Any suggestions for new coils?

DaveQc

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 2004 lincoln ls with the v6 engine and I am currently looking for new set of ignition coils. I've been to my ford deàership and they told me each coils cost 110$ ( i don't remember the exact price but its around 110$). Since I don't want to empty my wallet for a new set of coils i've search and ebay and found this : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/6-High-Perfo...n|Model:LS&hash=item2ed489c634&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1 . I wonder if one of you guys could tell me if this would be a good choice or if any of y'all have websites suggestions where I could buy A GOOD set of new coils not too costy but that I won't have any problems with. I've seen other ones on ebay that cost 60$ for the set but the quality seems to be cheap... Thanks in advance for the suggestions and the review of the link I've put up for coils !

Lol Litterally just had a thread going on this topic for the past week... its still on the FRONT page... 4 posts below yours

Here is a direct link for you though:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...-Bad-COP-s-Looking-for-advice-on-replacements

Despite all the really solid advice and warnings, I have opted to try the dragon fire coils since a few members have had luck with them it seems (no horror stories anyways)
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/search.php?searchid=458158

Even if they only last 60k that's a solid 3/4 years to me and puts my car at 240k - I went from ~100miles a day to ~ a 15mile daily commute so they also won't be subjective to daily freeway speeds/temperatures.
Should they go out prematurely, and the motor/body happens to still be going strong. Perhaps then I will consider OEM. With any luck, they should last the rest of this cars life though.

Obviously I can't report on them until I install them this weekend, even then the car will only get ~150 miles on it over the weekend - but I can report back if any have a DOA status

If you read through my thread, OEM is what many members here will suggest/stand by since its the SAFEST BET. Its just also $200-$300 more expensive.

Weigh the positives and negatives and what ever your situation is.

Also, you will notice that many posts say that replacing the cats (the part your putting at risk by buying non-OEM parts) is a $1,500 - $2,000 job - However, I found the magnaflow cat for under $400 and as long as you don't go to a dealership.... I doubt labor will be more than $1,000 even with some custom welds to make the magnaflow's fit properly (from the quick reading I did on the topic it seems it needs some).
With 4-6 hours labor @$50/hr from my buddies shop, it would be closer to a $7XX job top including parts.

I could not find OEM cats for sale or how much they sell for(other users have noted they are harder and harder to find these days), but if its close to $1,000 for it... well then I understand the $1,500 - $2,000 estimates.
Also consider that dealership rates are $142 an hour, not sure if that is what these estimates are based off of - but it seems that way to me when you break down the numbers.
Like lets say someone had this done under warranty... the dealership is going to be all like "Hey look this would have cost you $2000 but luckily you bought the extended service warranty. See how worth it it is. Lucky You!"

EDIT: Just noticed you have the v6... not sure if dragon fire makes em for the v6. you may have to search around to see.

see what? a new guy that doesn't think he has to search for anything, let alone read any of the threads on the very first page?

Yeah, I've seen it, over, and over, and over....

see what? a new guy that doesn't think he has to search for anything, let alone read any of the threads on the very first page?

I haven't been on here very often lately... but I do now understand where the rage comes from in regards to people not using the search function....
Or even opening up their eyes and bothering to scan through a few pages of the most recent posts....

Also, you will notice that many posts say that replacing the cats (the part your putting at risk by buying non-OEM parts) is a $1,500 - $2,000 job - However, I found the magnaflow cat for under $400 and as long as you don't go to a dealership.... I doubt labor will be more than $1,000 even with some custom welds to make the magnaflow's fit properly (from the quick reading I did on the topic it seems it needs some).

it should also be noted that a lot of people still had a lot of problems with aftermarket cats... so while yes, there are many cheaper alternatives to the OEM cats. the OEM cats will not trigger your CEL, aftermarket cat could and probably would.

I could not find OEM cats for sale or how much they sell for(other users have noted they are harder and harder to find these days), but if its close to $1,000 for it
back when I needed a new set, they were a little over a grand for the part...

I haven't been on here very often lately... but I do now understand where the rage comes from in regards to people not using the search function....
Or even opening up their eyes and bothering to scan through a few pages of the most recent posts....

it really is probably the number one thing that drives me crazy... with this car and its no support for aftermarket, its like all we ever talk about every single day is coils, then overheating, then which wheels will fit, then coils again, then my heater or air conditioner doesn't work, back to overheating, then what aux adapter is the right on, then back to coils...

it really does get old by just repeating the same stuff back over and over...

does the search feature suck? hell yeah it does, but mostly because anything that you search for brings up the 1,100 results made from people that didn't feel like searching... so really people come on here, need help, don't feel like putting in their own time actually make it harder for us to find what w need to find, which then makes it harder for us to help them.

My mistake. Looks like it's $1,669 to $1,379 for the set.

My god.... if I ever have to do this.... I think I'll deal with a CEL

I've had the one for my clockspring on there for almost 3 years now... but hey the price dropped from almost 300 for a new clock spring to 150. So I have that going for me which is nice.
Although I probably would have saved that much in gas by being able to use the Cruise Control hahah

Honestly if I was going to pay that price... I would rather buy the whole magnaflow cat back exhaust system (goes for under $1,000).... and try to find a way to keep my LSe's dual tips - personal preference because its not a muscle car and I love the look of them vs the downturned tips on this body.

I've had the one for my clockspring on there for almost 3 years now... but hey the price dropped from almost 300 for a new clock spring to 150. So I have that going for me which is nice.
Although I probably would have saved that much in gas by being able to use the Cruise Control hahah

So your airbag also doesn't work....... I've replaced 2 clocksprings and never paid close to $300.

if youre lucky and you catch it early enough, a CEL might be the worse of your problem, however, if you have a bad enough misfire or a misfire for long enough, the cats could become completely clogged to the point where the motor wont stay running (trust me, been there, cheap set of coils less that 6 mo old caused) then your options are pretty much to replace or hollow out...

Honestly if I was going to pay that price... I would rather buy the whole magnaflow cat back exhaust system (goes for under $1,000).... and try to find a way to keep my LSe's dual tips -

remember, if your cats are bad, buying the cat back system wont fix the problem because the system only replaces everything AFTER the cats, so even with the new system installed, you would still have your bad cats.

keeping the tips shouldn't really be a problem for any good shop with a welder... you can always put whatever tips you want after the mufflers

honestly, If I was ever going to replace my cats, I probably would go with the magnaflow set and then, if I do have CEL problems, I would just get a tuner and have that turned off. right now I just have empty cats and I used a diagram that somebody posted on here to make a set of O2 sims like you can just buy for ponys. they are not perfect and I do usually still have a CEL pop up about once a month or so, sometimes the light will go off after a day or two, sometimes just need to reset it. but its a lot cheaper than dumping a grand or more into the car.

So your airbag also doesn't work......

for this reason alone, I wouldn't put that job off too long. air bags may burn your face a little, but I'm sure the injuries sustained without one would be much worse...

I know you have and I have no doubt as someone who's been here a while it's annoying as ****.

consolidate the few best threads about this. sticky it. point to said thread when this happens. and when someone has new, good experience with something in particular, add to said thread. seems logical to me.

it doesn't matter, every single thread about coils goes the exactly same way...

OP: need coils, any advice?

1st responder: only use OEM

OP: can't afford that, how about this cheap set on ebay?

1st responder: they will probably fail after not too long

2nd responder: I have those and they are great, no reason to spend five times as much on OEM...

three months later, in a separate thread...
2nd responder: hey guys, can you help me track down a slight misfire, I already replaced the coils a few months ago...

not trying to rain on your parade, hell if you want to, go ahead and throw some together, I'm sure if you PM'd rollin, he could either get it stickied or added to one of the other stickies.

it doesn't matter, every single thread about coils goes the exactly same way...

OP: need coils, any advice?

1st responder: only use OEM

OP: can't afford that, how about this cheap set on ebay?

1st responder: they will probably fail after not too long

2nd responder: I have those and they are great, no reason to spend five times as much on OEM...

three months later, in a separate thread...
2nd responder: hey guys, can you help me track down a slight misfire, I already replaced the coils a few months ago...

not trying to rain on your parade, hell if you want to, go ahead and throw some together, I'm sure if you PM'd rollin, he could either get it stickied or added to one of the other stickies.

:dj::dj::bow::I:I:I

Accel 140032-8 - Modular Super Coil Kit. Accel products always worked well for me in my cars and Harleys. I will be doing this upgrade when it is time. Anyone make a supercharger kit for this motor (3.9)? Will the Jag S-type R supercharger fit?

Accel 140032-8 - Modular Super Coil Kit. Accel products always worked well for me in my cars and Harleys. I will be doing this upgrade when it is time. Anyone make a supercharger kit for this motor (3.9)? Will the Jag S-type R supercharger fit?

You left out some important info here. You have to swap the wires around on every COP connector and find a way to mount the COPs to the valve cover. Also the COP cover will not fit when the Accels are installed. Other than those things, Accel COPs are excellent IMO.

And no....nobody makes a supercharger for the LS. The only one done was completely custom and that LS has been wrecked since and I haven't heard of it being rebuilt.

The Jag STR has a 4.2 AJ engine. Not only is the LS a different size, but it's also unique to Ford. IIRC the closest Jag variant is a 4.0. They're all in the AJ family, but they're all a bit different. Trying to fit the Jag SC to the LS is like trying to fit Mustang 3v 4.6L parts to an Explorer/Vic 2v. Both are modular Ford engines, but they have different heads, intakes, etc, and aren't all that compatible.

Members online

Back