lincoln ls dashboard lights don't work

Joshua saunders

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I just bought my baby a couple days ago and it's in pretty good condition.there are a couple problems with it the major one is the dashboard lights don't work but just the speedometer and odometer meter lights all the other ones do and I need help figuring out if it's a fuse or bulb

so ONLY the speedometer and odometer... as in every other gauge lights up fine.

my bet is a bulb or two.

I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying. Could you please do this? List each thing, and by that say "light" or "no light" to indicate what is lighting up and what is not. Otherwise, there are all kinds of ways to look at what you said.

IMG_20131007_231534.jpg

There r 7 bulbs for the cluster, 3 for the speedo 2 for tach 1 each for fuel and temp all the other lil bulbs are for the lil icons for warning lights

IMG_20131007_231534.jpg

I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying. Could you please do this? List each thing, and by that say "light" or "no light" to indicate what is lighting up and what is not. Otherwise, there are all kinds of ways to look at what you said.

OK so I went back and did a more in depth look my shifter does not have lights my whole dashboard is dark other than the check engine light (which is on because of the clock spring in the steering wheel?) The key ring also does not light up and there's a warning that pops up saying there's a charging problem so the battery light is on too I went today and bought a new fuse for slot 33 which is the back lighting which controls all those I think and it did nothing....so now I'm thinking it's a wiring problem please help

OK so I went back and did a more in depth look my shifter does not have lights my whole dashboard is dark other than the check engine light (which is on because of the clock spring in the steering wheel?) The key ring also does not light up and there's a warning that pops up saying there's a charging problem so the battery light is on too I went today and bought a new fuse for slot 33 which is the back lighting which controls all those I think and it did nothing....so now I'm thinking it's a wiring problem please help

I think you have found your problem. The LS does strange things when there is a charging/battery issue.

did you check the dimmer dial switch over by the headlight switch? make sure it is not turned all the way down...

my whole dashboard is dark other than the check engine light (which is on because of the clock spring in the steering wheel?)

wait, and since when does a CEL equal a bad clock spring?

Could you take a picture?
Is the odometer display working?
Is this a V8 (message center) or a V6 (no message center)? If V8, is the message center working?
Your check engine light is not on because of a clockspring problem. Why do you say that it is?
Any other warning lights on? Strange things happen when you have alternator and/or battery problems. (If you have one of the two, eventually, you will have both.)
The key ring on the LS does not light up (ever). Why should it? The cabin lights stay on long enough for you to get the key in. It should also be noted that the cluster backlighting only comes on when the headlights are on, and you will only be able to notice it at night.
What year is this LS?
Fuse 33 in the cabin fuse box (there are two others) is for the switch backlighting, such as the window and lock switches on the doors, the message center buttons, and so on.

The cluster reads the headlight switch, the backlight dimmer wheel, and the light level sensor. The cluster controls its own backlighting using those inputs. The cluster also sends commands to the FEM, REM, radio, and so on the control backlighting on the window and lock switches, other switches, the radio, and so on. The FEM drives most of the backlighting other than the cluster, radio, ...

Guys... The backlight of my headlight switch is not illuminating. Any ideas on what yhe problem is? I popped off the switch assembly trim that holds the headlight switch, roller cluster dimmer, and adjustable pedal switch but I didn't see any bulbs. Perhaps the backlight is integrated in the switch assembly?

I think that they are normal bulbs in small bulb holders, similar to some on the back of the instrument cluster. They should be accessible from the back of the switch assembly.
There was/is a member on here that did LED conversions, adrst2.3. I think he had a thread that had pictures of the switch disassembled showing the bulb. Unfortunately, it looks like the pictures are gone from his threads now.

Last edited:
Okay. Here's a picture from e-bay of the back of the headlight switch. You can clearly see the bulb holder just above the white connector. It's the round thing. Just twist it counter-clockwise and remove it.

headlight_sw.jpg

Okay. Here's a picture from e-bay of the back of the headlight switch. You can clearly see the bulb holder just above the white connector. It's the round thing. Just twist it counter-clockwise and remove it.

View attachment 828486053
Thank you Joegr... that detail and picture of the headlight switch was of great help. I'll pull the switch and the bulb next to it. Hopefully the bulb is pretty common part.

It's usually behind the counter at the auto stores, not quite common enough to be out on the shelf.

Bulb is fairly common. I have half a dozen or so I pulled from a PT Cruiser at a bonyard years ago, (for son's vehicle),,, assuming its the same "twist lock" version.

Josh,

Just to give you an idea of how "quirky" the LS can be when the battery goes bad... I'll give you an example.

I purchased my 04 LS back in early 2011. Everything was good for a few months. Then one day, (over the summer), ... I'm sitting at home in the LR,,, and I hear a noise in the garage. I go out, (more than once), and eventually campout for about an hour... only to hear the horn honk randomly on my LS. I think... WTF,,, and give up. Well... a couple days later,,, I go to leave and it won't start. Turns out the original battery finally went bad... a the symptom of the horn honking on it's own,,, was an indication of that.

Unless someone else knows better... I don't think random horn honking was programmed into the LS,,, to warn the owner that their battery is about to die.

Josh,

Just to give you an idea of how "quirky" the LS can be when the battery goes bad... I'll give you an example.

I purchased my 04 LS back in early 2011. Everything was good for a few months. Then one day, (over the summer), ... I'm sitting at home in the LR,,, and I hear a noise in the garage. I go out, (more than once), and eventually campout for about an hour... only to hear the horn honk randomly on my LS. I think... WTF,,, and give up. Well... a couple days later,,, I go to leave and it won't start. Turns out the original battery finally went bad... a the symptom of the horn honking on it's own,,, was an indication of that.

Unless someone else knows better... I don't think random horn honking was programmed into the LS,,, to warn the owner that their battery is about to die.
Josh hasn't been on this board since 9/2014...

Didn't notice that. Thanks Joe. Talk about resurrecting a dead thread!!! Either way... no harm was cause to an individual... or their LS,,, by the information given. :confused:

Members online

No members online now.
Back