Best Paint For Dash?

jbelcourt

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I've done some research and had a few different brands come up as options.

What is the best paint to use for painting our dashes? Also, for anyone who might know or might have done this before, I need black to match a 93 stock black so which would be the best match (brand wise).

I'd like to tackle this project next weekend. I went and picked up a black interior at U Pull and Pay today (pretty much everything except the seats and dash) so that will be getting swapped in once I can figure out how to tackle the dash paint project.

Also, any tips on how to approach this? Prep? What you used to clean before paint? etc.

Thanks guy.

OK so after further research I'm narrowed it down to either SEM or Duplicolor. SEM seems to be the top dog, but from what I read online Duplicolor is really good as well. At a price comparison of $13 a can vs $7.50 a can, I'll likely go with Duplicolor.

So, on that note, does anybody know if I should use flat black or gloss black? I know the 93 interior is labelled as Ebony. The best I can find for that is SEM Landau Black, which from what I read comes out a bit too shiny, or Satin Black, which they say is a little closer but still a bit shiny.

This is what I'm looking at so far for the job.

Grease and Wax Remover

Adhesive Promotor

Flat Black Vinyl Paint

Did you use any adhesive promotor or anything? What color black did you use? (or does Rustoleum only sell one shade of black?)

Thanks Dan! As you can guess, I bought that entire interior you pointed me to LOL

On my Mustangs, I used SEM products. When I dyed the Saddle wheel airbag to Black in my 97 MKVIII (due to the wreck), I used Dupli-Color for both the adhesion promoter and the dye itself (they make a Gloss Black and a Flat Black dye, I chose the Flat). I cleaned the wheel with Westleys Bleache-White and then used 3 coats of the adhesion promoter. On the last coat, I left it slightly tacky and hit it with the first mist coat of dye. Waited 5 minutes and hit it with the second coat (light coats may I mind you). Third coat of dye went on slightly wet and I let it completely dry (going so far as to leave it in a non-used car (don't ask) for 3 days to bake the finish. Once dry, I used skin oils on a cloth to rub the Flat to a semi-gloss finish.

Yeah, I couldn't find rustoleum today so I grabbed Dupli-Color promoter and flat black vinyl to test on my spare airbag. I like th way it came out so I pulled and painted the dash cover thing and a few of the door plastic pieces (the switches). Then I did the steering wheel because the color difference was really noticeable.

I'll post some pictures in a few.

Did you have to clear coat anything? I'm really worried about the steering wheel painting my hands black lol.

IMAG0440.jpg
IMAG0443.jpg
IMAG0444.jpg
IMAG0445.jpg
IMAG0447.jpg

IMAG0440.jpg

IMAG0443.jpg

IMAG0444.jpg

IMAG0445.jpg

IMAG0447.jpg

I used the dye only. And I just cleaned the dash with a bit of brake cleaner misted on a rag. It never ever once chipped the whole time I had the car.

Looks good, J.

I didn't use any clear on the dye, nor on the plastics that were painted. If cleaned and prepped properly, the dye will be soaked into the material.

No matter the manufacturer, follow their recommendations and you should get good results. Remember, prep is 98% of the finished job.

Members online

No members online now.
Back