated as pressure is applied to let the piston move. The tool can be rented from an auto parts store.
View attachment 828470352

Auto Zone let me use one pay 64.00 bring it back and get your money back. But..... figures I got it pushed or turned back, went to put it back intack and the caliper holder bracket, that has the two spring loaded holders well one is locked up and wont go in or out, I got is soaking in Masterblaster hopefully over night it will free up.

Thanks for all your help guys

Members online

Back