Seat motors

olddavid

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
My drivers seat motors are working, they just sound like they aren't getting traction in whatever track they operate in. I just read a write-up by billcu on Lincolns of Distinction. It was one of the best tech papers on the power seat I've ever seen. Complete with pictures and markings. Is billcu here on LVC? I want to be prepared for everything before I tackle this job. I also intend to disable the cycling and memory function and wonder if anyone has done this? My better half likes being a passenger, not a driver, so I don't need two settings, just a functional seat.

In my 97 I can disable everything but the passenger side easy entry/seat moving forward when tilted forward. The user settings can be disabled on the door and in the vehicle and user settings in the message center.

I have very problematic motors for the seats, I even swapped out the motors for forward and back with up and down, and it seems to be the contacts or the brushes, or something with the tracks. I need to try again. I am 5'11" and my wife is 4'11" so power seats take a beating.

The disparity is 9" at our house, that's why she doesn't drive this car. If I could fix this, then she would be able to comfortably fit. I ask so I can get the parts I may need. I suppose I should just go buy the ratty 96 seats for $50 at U-Pull. I will use the parts sooner or later, I am sure. I always consult, just to be safe, like you guys advising O-rings when checking air suspension. It is good insurance. I especially liked the advice to solder across the foil for more power transfer. This time I am taking pictures when making the repair.

T
The disparity is 9" at our house, that's why she doesn't drive this car. If I could fix this, then she would be able to comfortably fit. I ask so I can get the parts I may need. I suppose I should just go buy the ratty 96 seats for $50 at U-Pull. I will use the parts sooner or later, I am sure. I always consult, just to be safe, like you guys advising O-rings when checking air suspension. It is good insurance. I especially liked the advice to solder across the foil for more power transfer. This time I am taking pictures when making the repair.
"I missed the advice to solder across the foil for more power transfer."
Where or what is that about?

I always Google my problem before asking here because I get solutions from LOD and many other sites. There is a write-up out there where an owner had thermal problems with his seat motors. Evidently there is a foil piece used as a thermal breaker (I do not claim to understand this) and he soldered across it and got more seat power. If I recall, they lived in a four season area. The write up even had pictures. I am not dismantling my car until the weekend, but I will post a link when I find it again.

Members online

No members online now.
Back