4.6 Plug Blow Out

jerryg2112

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew if the Intech motor my 99 is susceptible to plug blow out? I haven't touched the plugs since I got it due to the plug blow out issue. I didn't want to disturb the plugs since they may only have 4 threads holding them in.

I haven't heard any horror stories about our 4v engine. I did mine months ago (there's a thread about the plugs and coils) and I was careful on the removal and the installation. I did not use anti-seize compound on the replacement plugs. To me, the added lubrication would make it too easy to over-tighten the new plugs and strip the threads. Slow and steady on the removal - no power tools or banging on the wrench to get the plug started; just slow steady pressure until it works free.

All the cars I've had in the past 20 years have had aluminum heads so I just tightened to where I thought they should be.

I agree on the lubricant. All torque values are dry. I am also very careful with aluminum heads.

Replaced all coils and plugs in my 01 last summer and tightened until it was comfortable. Like MooJohn, I also didn't use any anti-seize nor power tools/sudden force to remove the old ones. 15k miles later I haven't had any problems.

Members online

No members online now.
Back