Transmission Removal

Spartan

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Longtime lurker of these forums ever since I picked up my LS in January and I'm attempting the 5r55 repairs. I've never removed a transmission before and right now I'm stuck. I've followed the service manual but I can't get the transmission to drop. I've removed 16 engine-transmission bolts and 4 torque converter nuts however I can't get any seperation at the bell housing. What am I missing?

Yes, the crossmember and driveshaft have been removed. How much force is needed to seperate the trans? Maybe I was just being too gentle.

There are two guide pins that seize pretty tight onto the engine. I ended up using an old, dull chisel and a nail punch to get it loose. Gentle is not an option, and it gets a little scary once it starts coming off. Make sure you have your transmission jack well seated so that when it does break free it does not squish you.

What Josh said. I have had motor and trans where you thought they where welded together. With all bolts out they are stuck together. Sometimes I have to bang in a screwdriver to then wedge them apart.

I've dropped a few transmissions on a lot of different vehicles, RWD, FWD 2WD, 4x4,... Sometimes they pull right apart, sometimes you spend an hour swearing you forgot a bolt, but its just seized, use a prybar or a big screwdriver

Oh and sometimes you DO forget a bolt, even though you swear you have them all

FWIW there are 16 engine to transmission screws and 4 torque converter nuts and my issue was seized guide pins.

What is the best way to access all of the bolts? Long extensions up the trans tunnel from the rear of the trans?

A 4 foot wobble extension or a 4 ft extension and a swivel socket at the end, drop the rear trans mount, and go over top of the trans to get the 4 top mounting bolts.

Shouldn't take more than an hour to get the trans out. Figure 2-3 hours for removal if you've never done it before.

Members online

Back