Best COP's for the money

Machspeed

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Okay, at the risk of a pummeling here by those who may have answered the question on the Holy Grail for COP’s, I’m sticking it out there again. What is the best COP for the money? I’m more concerned about reliability than anything. I’ve been all over the web and this site and most information is dated. I understand Visteon was a great coil but they can no longer be found. I’m learning too that the Motorcraft replacement coils, while still pricey, are now made in China and they themselves are noted to have premature failures. Rock Auto lists several coils one starting as low as $16 a piece with a three year warranty. Interesting that these low cost items seem to have greater warranties than the more pricey items. Anyway, this particular coil is from Standard Motor Products which I've read to be a good name among ignition products. This is tempting but I am leery of such low cost things. Can anyone advise on a reliable but rather economically priced COP? And yes, I am replacing all eight. Thanks!!!

go oem in ebay there is a good deal for 425 you get 8 coils and sp468 spk plugs ... dont forget its 50k car , if you cant , sell your Ls ...

I have been running the coils from advance auto with a life time warrenty, for over a year now with no performance issues so far.

As for the 50K car yes then it was, now it's barly worth the rubber tires.
( and I highly enjoy my LS with all her quirks)

Plus the revised version of the motor craft coils suffer the same faith as the original version that was put into this 50K car, me personally go with advance auto that way if one fails pull it and get a free one same day.

Now some parts you can't cheap out on, but as for the coils under a cover cooking the expoxy in high temps, 34 dollars a coil with free lifetime warrenty seems a lot better then a 90 dollar coil with a one year warrenty.

You would think by now the expoxy mix would be better, guess ford just don't give a damn about reliability, and the used car buyers, only money.

Last edited:
I got a friend that ordered 8 new coils for like 60 bucks off e-bay. His truck has been going strong for 3 months now.

If you want just an R&R solution then OEM coils are the best bet.

If you want a mod solution then the Accel COP conversion from a 4.6L 2V are the way to go. It really does seem like no one has COP issues once the Accel conversion is done. It is however more of a PITA then just replacing a part.

If you want just an R&R solution then OEM coils are the best bet.

If you want a mod solution then the Accel COP conversion from a 4.6L 2V are the way to go. It really does seem like no one has COP issues once the Accel conversion is done. It is however more of a PITA then just replacing a part.

What's involved in using the accel coils? Also can they be used on a v6?

Motorcraft coils are the way to go if you have the money. However, I couldn't justify spending $400 on coils for my 8 year old LS.

Someone else on here bought a set of AIP Dragon Fire Performance coils on eBay and was very happy with them. The seller even emailed him the spec sheet. I was a bit skeptical on buying anything on eBay for my LS but I went ahead and bit the bullet. 25k miles later, my '06 LS is still running great and I haven't had a single issue with them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DRAGON-FIRE-PERFORMANCE-IGNITION-COIL-ON-PLUG-COP-/161272456777

I couldn't justify spending $400 on coils for my 8 year old LS....

Oh you have a long road ahead of you with that attitude.. :D

But, yes...you can do whatever you want... You asked what we thought was best...we say motorcraft.... GL

So which is the better coil between motorcraft and accel? I've read on here that even the motorcrafts will eventually cause problems since they were never redesigned to fix the epoxy problem.

So which is the better coil between motorcraft and accel? I've read on here that even the motorcrafts will eventually cause problems since they were never redesigned to fix the epoxy problem.

I haven't heard of too many people having issues with the Accel coils once they are installed. But getting them installed requires you to re-write the connector on the wiring harness and some other caveats along the way.

What's involved in using the accel coils? Also can they be used on a v6?

Not sure on the V6, but on the V8 it can be involved. If you just want to swap a part and be done then get Motorcraft/OEM coils. If you don't mind tinkering with your car then go with the Accel ones. The good part about Accel coils is they sell them at any auto parts store and they are cheaper then Motorcraft/OEM and usually in stock. They also seem to last longer with less issues.

Here's how I did my accel conversion to fit under the stock cover: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...version-that-fits-under-the-stock-coil-covers

Here's a thread which has pics of Hite's brackets and the COPs installed without modifying them: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?91182-Accel-coils&highlight=accel

Basically you have to reverse the two wires in the connector that goes to the COP. On a 4.6L engine the + and - are opposite the LS. Once you do that you are good to go.

Oh you have a long road ahead of you with that attitude.. :D

But, yes...you can do whatever you want... You asked what we thought was best...we say motorcraft.... GL

Point taken. eBay is the absolute last place I go to when I look for parts. I just couldn't wrap my head around the $400 it cost for ignition coils when there are cheaper/better alternatives out there.

Of all the parts I've replaced on my car, the coils were the only thing that was non-OEM/Motorcraft. I just wanted to share my experience with the eBay coils which has served me well.

Well, as I started this thread let me thank those of you who responded. Through comments here and those I have garnished off other sites I'm likely going to go with BWD brand coils. I can get these through O'reilly's for $41 each and they have a life time warranty. Supposedly, these are Borg Warner made and made here in the states. They appear to be of good quality and the box does say made in the USA...I hope that's the part and not the box that's made in the US. After studying posts on the web regarding COP's, all seem to have issues, even the OEM and the Accel. One can go to the Ford truck forums and read all about problems with OEM and Accel coils. And, both appear to be made in China as well. With this in mind, I'm thinking I need a warranty and the BWD coils cover that. Thanks again.

Hmm. Im considering changing my coils just for peace of mind. I have no issues at all right now. The only issue I have is that under WOT, the car will produce a weird smell. Like rotten eggs almost. I think its unburned fuel in the exhaust. I did have a check engine light stating insufficient flow in my driver side catalytic converter. I switched the left side coils with the right side and the code has not returned. Been driving that way for about a month now. If i do replace the coils, I think ill go the accel route. Thoughts?

I believe the general consensus around here is to spend the money and get quality coils. No reason to exacerbate the LS's coil fault buy feeding it marginal coils. Also, I haven't priced them all out before but if I recall two sets of crappy coils is still more expensive than one quality set.

I bought Visteon coils in 2013 and they have been completely fine for 40k miles now, but I don't think they make coils for the LS any longer.

if youre not going to get OEM coils or accel coils, you might as well just buy 8 eBay coils for $70 and replace them along with every oil change...

Well, as I started this thread let me thank those of you who responded. Through comments here and those I have garnished off other sites I'm likely going to go with BWD brand coils. I can get these through O'reilly's for $41 each and they have a life time warranty. Supposedly, these are Borg Warner made and made here in the states. They appear to be of good quality and the box does say made in the USA...I hope that's the part and not the box that's made in the US. After studying posts on the web regarding COP's, all seem to have issues, even the OEM and the Accel. One can go to the Ford truck forums and read all about problems with OEM and Accel coils. And, both appear to be made in China as well. With this in mind, I'm thinking I need a warranty and the BWD coils cover that. Thanks again.

I've bought the BWD coils for my LS at O'reilly and been very happy with them. They've come down in price, they were about $65 each when I started replacing them in 2005, seem to drop a couple bucks every year or two. I didn't want to spend the cash for 8 of them so I just bought them as they failed. The first one failed at 90,000 miles, I'm up to over 190,000 now and 7 of the 8 originals have been replaced and one of the replacements was replaced (free). So I may have 100K on one of the replacements? They have a lifetime warranty, no questions asked they just gave me a new one. Once I had replaced the first four, I moved the new ones to the drivers side to make replacing them quicker. Only once did I have to take that drivers side cover off (for a COP) again. Passenger side coils are a 10 minute job, it's the drivers side that stinks.

I've bought the BWD coils for my LS at O'reilly and been very happy with them. They've come down in price, they were about $65 each when I started replacing them in 2005, seem to drop a couple bucks every year or two. I didn't want to spend the cash for 8 of them so I just bought them as they failed. The first one failed at 90,000 miles, I'm up to over 190,000 now and 7 of the 8 originals have been replaced and one of the replacements was replaced (free). So at I may have 100K on one of the replacements? They have a lifetime warranty, no questions asked they just gave me a new one. Once I had 4 replaced, I moved the new ones to the drivers side to make replacing them quicker. Only once did I have to take that drivers side cover off (for a COP's) again. Passenger side coils are a 10 minute job, it's the drivers side that stinks.

Never thought of it but unless the COP's were replaced before I bought the car with 60K miles on it, I still have one original in there with 190,000 miles on it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back