transmission problems help

So now I need to find out what size an fitting s I need to run new lines and my brake line blew out at the same time l9l. So good I didn't get on the highway need to find some stainless steel lines for that.

About the trans shifts good a sides 1-2 is mushy. At a higher load it's not a good shift ether thinking of doing the jmod hopefully it's not to ruff as I might drive in the snow from time to time. BUT at the same time trying hard not to hotrod this thing I can feel it's right there though, just needs a little help. Gears, stall, and a shift kit I feel will really wake this bad boy up and maybe a 150 shot lol. I am torn between keeping it calm and a nice cruiser and doing some fun stuff.

Save her if you can, there all getting harder to find.

You should take allot of pictures and make this into a progress thread. Would love to watch some one go through a 4R70W and learn some things.
I am considering the same? How hard is it to replace parts? Seems like the hardest part is removing the tranny in the driveway?
There are a couple of rebuilt suppliers on eBay for around $1100 plus $189 delivery charge with a 98% satisfaction rating. Anyone else tried any of these re builders? One is in Florida. Also includes a new torque converter.

Last edited:
I personally bought a trans from a 2001 grand marquis with low mileage (40k) for $130 and a rebuilt torque converter from rockauto for $120.
Paid my mechanic $350 to put it & an auxiliary trans cooler (B&M 70264, cost $64) in.

Grand total for everything was $664.

I personally bought a trans from a 2001 grand marquis with low mileage (40k) for $130 and a rebuilt torque converter from rockauto for $120.
Paid my mechanic $350 to put it & an auxiliary trans cooler (B&M 70264, cost $64) in.

Grand total for everything was $664.
Just did an Internet search and this place that had an 01 mercury grand marquis has 3 different model transmissions for that year? Do you have a part number on some paperwork?

That is a great price.
Is there exhaust pipes that have to be removed to get the tranny out?

Yeah you have to drop the exhaust to get the trans out. It was $170 for the rebuild kit borgwarner clutches and raybestos steels came with the seals and seal wizard, which works but only used it on one piston didn't know it was in the kit lol. So I bought a seal installation kit for $132 I think . Around here people wanted $500 for a 16 year old used tranny wasn't going to waste my time with that, so I rebuilt it myself.

Just did an Internet search and this place that had an 01 mercury grand marquis has 3 different model transmissions for that year? Do you have a part number on some paperwork?

I don't recall which one I chose in particular, they all should work though from a Grand Marquis.
If you get one from a Crown Victoria make sure the tailshaft extension housing is the short one. (No police interceptor/taxi transmission will work as they have the longer housing)

One of the three is for a car with HPP and would have the smaller 11.25 torque converter (like a Mark VIII). I am not sure what other difference there could be, floor shifter versus column shifter, that is about the only other thing I can thing of.

Yeah you have to drop the exhaust to get the trans out. It was $170 for the rebuild kit borgwarner clutches and raybestos steels came with the seals and seal wizard, which works but only used it on one piston didn't know it was in the kit lol. So I bought a seal installation kit for $132 I think . Around here people wanted $500 for a 16 year old used tranny wasn't going to waste my time with that, so I rebuilt it myself.

So is it a matter of opening transmission and just replacing the old parts with the new parts? How long on the rebuild, not removing or installation. Did you remove with a trans jack? Cannot it be done in a driveway?

So is it a matter of opening transmission and just replacing the old parts with the new parts? How long on the rebuild, not removing or installation. Did you remove with a trans jack? Cannot it be done in a driveway?
Well if your feeling extremely lucky yeah lol. You need to have some mechanical skill to understand how it works and identifying bad parts. You're going to need tools for compressing piston return springs, measuring clutch pack clearance, measuring pump clearance or end case clearance and to Remove install bushings and installing seals how many of these tools your going to have to buy depends on how creative you are lol. On the rebuild time not sure didn't really pay attention worked on it a little at a time as family was in town. I didn't use a transmission jack. I used a hydraulic jack not as safe. I had to lift it off the jack to get it out from under the car as my jack stands would only go so high. To get it back in I slid it under then while laying on my back with my hands above my head I picked the trans up and used my foot to slid the jack under the trans and Jack it up while I held the transmission lol could have lifted one side but didn't want the torque converter to fall out. Make sure your converter is all the way in I've seen so many "mechanics" destroy pumps by not. Be wary of relying on a overhaul book and stack everything in order and take apart and resemble one clutch pack at a time it's really not that hard as far as rebuilding it goes but my car not being rust free made removal a challenge that was the hardest part for me.

The servos where some what of a bear as well because I did it the hard way. I rebuilt it on top of a car rim so it was vertical.

Knowledge is "Power" otherwise, how can you repair it if you don't know?

If you wanna play, you gotta pay. As my old boss would say.

Too Good to be true..! Of course the most valuable thing anyone can have is knowledge, that can be obtained in many different ways, followed by skills and experience and with the ability to use them., so my friend, your boss is right.!:)

You see, I am an old experienced Master ASE Tech from the era when most cars were rear wheel drive, had carburettors, distributor, rotor, breaker points, condensers and caps. A/T Transmission were 2 or 3 speed and very easy to service. by the end of the 70's
I closed my shop and turned it into a Collision & Refinishing (Du-Pont Certified) Shop, thus no car could get away from my spray gun.. again I closed it in 1999 and semi-retired.
The thing is, today, I am re-inventing myself with auto/self education on the newer technologies to keep me up-to-date and be able to properly diagnose and work with todays cars, so I do a lot of tinkering/practice with my cars and those of our neighbors, mostly "Pro-Bono", as it give me the opportunity and the basis to practice and apply my new learnings and to derived from them the pleasures of accomplishment, or the agony of defeat which almost never occurs? thus becoming a "Jack of all trades and a Master of none :confused:, one ;)or more :)".:rolleyes:;)
My last project now is : I bought a 1998 4R70W transmission to put it on my 97 Towncar. This will require to repin the harness end connector to the 98 Transmission case connector, or otherwise, move all the 97-4R70W internal elctronic components and case connector to the 98 Tranny and thus, simply connect it to the main 97 harness without re-pinning it, in other words, 98 guts with 97 electronics. Note that the 98 internal components are "Hard Wired" while the 97 are soft wired. and in addition, Ford relocated and changed the pin position wires, from 10/97-up , thus the need for 97 repining to 98 so 98 Tranny can operate.

Also I am working on a variation of a J-Mod to improve the shifts for the 98 transmission to be a little more aggressive than the 97 wich is now giving me some 3-4 shift flare issues since 120K miles now is at 130+K and getting worse. . Have taken many photos of the progress, and modifications to the 98 Tranny that would like to post in the near future along with some remarks and comments. Had also R&R the Intake manifold on the 4.6Lt engine thus is prone to develop stress cracks and leakeage of coolant occurs as it did with mine.. but that is a subject for another powertrain blog.

Members online

Back