2002 Lincoln LS 3.9 V8 engine rebuild

easycous723

LVC Member
Reaction score
I started rebuilding the 3.9 V8 engine in my LS about 2 months ago and between other projects & mechanic work the engine and tranny is almost ready to be drop back in my Lincoln LS

2002 Lincoln Ls 3.9 liter engine block.jpgIMAG0612.jpgIMAG0637.jpg2002 Lincoln Ls 3.9 engine pistons.jpg 2002 Lincoln Ls 3.9 crankshaft.jpgIMAG0728.jpgIMAG0730.jpgIMAG0731.jpgIMAG0732.jpgIMAG0735.jpgIMAG0736.jpgIMAG0737.jpgIMAG0768.jpg

2002 Lincoln Ls 3.9 liter engine block.jpg

IMAG0612.jpg

IMAG0637.jpg

2002 Lincoln Ls 3.9 engine pistons.jpg

2002 Lincoln Ls 3.9 crankshaft.jpg

IMAG0728.jpg

IMAG0730.jpg

IMAG0731.jpg

IMAG0732.jpg

IMAG0735.jpg

IMAG0736.jpg

IMAG0737.jpg

IMAG0768.jpg

Looking good!! You did keep the same caps with the same rods, correct? They are a "fractured" set ......

Nice. Haven't seen too many of those being rebuilt.

Yeah Kudos to easycous for having the knowledge and time to do something like this. looks great!

yes, will be interested in how this turns out. I had though that so many of the bottom end parts were not available. I especially like the "vintage" Ford blue engine paint. Reminds me of my old Cleveland 351 rebuild on an old car I had. When did Ford stop painting 'Ford blue" on their engines? I think it was the last 80's.

Yeah I think was in the early 80's when ford stop painting their engines blue, we had a couple cans of blue engine paint that was left over from a 72 ford torino project that we had finish last year and then paint job on the Lincoln LS is a type blue that ford uses so the engine painted blue with the car looks ok.

So did you re-use the bottom end bearings or did you get jag bearings to fit? That seems to be the million dollar question with these things that never seems to get answered 100%. :)

Honestly if I end up rebuilding the bottom end of my LS I'll probably use a 4.2L block. But then again if I do engine work it'll be because it blew up or I'm slapping on that supercharger from an S-Type. Probably easier to just buy the whole S-Type R engine and convert that to fit.

Oops
Maybe you have been asleep for the last 40 years or you might be too young to know the history of Ford's engine colors. so to give you an update Ford's main engine paint was blue and not saying that didn't use black engine paint but I remember the 289 engines, 302 engines all the 351w, 351 cleveland, 427, 428 cobra jets and also the 360 engines were painted blue not black. :dancefool

But then again if I do engine work it'll be because it blew up

pretty much. except for I'm pretty sure, if my motor has comes out, an AJ is not going back in!

and of the two most likely candidates, one will definitely either be blue or have blue valve covers!

Nice work, attention to detail. At this rate finished product should look sweet

Hello all, I'm Pony and I'm Old school, older person , just to clear the paint thing, Ford used a Black and Gold combo on many pre 65's etc Fords , from 65 ( Mustang )etc. they used a Bright blue on the 289. Then in 68 "302" etc. they used a darker blue color like the one that (easycous723) is useing (looks great ) they stopped painting them because of EPA and the fumes the paint gave off . LOL Well anyways thats what I think. later all Pony Out

Well the way I look at it [ lil pony ] using engine paint isn't going to help the engine run slower or faster but it helps sells the engine and the car a lot faster or would you rather have 2 inches of old oil and grease on the engine to seal the deal and when it comes to fumes from engine paint 'Hell' it can't be no worse than the fumes from a pack of cigarettes. LOL:rolleyes:

Did you prep the block and heads, pre bore work, with a soda blaster?

soda.jpg

soda.jpg

My '64 427 Custom (Galaxie) was my first new car. The engine was black with chrome rockers and natural aluminum intake manifold and air cleaner on the dual quads.

My '65 1/2 Mustang 'K' 271 289 was likewise painted black. Within a couple of weeks it, too, had an aluminum intake manifold and aluminum rocker covers. Ford performance engines came black from the factory. Anything else is blasphemous. ;)

KS

Why is it that everytime I say anything on this stupid forum people have to nit pick **** like this ?

Well the way I look at it [ lil pony ] using engine paint isn't going to help the engine run slower or faster but it helps sells the engine and the car a lot faster or would you rather have 2 inches of old oil and grease on the engine to seal the deal and when it comes to fumes from engine paint 'Hell' it can't be no worse than the fumes from a pack of cigarettes. LOL

I never said that all Pre 65 nor all 65 on Ahol. and i didn't say that painting an engine is bad but the reason"Ford" anyway stopped Painting them Was because of the EPA sure an engine looks better Painted I never said it wasn't. So get a life lil Boy

Why is it that everytime I say anything on this stupid forum people have to nit pick **** like this ?

Well the way I look at it [ lil pony ] using engine paint isn't going to help the engine run slower or faster but it helps sells the engine and the car a lot faster or would you rather have 2 inches of old oil and grease on the engine to seal the deal and when it comes to fumes from engine paint 'Hell' it can't be no worse than the fumes from a pack of cigarettes. LOL

I never said that all Pre 65 nor all 65 on Ahol. and i didn't say that painting an engine is bad but the reason"Ford" anyway stopped Painting them Was because of the EPA sure an engine looks better Painted I never said it wasn't. So get a life lil Boy

Using a high quality engine paint won't off-gas. It also makes cast-iron blocks look better. I prefer the natural look of aluminum, but thankfully, we all have different tastes!!

Back when I was trying to decide what color to paint my engine, came across an article where it was found that black paint rejects heat better than other colors, which was why the automakers were using black in the 2000s. I painted my engine black, and found that I was unable to locate a bad oil leak because I couldn't locate where the oil was coming out. I could only find where it was coming off the bottom. Incidentally, this engine was built very poorly by Hunt Engine in Fort Smith AR, and I even took it to the dealer (after a month of not getting anywhere with it) whose mechanic advised that the rebuilder had put incorrect bolts in all over, amongst other things. When I pulled it and took it back to the engine builder to figure out what he screwed it, when it came back I said screw it, not going through that again and painted it Chevy orange (Chevy engine). I'm just glad that POS engine is out of my truck, and the new crate engine is sitting in its place. All I need to do is put the intake and accessories on it, and I'm on the road again!

In other words, I do not recommend black (or any other dark color for that matter) for an engine regardless of reason, because it's too hard to chase down leaks later on. Paint it red, paint it blue, paint it purple with pink polka dots, just don't paint it a dark color.

Members online

No members online now.
Back