(Probably) Bad COP's - Looking for advice on replacements

its not that comment was meant as any kind of insult, but more of a warning about the car itself and what long term tends to turn into. one of its biggest problems is its lack of aftermarket support... a lot of the common failures on this car don't have any options other than expensive overpriced dealer parts. at least cars that have a good selection of aftermarket parts usually have the option of either high performance parts or cheaper options. with our wonderful machine, nine out of ten things made for it that are not OEM are sub par knockoffs. as these cars start to show their age, the cost just to keep them in decent condition can become staggering... (the one thing British cars are know for after all is expensive maintenance and a whole lot of it! lol)

The other factor is Lincoln made fewer LSes (around 280,000 TOTAL cars) than Ford sells Mustangs in a year! Things were different when the LS had a future.....

I bought cheaper cops from Amazon that were from a US manufacturer. They seemed to be more robust than the original ones and they kind of snapped on. I use copper plugs with the tighter gap. I put new plugs in about 2-3 weeks after the cops. Before the new cops I was seeing 13-14 mpg city driving and afterwards I was seeing 18-19mpg city driving. I started really realizing the cam work I had done. The idle fuel usage is way down. I don't have the torque down low like I used to but above 3000 rpm she really goes. After I put my NGK R V Power coppers in, fuel mileage dropped quite a bit for about 2 days and now its back up there for city driving if I keep it bellow 2500 rpm. I made a run from St Petersburg to Tampa and back and saw 24mpg at 80 mph. I'm happy with that. And I blew off some dingbat in his 335i that tried to hang with me on the HF Bridge. I must admit he was right with me until he had to shift. So, my experience with the cheap cops are fine so far after more than a month. I paid $67 plus shipping and the plugs we're just under $18 and I gapped them at .040. The ones I took out were at .045-.050 after a year and a half. I will not buy expensive cops. They are too easy to change. BTW the ones I bought said they were for the S Type R so I wonder if that is why they were seeming to be more heavyweight another thing, I bought this gear wrench from the flee market to get to that really tough bolt by the firewall and that makes it really easy.

Last edited:
I was wondering, does anyone else stretch the spring in the boot before installing the coils?

Last edited:
If the threat of my cats getting ruined is really that great because of a choice to save $200/$300 now - well than thanks for the advice not to do so. Looks like I'll be using my credit card. [serious]
That kind of advice OR an OEM-Alternative is all I really wanted to hear by making this post. Simple as that.

The threat is real. I've experienced it first hand. My failing/marginal coils led directly to my clogged cats. I couldn't afford the 2k and still can't afford the 2k it would have cost to put OEM cats back on so I have magnaflow ones. But you can also read up on some of the nightmare stories surrounding those. I've been VERY lucky with my magnaflow cats and have not had any issues. YET (knocks on wood).

It's not like we're sitting here being elitists telling you hey you can't afford this car, or hey you're not good enough for it. What we are simply trying to do (based on first hand and second hand experiences) is warn you about possible outcomes. You want to skimp on some costs (we all do) this is not one area to do it on.

Wait ... I can sell my old coils on Ebay if I shine them up a bit?

Fn brilliant, consider it DONE !!!

heres you add

7 good lincoln LS coils for X amount of dollars and I'll even throw in 1 bad one. lol

Brake cleaner should clean them up no? lol

I got so many coils I should live inside of a mattress.

I don't buy off EBay. I did one time 13 years ago. I bought a 70-150 Sigma zoom lens for $50 that was perfect. That was it. I do Amazon now because everything is guaranteed. I bought the cheaper american made heavy duty coils because I don't mind having to go in there once a year since I have to do it anyway to change copper plugs. The cops I got are much heavier than the originals and will have much less stress put on them by the copper. Besides that, no one can argue with 18-19mpg city. Rest assured, if my cheap coils start failing, this forum will be the first to know about it.

BTW they are Evan Fischer's[emoji41]

I will say, i do still use ebay once in a great while, but my amazon use has taken quite a huge chunk of it...

UPDATE: Only been a couple weeks now since I installed the Dragon Fires Coils - So far so good.

NOTE: They did have this strange white grease of some sort on the tip of the rubber. I didn't wipe it off because it seemed intentional. Something to help bridge any gap in the electrical signal perhaps?

Will update again in a few months or if I run into any issues with a misfire.

NOTE: They did have this strange white grease of some sort on the tip of the rubber. I didn't wipe it off because it seemed intentional. Something to help bridge any gap in the electrical signal perhaps?

They put grease or dielectric at the ends to keep "Moisture" out.

what year LS do you have? Is it the 3.9? I have a 05 LS that was made in june of 05. Ford dealer here tells me my coils are not under warranty. I understood the warranty was for 10 years. I appreciate any info you can share.

what year LS do you have? Is it the 3.9? I have a 05 LS that was made in june of 05. Ford dealer here tells me my coils are not under warranty. I understood the warranty was for 10 years. I appreciate any info you can share.

The extended coil warranty is for 10 years or 100K miles, which ever comes first. It covers 2003, 2004, and 2005, V8s (3.9) only. If your 05 was first sold before 10/9/2004, then you are past the time limit. If not, then there are also some catches, such as they have to find at least one bad coil, or you will have to pay for the diagnostic.

Print the letter below and take it with you if you qualify.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...84HYCA&usg=AFQjCNFrwk6zh9zbT4hRUknD6icl2JyFsA

Are the coils for a v8 the same as v6 so I can use any v8 coil on v6 lse?

I'm going to go oem I also believe I'm going to need to do the converters to and valve cover gasket...

The car sputters badly and I've had a bad cat CEL. Also the passanger exhaust seems clogged. What should I do in this situation?

Are the coils for a v8 the same as v6 so I can use any v8 coil on v6 lse?

Try searching a little bit (use Google site search). No, they (V8 or V6 COPs) are not at all the same. LS or LSe does not matter on any parts at all except for a few cosmetic parts.

The one good thing is it forces those (who really do care) to read and learn more about the LS then they wanted to know in the first place. So by searching for question A, you find the answers to B,C and D also..

Very true. Searching broad terms has led me to some interesting threads unrelated to what I needed to find.

Members online

No members online now.
Back