Can't win today - TransmissionS

BigPip

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I was heading to my local pull-n-save this morning when the car kind of shuddered into 3rd and back out. Since I live about 2 blocks from the interstate I didn't think much of it until I got on the highway and there was no third gear. 60 in 2nd gear is no fun, especially for 2 miles. I limped it home and did all the checks, shifter in 2nd gear it does have engine brake, OD off it stays in 2nd, OD on it just revs up and it doesn't matter how long you coast, it doesn't catch 3rd or OD.
Researched it and confirmed my worst thoughts. I should have known it would happen soon since the tranny had a really harsh shift into 3rd.

So, back to the bone yard in my van and low and behold I found a perfect candidate, a 2003 crown vic P.I. Motor was already pulled so I literally just had to drop it. I figured for the amount of work I was just saved i could spend a little extra to have my Drive Shaft shortened.

Pull it out, get it home and decided to research the code on the side and it just gets better...
F3UP-7A040-AA
20140914_130853.jpg

Doesn't the AA mean it is not a long shaft? It definitly came out of a Police Interceptor, I confirmed the VIN.

20140914_130853.jpg

With a 2003, biggest thing to check is if the output shaft has the "teeth" to run the vss. Should be able to check that by pulling the cover where the VSS would be and seeing the teeth or smooth shaft. If the VIN had P71 in it, then it likely is the long shaft. I don't know the different extension housings (long or short) by part number.

From what I found F3UP is out of a 1993 Ford Econoline. Will the internals at least me stronger.

*EDIT*
Some promising news, I cleaned the tag and found this:
PKE-BX 3W7P-7000-CA

Like mentioned "F" means 1990's so 1993 the tail shaft housing. Hope trans is not that age.

PKE-BX 3W7P-7000-CA is a 2003 CVPI transmission.

F3UP-7A040-AA is the extension housing only I think.

Your biggest concern before you do anything else, especially since you are installing it into a gen 1 is if it has any teeth for the speedo gear. I think 2000+ had 1 extra tooth, so you will need a different speedo gear. I had 3:73s when I installed my 2001 trans and there is no gear that will correct for 3:55s or higher. Had to install a speedometer calibrator. Figure that stuff out before you install it.

If that is a PI transmission it will definitely have the extended tailshaft which will not work for your application.

Only NON-PI in these cars out of a crown vic. There are MANY MANY threads that state this all over the various forums.

You will also have to swap the linkage over when you do find the correct transmission. (Unless your donor is from a Mark)

Yeah, I hope that he already verified that is has ANY teeth, as mentioned 03 was a transition year, it wasn't used any longer, but early run transmissions still had the output shaft with the teeth.

In 1999 the Panthers started getting 7 or 8 teeth on the output shaft, depending on rear gear. Previously they all had 8. Swapping to a correct gear is easy, swapping the output shaft requires tearing down the transmission.

Dude, the 93 Mark at LKQ has the tranny in it and the car has 53k miles on it...

Another member was going to pull it but still hasn't. I was there again Saturday, pulled the AC line. Someone picked at it a little. Couple small things missing and someone took all four tires.

Thanks JOE, there was also a 93 in Daytona this weekend but they dont have it posted right. I was an putting in another 93 trans n the car. I have researched it for a while and they are mixed reviews. Some like the longer shaft with shorter drive shaft. I have read that people have put in up to a 2004 in their car. Obviously this is not a direct bolt in and will require some work with the electrical parts and possibly Speedo gear. There is a gear in there but I havent counted the teeth yet. I am going to have it examined before I put it in the car so if needed I wil address that when I get there.

Oh they have a 93 in Daytona too? Has it been picked clean already? I was going to take a trip up there, my buddy needs the weather stripping around the doors for his 06 Corrola and they just got one. Didn't know they had any Marks there. Non listed online.

Oh they have a 93 in Daytona too? Has it been picked clean already? I was going to take a trip up there, my buddy needs the weather stripping around the doors for his 06 Corrola and they just got one. Didn't know they had any Marks there. Non listed online.

They do not have it listed, I found it by chance. they have it marked as a 2000 Continental. looks like they just placed it in there, all driveline still there, the only thing I seen picked were the seat motors and a coil pack. It is black with grey interior. Still a lot of picking left on it. Drive shaft is bent to hell- I am sure that is damage from the wrecking yard, I have seen to many shafts bent there for it to be a coincidence.

I found this site that has a lot of great info and I have answered nearly all my concerns, I really only have one question I do not have a definite answer on yet.
site:
http://208.127.237.108/mirrorp71int...grams/electrical/external/bulkhead/index.html

The problems I foresee are:
Electic Connector - Re Pin = solved
Long tail shart - shorten drive shaft = solved
MLPS different - use MLPS from 93 = solved
VSS gear - reuse out of 93 tranny if different which from my research I believe it will be
Here is the bullet from the site that has me confused:
1992-1994 crown vics use a low impedance torque converter clutch (TCC) solenoid. 1995+ crown vics use a higher impedance solenoid. Use of a high impedance solenoid with a 92-94 powertrain module will result in no tcc apply. Use of a 92-94 low impedance solenoid in a 95+ vehicle will result in powertrain module and/or wiring harness damage. Watch out if installing a 1995 transmission from a non-panther platform ford vehicle as some of these were still "low impedance" solenoids. Additionally note that a low impedance "hardwire" circuit board type tcc solenoid is not avaliable from ford or from the aftermarket. However, a 1992-1994 solenoid can be modified to physically fit inside a transmission with a hardwire case connector system by removing some of the plastic around the connector with a tool such as a hacksaw blade, sawzall blade, dremel rotory tool with cutoff wheel, etc. The dimensions of the oil passage hole cut into the valve body has NOT changed between the model years. Click here to view additional information about this modification

So does that mean if I want to reuse my factory torque converter I have to switch out the TCC solenoid or does it mean that the TCC solenoid has to stay in that transmission and cannot be switched out with the 93 TCC solenoid? I believe I have to install the 93 TCC but hope someone can chime in...

I guess I have more research to do. After I drop my trans I will be taking the '03 trans to the transmission shop to have it checked out. He figures about $100 to check everything out and make sure it isn't about to let go. I figure cheap insurance and while I have it there, if needed, I will have them swap out the vss gear. Once it comes home I will do the J-Mod and stick it in the car and roast some tires for the inconvenience.:wrench

RE: 2003 Crown Vic 'P71' Police Interceptor Transmission into 1993 Mark VIII

Sounds to me like you will need to use an old style TCC solenoid and cut the plastic on it. (Although I am not 100% for sure on if the repin of the connector solves this, so may not be necessary.)

Also, you WILL need a new VSS gear as your 93 will have a 7 spline output shaft while the 2003 will have an 8 spline.

This chart will help you out: http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/charts/129.pdf (scroll down half way)

If your 93 currently has 3.08 ratio ring & pinion, it will likely have an 18 tooth gray speedometer gear at the moment.
If this is the case, you will be swapping for the 20 tooth orange speedometer gear.

ALSO: Don't forget you will need to swap the shift linkage stuff from your old transmission to the new. (need to remove transmission pan, no need to remove valve body)

I am lost, what is so difficult with this project? unbolting the drive shaft and having it shortened? No, that can't be it- the DS will already be out... Switching out the TCC solenoids? No, that can't be it either- one bolt under the pan cover which will be easily accessible during the j mod (which is TONS easier on a newer model trans) ... maybe its the vss gear. I see a gear in the hole, I just don't know which one/how many teeth. I admit, I will address that when I get to it, even if it means have a trans shop switching them out on their bench.
Please, don't take my tone as if I am being an @$$ because I really am not and I do appreciate your comments. I have done the research and found what I need to do for this to work, maybe we have looked at different pages and found different results but I am confident I can make this swap with no major hiccups. Yes, I agree, the easy method would be to put in a 93 trans but I don't want to pull the trans again in a few months to do it over again. I little more work can have a bigger return in the end.

I don't think I would put another 93 transmission in it, but I would have gone for an 02 non CVPI transmission (or an 03 with the regular extension housing after verifying output shaft). Second would be a 98 Mark VIII/Crown Vic/Grand Marquis transmission.

The 03 CVPI transmission requiring a driveshaft modification or new one would kill it for me, but I think everyone wanted to be sure you knew all the hurdles to overcome to make it work. More power to you. I guess the only question you had concerned the part number of the extension housing.

I have run 11's on a 1993 trans and it was fine when I took it out. If its just a driver throw in same trans and be done.

I guess it depends on how hard you are on your daily driver. Personally I could use the 98+ OWC, better friction material among many other improvements made over the years. The pre 96 transmission pan drives me batty, Without the little sump I was always sucking air and the car free wheeling then slamming back into gear, even going across cross roads with drainage and a crown, or left hand turns.

The change in 2001 to remove the stiffening plate at the 2-3 accumulator was a step back, however the available thick plates help with that, the add a stiffener kit from Sonnax isn't a very good one (but they have many other helpful things, lots of repair valves and better made parts for the VB).

Alan at Dirty Dog Performance recommends low mileage Grand Marquis transmissions. saying he has had the best luck with them over the years.

I suppose the only thing that would concern me most about a used CVPI tranny would be whether or not it has been shagged out during its police service life, as most of them spend their lives right on the mat, or doing some hard shifts. Of course, they are also well maintained, but just for me personally, I wouldn't consider a CVPI tranny simply because it's been balls to the wall since installation. Every tranny is different though, and 03 was a good year, and if all is well within, then more power to you, and happy travels.

Members online

No members online now.
Back