Key Fob Replacement

Well, I took a chance on the 03-06 key and it didn't pan out. Neither did the flip key. I made assumptions about the flip key. Turns out, it only works with the rectangular Ford keys (03+ LS, 03 Taurus, '10 Explorer), not the trapezoidal (97 Taurus, -02 LS). Also, the key can be user-programmed, but not the remotes.

On the bright side, I now have 3 working OEM-style remotes and a really cool flipkey remote. Oh well. Maybe I can transfer transponders if I get regular trapezoidal Ford keys cheaply. At least the remote parts are done, which are the hard parts as 00-02 needs computer access

well you could always cut the pill out and glue it back into the flip key*

*given that the flip key can be opened up.

also about half of the VW flips keys Ive seen get opened up, have a spring shoot out to never be found again. then its more of a limp key instead of a flip key...

I purchased this one and like it a lot and it has the chip and all the components inside.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/LINCOLN-ALLi...ccessories&hash=item1e8f69991e&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

$_57.JPG

When did you get it and how often do you use it (daily driver, couple times a week, etc)? Basically I am asking how well it is holding up, because it seems that a fair portion of these flip/slide ebay keys are of low quality.

well you could always cut the pill out and glue it back into the flip key*

*given that the flip key can be opened up.

I already ordered two older style Ford keys to try it. To open the flip key, you pull the key/transponder half from the remote half, then remove a screw. The chip is just sitting there, ready to be switched. The 03+ Lincoln key has the access door instead of being a sealed unit. It was just $13 for the two generic keys, which I think is worth it for a pretty good shot at making this work since I spent $41 for the Lincoln key, flip key, and remote. Two dealer keys would have still cost more than the total so far.

Richbloom: the key I got has everything in it, but not for my generation. It should be plug and play (well, cut and program) for 03+ LSs. The other cars I listed for the different generation keys are the ones I've had experience with between the two styles, meaning they should also work for mid 2000ish F/L/Ms.

I have had the key now for about 4 months and use it every day. It has held up great so far but I don't have any knowledge beyond that. I figured at least there was a 60 day return policy so if I didn't like it or didn't feel it would hold up I could just return it lol.

The 03+ Lincoln key has the access door instead of being a sealed unit.

no it doesnt.

at my desk in front of me as I type, I have three generations of Lincoln keys. a 94 non chipped mark VIII key, A 00 chipped LS key, and a 03 chipped LS key.

the 00 LS key has the removable door/plug to access the chip/pill, the 03 key is the newer smaller sealed type. it would need to be cut open to retrieve the chip.

Agreed, I am holding two GenII keys right now. The factory Lincoln key is completely sealed, but the cheap ebay one (that would not take during programming) has a door next to the key shaft. Based on the little info I have in front of me while coupled with what I have heard, it's the cheap knockoffs that have door and not factory keys.

Sorry, by "the 03+ key" I meant "The 03+ key that I have in front of me right now from eBay". I'll just wait until I get these keys working (well, if I do) to update after this.

Today while getting PM work done and an AdvanceTrac PMI, I pick up a new key from the dealer, which they cut and programmed without a problem. When I got home I pulled out the ebay key that would not take before and the car excepted it without a problem. Given that, the key must have been ok which points to the weak battery that was suspected last time I it was attempted.

So I now I have three working keys (two real Lincoln keys and one cheap ebay key.) And with prices averaging $110-125 and ranging clear up to $200 locally for a key, cut and program, it was welcomed news to hear Titus-Will Ford in Tacoma only charges $75 ($25parts/$50labor) and it's an actual Lincoln branded key, not the Ford branded ones other Ford deals said they would provide.

So now I might start looking into the other alternatives. I have been thinking about some mentioned above, including the integrated Ford key/fob and also a KeyPort.

Wow. It was about $40 the last time I had a key made for one of my LSes.

Trust me I agree with the "wow" because I have always thought they charge to much, but give the pricing in this area I'll take the $75.

I try not to think about it but it actually took them a little less time to do it than it normally would have, if you consider that they were already set up and ready because they did the PMI first. Don't know if you can confirm this but I would bet that the very same laptop and adapter they use for the AdvanceTrac, also did the key. So really it saved them time/money. The service manager, who logged me in, even said that they will "already have the equipment out anyway" When I called I talked about the key programming but it was only the PM and PMI that were scheduled, the key was technically an add-on when I arrived.

Knowing that, I also asked if the $75 was the normal price, which he confirmed.

So I got a little bored, which resulted in a stop at Home Depot to have them make a copy of my key using a standard (non-transponder) blank and experimenting a little with an old key fob.

Blk04LS_Key_Mod_01.jpg

Actually it's both an old and new key fob, I started with my spare cheap ebay fob, but it had problems working with the key in it. So as it sits in the pic it's the cheap fob's case and the guts of an old factory fob. I have not secured the key in the case yet, nor does it have a transponder. I am going to see if any locksmiths can or will sell me just a transponder, cloned to one of my keys. If not then I will likely just get a whole cloned key and pull the transponder out. Once I have that and I know exactly how I am going to arrange the internals, I'll secure everything in and finish it, but I am in no hurry at this point. Like I said, I was just bored and decided to play a little.

What I can say is that it works fine even without the key having any form of adhesive holding it in place, but I did trim out the key and case for a fairly tight fit. I can start the car with without any noticeable flex between the key and case. Before anyone asked exactly "how" this started the car, I held my regular use key back to back (backwards with the keys head to the modified case) to make sure everything was working.

On a side note, the cheap ebay "4 button" fobs that I have are actually 5 button, but the fifth button functions the same as the panic button.

Blk04LS_Key_Mod_01.jpg

I like the DIYness, but why not just buy a newer key? If you have a Gen 2, you can use a F150 key to get the all in one package. Also, you don't clone the transponder. You program the car to accept the transponder's signal. I would buy an eBay key for a few dollars and cut it open (or just pull out the chip if it has an access door) and program it myself. That is, of course, the car let's you. You can program gen 1 keys if you have two that already work, but not remotes; it requires a dealer computer. I would assume the gen 2 retained user access. Actually, I'm pretty sure it did.

Anyway, I cut up my VW flipkey to take the larger, more fragile gen 1 transponder. Its a glass pill and I broke one in testing because I was impatient. After 3 weeks, I'm done with it. It's coming apart a little, which I don't think is the result of me cutting g a hole since its at the entirely opposite side. More importantly, however, our ignition cylinders are just mounted the wrong way. The flip key puts the blade 90 degrees from the regular key, so its just awkward grabbing the sides of the body instead of the face. Oh well. I'm just going to drill the gen 2 key a little to fit the longer gen 1 transponder. Maybe I'm just too used to the ford 2 piece arrangement to change

This was spawn purely out of boredom this past Sunday ;)

Yes GenII remotes and keys 3-8 can be user programed.

When I first bought the car I had planned on, if possible, using the integrated key from a newer Ford. It did not take ling to discover that they were an option, but as I also learned about the other options (ebay/amazon) and have not yet decided which I want to do. I bought the car with only one key and, by my own fault did not have a second until last week. So now the ability to move forward with these options, without requiring the dealers help exists.

The point of cloning was just so that I did not add another key to the memory if this did not work out. But again, it is just me playing around with a cheap key fob that is easily replaced. :Beer

I get it. Sometimes, you just want to know if it can be done. If you have 8 key "slots", I wouldn't worry about filling them up. Based on the programming procedure, I would think that each time you do it, it wipes all previous keys, or at least wipes all previous keys not put through the programming process again. But that's just a guess.

I keep my FOB on a quick detach keychain clip.
Only thing I DON'T like about this mod is that doing this would make it so that you can't leave the car running at the gas station, lock it, and run in - I also have a GenI with no door keypad entry system.

If it weren't for that I would be all over this.

Just my 2cents for those considering doing this mod.

so wait, when you run into a gas station, you leave the key in the ignition, engine running, and then you just take the FOB and lock the doors?

so wait, when you run into a gas station, you leave the key in the ignition, engine running, and then you just take the FOB and lock the doors?

I do something similar now and then, but I have the keypad on the door, so I leave the fob on the ring with the key, in the ignition.

oh man, yall are brave. if you ever did that around these parts you would come out only to find a pile of broken glass where your car was. while three dude that sat there and watched the whole thing just say "U shouldn't have did that"...

I will leave it running by the RS system, but never leaving the key in it. hell doing that once I came out and caught some punk kid taking a hard look through the window.

Speaking of Gen 1s and their lack of a keypad... Anyone try the stick on remote key pad? From your end, it functions like the key pad, but to the car, its just a remote fob. Its battery powered so there are no wires. Some Mustang guys stick them on the cowl under the wiper. Its a little too thick to stick on the door and retain a factory look, though. $70 on amazon, $80 at the dealer.

Someone on here used one. He stuck it on the license surround on the trunk, facing down.

Members online

No members online now.
Back