No heat at idle, 3.0l no aux coolant pump

REDBED

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I am having the same symptoms of a failed aux coolant pump, no heat at idle works when running. Tried running DATC test with car runing- Off,DEF then Auto but test does not run. Any thoughts on where to look next? T.I.A.

I'd start with a check for air in the cooling system. If bleeding (by the book) gets your heat back for a day, then replace the plastic parts, they will have tiny cracks. If it won't bleed correctly, then you have an even bigger crack somewhere.

Hi Joe. I changed all hoses and degas on the V6 last year. No symptom other than the heat issue. Do you have any idea why test wont run? Ive read of others not getting it to work. Would a pressure test help.

Hi Joe. I changed all hoses and degas on the V6 last year. No symptom other than the heat issue. Do you have any idea why test wont run? Ive read of others not getting it to work. Would a pressure test help.

What year is your LS? The gen I and gen II test starts are different.

is entered by pressing the OFF and DEFROST buttons simultaneously and then pressing the AUTO button within 2 seconds. Record all DTCs displayed.

To retrieve continuous DTCs, press the OFF and DEFROST buttons simultaneously, followed by pressing the RECIRC button within 2 seconds.

Timing of the button presses and releases can be a little tricky.

I am pressing off, defrost, releasing both buttons then pressing auto. Just tried again, N.G. I will try bleeding and seee if there is any change. Thanks for your help.

I am pressing off, defrost, releasing both buttons then pressing auto. Just tried again, N.G. I will try bleeding and seee if there is any change. Thanks for your help.

Like Joe said..... The timing can be tricky......

Air in the system. But I bet every post before this say the same. Check all plastic. And replace.

Not much plastic on the gen 2 3.0L. Changed all hoses,degas and dccv within the last year. Could be time for the radiator

How do you know it's not the pump. My pump runs and move water until it's warm then the rate of flow slows down.

Hehehe <grins evilly> ... was waiting for that!

What! Heck I should have gotten the v6 it seems to me they have less problems then the v8.

Personally, form what I have seen, I'd say that maybe true for the 1st gens. I don't believe that it's true for the 2nd gens.

I think the coils under the plenum fail more often than the v8's due to heat. 3hr labor and no sense just changing 1.

I think the coils under the plenum fail more often than the v8's due to heat. 3hr labor and no sense just changing 1.

Doubt it. They are "air cooled" where the V8's are under a cover. That said, they are the same construction...... My best time is 3 hours.....

In my 10yrs of ownership Ive never had a coil not under the plenum fail in service, while clyndr 1,2,3 have been on ongoing issue even while using motorcraft. Seems impossible to get 50k miles between failures.

Members online

Back