Problems from the start

Mulder

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I finaly bought Lincoln Continental 2001. The car looks ravishing...but..

There are few issues:

1. one of the head gaskets has been already blown away. I am going to replace all, there is no point in replacing one, if the engine has to be opened.

2. There are some leaks: a) engine (see above), b) transmission (not very much but still) c) coolant

3. The computer keeps telling me: "check the transmission", " Gear display data error"

4. Now it is very dificult for the car to start.

Tomorrow I will replace the battery, and see if that will help, but I seriously doubt that...

Oh man that sucks! did you buy it with a blown head gasket or it just happened?

Yes It does. I consulted an acomplished mechanic from well know garage. He told me the price of replacing all the head gaskets, just for the future.

I cut the price for it, from the price of the owner asked for the car, so I took it. Now it is obvious there is more to be done, but still -I keep postive attitude, and

try not to panic:) I hope my garage will put all things right in 3 weeks time. It is going to cost me around 2000$, so I can live with it I presume. If yes,

in two weeks time, I am going to have brand new LC 2001.

Looking on the positive side is always the way to go. Good thing you took the car to a mechanic, like I say with used cars, they're usually not as great as the seller makes then out to be, you have to figure, they want to sell it for some reason, if the car is as great as they say then it wouldn't be for sale. Hope your "new" Conti treats you well otherwise! :D

While the engine is apart you should have the mechanic replace the other hard-to-reach parts. This includes the water pump, serpentine belt tensioner and idler pullies, and maybe even the power steering pump. These parts aren't too expensive but if they fail individually it is a real pain to replace them.

For the "gear display" error, check the electrical connections on the transmission, below the engine's air intake hose. They can get contaminated with trans fluid over the years which causes them to give bad readings to the computer. Try unplugging the connectors and spraying them with electrical cleaner. It can't hurt anything!

Moo John, that is undoubtly a very good advice! I will follow it for sure!! I am grateful, thank you!:)

I am to reclaim my car in about three weeks’ time. By the end of April, my car should ride with flying colours :cool: The current price I am too pay is 2000$

Do you find it cheap or expensive?

I'm not a good judge when it comes to prices. I haven't had to get any major work done on my car except a transmission rebuild which cost $2700 (including new torque converter). The engine has been solid for the 2 years / 12k miles I have owned the car.

I have been driving my 2001LC some time now - the price for all the repairs reached 2096$. Still need to replace one oxygene sensor and find the source of "check ride control" error. I had the suspension checked, I was told the airbags were ok, and this was some wiring issuse. So two more things really and I hope that will be all for now :D

Meanwhile I'm enjoying driving my favourite car, which seems to be quite "rare bird" around here.... 20140806_094653.jpg

20140806_094653.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back