vehicle suspension level

Mulder

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi again,

My conti is now mended, all little "issues" are no longer present :D

I have a question though...What is the difference between the "plush", and "normal" ride control options?

And - is it possible for me to adjust the height level, I mean the altitude of my car suspension?

Thank you very much in advance for ur answer!

No, you can't manually change the height of the car. They make a module for the Mark VIII but I don't think anybody has made one for the Continental.

Plush will make your car ride like a Town Car or very Lincoln like. Normal is going to be stiffer than plush. If you turn your steering effort to Normal or high, you can also pick "Firm" for your ride control. I believe it just stiffens up the shocks to change ride control.

Ur answer was very helpful, I shall switch to "plush" then,

Thank You very much!:)

There is a calibration procedure in the service manual that can be done if you have a NGS tester which of course most of us don't. If you read through the procedure you will see that if the height is not achieved by running the calibration program than adjustments have to be made to the ride sensor ball stud. I think that if you change the position of the ball stud you could change the rear ride height of your car. How this would affect the ride or handling characteristics of the vehicle is anyone's guess. There is probably some deviation from optimal height built in to the design since the ride height is always varying.

Ride Height Adjustments

CAUTION:
This procedure is to adjust the ride height only. It should not be carried out unless a specific ride height deviation from nominal exists. Do not run this test in preparation for alignment. The accurate trim test under diagnostic test modes on the New Generation Star (NGS) tester should be used to attain nominal ride height prior to alignment.

Note:
This procedure should be carried out after rear air suspension height sensor, vehicle dynamic module, or a rear air suspension height sensor attachment bracket is repaired or replaced. Also, this procedure should be used in the instance of customer complaint for ride height leans and other complaints.

1. Note:
Vehicle should be on a level surface.

Turn the ignition switch to RUN position.

2. Note:
Make sure the air suspension switch is ON.

Configure NGS for correct model year vehicle, Vehicle Dynamic Module.

3. Select Function Test selection on NGS menu.

4. Note:
The NGS will command the vehicle to go to its nominal ride height. While this is happening, the NGS will display "RUNNING ACCURATE TRIM TEST".

Prepare the vehicle as specified on the NGS screen.

µ 5. Note:
The nominal wheel lip opening will be displayed until a different number is entered by the operator. No adjustment will occur if nominal values are entered.

Measure each rear wheel lip opening to the bottom of the rim.

6. Enter each value measured into the NGS and allow it to complete calibration.

µ 7. Remeasure each rear wheel lip opening for nominal height.

8. Note:
If the proper wheel lip openings are not attainable by running this procedure, the air suspension height sensor ball studs will require adjustment to attain the desired wheel lip opening.

Rerun Ride Height Adjustments procedure if the ball stud adjustment was made.

ride height.jpg

ride height.jpg

The Ford service techs only walk around the car and open and close all the doors to reset the ride height. They dont measure anything.

Thanks for ur answers,
and sorry - I was traveling for a while...:)

Members online

Back