Fog Light Conversion

benet00

LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on updating the fog lights on an '02 LS to the '03-'04 foglights? I saw Quik Ls has it done, any advice. Needless to say I am new at all of this.

You can retrofit the 03 fogs to earlier years. They are not a direct bolt on but you can re-locate the bolts on the 03 fog light to make it work.

GrayGhost1 said:
You can retrofit the 03 fogs to earlier years. They are not a direct bolt on but you can re-locate the bolts on the 03 fog light to make it work.

Do the '03 fog lights fit perfectly into the housing of the '02 fog lights? I do not need to adjust the lower grille, do I??

benet00 said:
Do the '03 fog lights fit perfectly into the housing of the '02 fog lights? I do not need to adjust the lower grille, do I??

No, the housing is the same...just different mounting screw locations. Why Lincoln did that is a mystery.

Yep - you have to re-drill a couple of the mounting screws to fit the 00-02 locations - but it was a simple 1 hour job.

Quik LS said:
Yep - you have to re-drill a couple of the mounting screws to fit the 00-02 locations - but it was a simple 1 hour job.
Would you happen to have any pics of exactly where needs to be drilled and a write up on the process involved?? I was looking around and REALLY like the way the 03+ fog lights look.

Fastbird said:
Would you happen to have any pics of exactly where needs to be drilled and a write up on the process involved?? I was looking around and REALLY like the way the 03+ fog lights look.
What I did -
- I pulled out my 01 fog lamps and removed the 3 mounting screws from the back of the lamp
- I then dropped in the 03 lamps - I had to trim a couple of the mounting tabs on the bumper to make them fit flush
- I could not use any of the existing three mounting holes on the bumper, so I drilled new holes through the bumper mounting tabs into the carrier of the new fog lamps (not into the actual lamp)
- I pulled the 03 fog lamps out of the car - put the three mounting screws into their new locations I just drilled
- re-installed the 03 fog lamps into the bumper using the mounting screws in their new locations

Once you get under your car and pull the fog lamp out you'll see what I mean - it not hard to do.

Well, I bought the '03 lights from Ken today. Along with a bunch of other stuff. I will let you know how it all goes, and show you pics sometime in early '05!

Thanks for the order today. You asked about a discount. If you were an LvC Gold Member you would have gotten 10% off of your order.

As Lou stated above, it shouldn't take long to retro-fit those fogs.

Check out the top threads on the top of this list I just did it. Let me now what you think.

Slight issue with this conversion in my opinion!

1.jpg

left 1st GEN, right 2nd GEN fog lamp w/ 01 Sport bumper cover.

2.jpg

complete different mounting post & tab locations.

3.jpg

Housing alignment determines direction of beam, when flush at the back housing,
the projected beam would be aligned correctly to the roadway.

Projecting straight in alignment with the bumper, facing correctly onto the roadway
causes the front of the lamp to be seated on such an angle that creates a huge gap.

4.jpg

When forcing the lamp lens into the desired location for fastening ...

5.jpg

The direction of the lamp changes and begins to point inwards,
resulting in a cross eyed fog lamp'ed LS. (which is way too much for my OCD.)

6.jpg

Modifications to the mounting proves more challenging than expected.

Correct lamp alignment is important to me. I'm not prepared to cut and glue or screw it in,
it's not a very good fit, at least not with the parts I have here.

Are there different version of the 2nd GEN fog lamps ?

Anyone manage to complete this mod (w/ pics) ?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Anyone manage to complete this mod (w/ pics) ?

I did it years ago...... I didn't take pictures and wasn't satisfied with the fit so went back to the old lights. I don't remember anything other than I had to change the mounting screws on the 2nd Gen lights to make them fit the stock mounting location. Then again, I may also have removed the 2nd Gen light and installed it into the 1st gen housing. I also seem to remember installing the whole new assembly into the old housing. I remember I had to do a lot of jury-rigging!!

so I attempted (unsuccessfully) over the weekend.

I went as far as removing the 2nd gen Lens (and case) and moved it to the 1st gen mounting housing. I had to dremel the 1st gen a bit to accept the larger 2nd gen Pivot points. Got it housing to accept the lens/case, but shifted the center over by 1/2 inch, not allowing them to slide into bumper. Reversed everything...and back to the drawing board.

The more I mull this over the more I think I just attached the new design to the old housing.......

which I tried... but the lens doesn't sit center.... (maybe with heavy mod)

which I tried... but the lens doesn't sit center.... (maybe with heavy mod)

I put the whole new assembly in the housing of the old unit. I took the old light out of the assembly.

My concern is that when I attempt to make the 2nd gen lamp sit correctly as I want it,
the lamp beam begins to shine inwards when looking at the entire bumper straight aligned.

attachment.jpg

when doing so, the back side alignments take a turn for the worse.

attachment.jpg

if the top right tab was out of the way, would the back of the housing sit flush against the rear two tabs?

if the top right tab was out of the way, would the back of the housing sit flush against the rear two tabs?

The top right tab is a bit forgiving and allows itself to bent out of the way a bit when I force the lamp straight in at the front.
it then begins to sit slightly offset to the inside but looks perfectly aligned from the front.

why don't you guys just do the smart thing and just buy 2nd gens... :p

Did you guys try installing the 2nd gen housing in the 1st gen housing; obviously sans light. IIRC, that's what I did.....

Members online

No members online now.
Back