Rusty Brake Lines - 1st blow-out

14.6@97MPH

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally blew out a rusty brake line when I hit the brakes pretty hard today. I knew it was coming. I have a 1998 Mark VIII with 147,000 miles on it, park outside, live in the northeast, drive it daily and live by the ocean. All the brake lines haven't looked pretty for a while now. My original plan was to have Doug replace all of them and it would be safe and done for a reasonable price, boy do I miss him. :(

Anybody have any thoughts? If I just fix the line that broke, another rusty break will be close behind somewhere. I really need to replace all the brake lines. That's way above my mechanic skill level, and I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it anyway.

What would a garage charge to replace ALL the brake lines? Probably more than the car is worth?

Does anybody know if the user, 'blenderhead' is around? He used to work at a garage near me, not anymore.

This maybe the end of my Mark VIII. :(

Ken

Junking a good condition Mark over a busted brake line is ridiculous. If you're going to do that give me a call before the junkyard and I'll take it off your hands and replace the line for myself. It really isn't that bad to do.

Junking a good condition Mark over a busted brake line is ridiculous. If you're going to do that give me a call before the junkyard and I'll take it off your hands and replace the line for myself. It really isn't that bad to do.
- It needs ALL the brake lines replaced.

Its not uncommon for northern vehicles to need all their brake lines replaced. Fittings and line are really cheap. You can get setup to make your own pretty cheap. Don't fear making lines as long as the flares are good and you install them tightly there wont be a problem.

Even if you cat do the brake lines your self it's still cheaper to pay for new ones than a new car.

I'm having my local garage replace both rear brake lines. It will be a couple of hundred bucks. They are using a copper nickle alloy line (or copper coated). The mechanic said the front brake lines are not that bad, and should last a couple more years.

I had both rear brake lines from under the driver door back replaced with the copper alloy brake lines. $260 out the door. Not bad. It is amazing how rusty the rear brake lines looked above the differential compared to the almost clean looking brake lines under the driver's door?!

The front brake lines don't look perfect, but they are in much better shape than the back half of the rear lines.

Looks like the Lincoln will still be around for a while :)

Mine are crusty in the same place and plan on getting them replaced before winter. I thought it would be more expensive then that, good to know.

The next line will blow that runs along radiator support...it's coated to a certain point then right after coating it rots and will.pop...Under $300 is pretty fair...I do.brakes lines all.the time...mostly anything gm/Chevy truck chassis 1999-2007

The next line will blow that runs along radiator support...it's coated to a certain point then right after coating it rots and will.pop...

I bought the complete set from inline tube dot com for the '93 ($210 plus shipping) and replaced the rear lines myself and put the front lines in storage as the fronts looked good.

I bought the complete set from inline tube dot com for the '93 ($210 plus shipping) and replaced the rear lines myself and put the front lines in storage as the fronts looked good.

As far as I know, the brake line kits for mark VIII's are not available from inline or anybody else anymore :(. Ideally I would have ordered the same kit.

Jesus Christ, what is it with Inline Tube? A good number of us have sent in old brake lines to have reproduced, and they always end up doing them. I assume they have to scan and create some sort of computer files in order to make the new ones. Why aren't they saving them? Every time a new guy calls them up they say they don't have them in their system. It's a pain in the ass to have to send your old lines to them when they should have those on file many times over. A bunch of fukking morons.

Jesus Christ, what is it with Inline Tube? A good number of us have sent in old brake lines to have reproduced, and they always end up doing them. I assume they have to scan and create some sort of computer files in order to make the new ones. Why aren't they saving them? Every time a new guy calls them up they say they don't have them in their system. It's a pain in the ass to have to send your old lines to them when they should have those on file many times over. A bunch of fukking morons.
I completely agree. Must be to hard to right click and save.

Members online

Back