Fuel door solenoid

Is it clicking but not opening?

If it's not doing anything i'd check the popper wiring/plug first. If it's clicking but not opening use some wd40 or equivalent on the latch.

I removed mine in an attempt to make it close the fuel door more flush with the car, that didn't help.

There are quite a few places it can fail, electrically and mechanically. I assume you can manually open it with the pull in the trunk? The button (every one I test drove or looked at the button was gone, and shortly after I got my car the button failed and flew out), at the solenoid itself electrically or mechanically.

On my 95 the spring broke, and I added a coil spring, ( like a ball point pen but a little larger),attached with a screw and washer. That was about 5 years ago, and still works well. I've been through a lot of btns/switches that flew apart. There is enough room to re-mold the little tips that break off when the btn launches, if you have all the parts. Contact doesn't happen until the btn is almost all the way depressed. I painted a few to match the interior.

It clicks but does not open. I will give some lube a try. maybe it is catching.

Mine had the same problem when I bought it 7 years ago. I make sure I hit it with some lube once a year to keep it fresh. Don't be afraid to spray the heck out of it.

This is the spring and latch on the fuel door. I bent mine a little to let the door close more and not be sticking out 1/4 of an inch:
14802927890_37d52a754e_b.jpg

14989236392_a5bfa6966d_b.jpg

14803048247_667af07c69_b.jpg

Not relevant since you hear the click at the solenoid, but this is how I fixed my broken button. At the time I didn't have a graphite button, but the chrome one matches the the trunk pop so I like it better.
14989599855_74a2c2c098_b.jpg

I leave at least half of the older Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car ones for others to get, I always grab the color switch bodies from FN10s, and selectively grab them from Continentals. I am not destructive in removing them unless the door panel is already destroyed.

If I could mail these out for cheap and in a way they wouldn't get broken in the mail I would happily send them out. They seem to be very poor quality on the early FN10, the 95-97 Panthers that use the same switch body the button is better quality, and 98+ with the different switch body same better buttons.

I rarely if ever pay for them. Only when I had two full switches did they charge me for a connector end (75 cents), generally don't charge for things like this, depending on what else you have. I didn't start "collecting" them until mine broke, and I couldn't figure out exactly how they went back together (and I found the retaining ends on mine had broken off). Only other thing I seem to hoard are good condition Continental exterior door handle buckets and handles, in available FN10 colors or chrome handles.

Looking at all those buttons puts a tear in my eye. Here in CRAPPY CT we don't have pick a part. If we did, I'd have to get a bigger house.

Members online

No members online now.
Back