does EGR effect mileage

M

Merv Casteel

I have 84 town car
think i have narrowed a prob down to a hole burnt in the intake manifold by the EGR system = ford doesn't make the manifolds anymore .
If I disconnect the vac line to the egr - the exhaust noise disappears
My Question --- is mileage etc effected if I leave it with the vac line disconnected and plugged ??????
help - I love the old girl

Merv

Make sure you cap off the line from the vacuum manifold. Burnt hold in the intake?? As far as the gas mileage it is hard to say. The central port injection tunes the air fuel mixture to run with exhaust gasses. You really will have to test. As far as when i removed my smog pump, my gas mileage got a little better, but my compression is shot also.

Merv Casteel said:
I have 84 town car
think i have narrowed a prob down to a hole burnt in the intake manifold by the EGR system = ford doesn't make the manifolds anymore .
If I disconnect the vac line to the egr - the exhaust noise disappears
My Question --- is mileage etc effected if I leave it with the vac line disconnected and plugged ??????
help - I love the old girl

Merv

Absolutely it's affected. Without the EGR valve and it's accompanying gases, the whole system is thrown out of whack.

It's probably the EGR cooler that's between the tbi unit and the egr that has the hole in it. You can go to the junkyard and grab another if you want.

Members online

No members online now.
Back