Good morning!!!! Hoping someone can help me!! :(

sanmel1029

LVC Member
Reaction score
:confused:
GOOD MORNING EVERYONE!!!!!
SO, I AM HAVING PROBLEMS AND THE GUY I HAVE WORKING ON MY CAR CANT SEEM TO FIGURE IT OUT (HE IS REALLY A DIESEL MECHANIC BUT IS HELPING ME OUT (TRYING) SO I'M NOT COMPLAINING!!) :) I GOT THE CAR APPROX 1 YR AGO. LOVE MY CAR!! 2005 LINCOLN LS v6 -- SO, NEEDED A CAR A YEAR AGO, FRIEND HELPED ME OUT AND FOUND ME ONE. NEEDED A LITTLE WORK, BUT I NEEDED IT NOW SO SAID I WILL FIX THE IGNITION COILS THAT NEED REPLACING. - ENDED UP BEING ONLY ONE AT THAT PARTICULAR MOMENT. NOT LONG AFTER THAT HAD TO REPLACE ANOTHER AND NOW ABOUT 3 MONTHS AGO ANOTHER ONE. ( HAVE SINCE BEEN TOLD THAT I SHOULD HAVE DONE THEM ALL AT THE SAME TIME) - MY BAD, DIDN'T KNOW. mY EXcUSE---IMMA GIRL ;)

NOW ALONG WITH THE IGNITION COILS, IT DIDN'T HAVE A REAR VIEW MIRROR-OK NO BIG DEAL, GOT THAT. THE PASSENGER SIDE WINDOW WONT ROLL UP-HE HAS IT HELD UP BY 2 SCREWDRIVERS ( THAT HE SAID HE WANTED BACK WHEN I FIXED THE WINDOW---REALLY? RIIGHT.. THEY ARE MINE NOW!!) - I THINK THAT IS ALL I HAD TO REPLACE, FIX OR INSTALL. (NOT MYSELF - I PAID TO GET THEM INSTALLED)

NOW, THE CAR HASN'T EVER RAN LIKE A CAR SHOULD RUN. ESPECIALLY A CAR THAT I JUST PAID YOU A NICE CHUNK OF CHANGE FOR BECAUSE EVERYONE WANTED YOUR OK NOW WE ARE UP TO DATE ON HOW MY CAR HAS TREATED ME THROUGH THE LAST YEAR.................................

OK. FOR THE LAST 3 MONTHS SINCE I CHANGED THE OTHER IGNITION COIL ( NOW THE RIGHT SIDE - 4, 5, AND 6 ARE ALL NEW) THIS IS AFTER AN IDIOT CHANGED A BRAND NEW ONE THAT I HAD ALREADY REPLACED BECAUSE THEY ARE NUMBERED DIFFERENT ON OTHER CARS.----- ANYWAYS, THE CAR HAS BEEN RUNNING LIKE HELL!!! I STILL BEEN PUTTING ON DOWN THE ROAD - ME AND BESSIE HAVE A GREAT RELATIONSHIP.... SHE MIGHT QUIT ON ME BUT SHE ALWAYS STARTS BACK UP. I HAVE HAD THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CHECKED AND IT SEEMS TO BE COILS AGAIN!!! SO, I BRING IT TO THE SHOP WHERE I WORK (FREE LABOR) AND THEY PUT IT BACK ON THE MACHINE. THIS TIME THE IGNITION COIL CODES ARE GONE!! WHERE THE HELL DID THEY GO?????? WHO KNOWS. ANYWAYS, HE REPLACES A FEW PARTS. ONE INCLUDING THE DISC SHAPED PART WHERE THAT GOES BETWEEN THE BREATHER AND AIR INTAKE THING..(SOMETHING TO DO WITH MAF) - AGAIN IMMA GIIRL!! ;) IF YOU NEED ME TO GET SPECIFICS I CAN. NOW HE REPLACES ALL THAT AND SPARK PLUGS ON ALL AND CAR RUNS FREAKING AMAZING BUT GUESS WHAT.. THEY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME BACK ON AND NOW THE COILS CODE IS BACK. ANYWAYS HE REPLACES THEM AND OMG I FEEL LIKE I BOUGHT A LINCOLN LS STRAIGHT OFF THE SHOW ROOM FLOOR. IT DROVE ME ALMOST ALL THE WAY HOME WHEN ALL OF THE SUDDEN IT WOULDN'T ACCELERATE WHEN I PUSHED THE GAS PEDAL BUT IT WOULD ACCELERATE JUST ENOUGH TO GET YOU MOVING FROM A STAND STILL. COASTED MY WAY INTO THE BIG LOTS PARKING LOT.

GO BACK DOWN THERE - IT MUST BE THE GAS PEDAL ( WHICH IS $250.00 WHERE I LIVE) GO BUY THAT AND BRING IT WITH US. PLUG IT UP AND NOTHING!!! THATS NOT IT. PUT IT BACK ON THE MACHINE AND NOW MAF AND TPC ARE BOTH ON THE BOX. TAKE THE GAS PEDAL BACK CAUSE THAT DIDN'T WORK...... REPLACE THE TPC(HOPE THATS THE RIGHT ABBREVIATION FOR WHAT I MEAN) AND THE CODES WILL NOT CLEAR OFF. IM TOLD THAT I HAVE TO FIND SOMEWHERE THAT HAS A BOX FOR A JAGUAR MOTOR CAUSE THATS WHAT MY LINCOLN LS HAS IN IT. I HAVE NO IDEA WHO THE HELL HAS ONE OF THOSE BESIDES A DEALER AND WHO KNOW WHAT THEY WILL CHARGE.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS????????
ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE????
DOES ANYONE SUGGEST UNPLUGGING THE NEG WIRE ON THE BATTERY FOR A LITTLE WHILE???
HE DID THAT THE OTHER DAY BUT I COULD HAVE SWORE HE UNPLUGGED THE POSITIVE WIRE - I MEAN IMMA GIIRL BUT IM NOT AN IDIOT ;)

SORRY FOR THE LONG STORY BUT
HELP
HELP
HELP

THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS (AND GIIRLS???)

This is a chronic problem.............but you already know that.

Bite the bullet and take it your local Ford/Lincoln store

My 2002 did the same thing and you probably should replace them all.
Ford put out a technical service bulletin about this and the Dealer will know about it.

Lots of Luck.

Wally

THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME!!!!!
What are you saying I should take to the dealer and have all of them replaced??
Here is a list of what has already been replaced... Maybe from there you can tell me what I should do....

All 6 plugs
All 6 wires
All 6 coils
TPC
Throttle body/Throttle body motor

Now it is saying on the jaguar code reader that its the PCM. A few people have told me that if the Throttle body hasn't been reprogrammed ( May be using the wrong wording, but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say) then it isn't going to tell the PCM that its been fixed.

So, should I get the PCM # and call and get a used part at a junk yard or what??? I am so confused and I don't have the money to take it to the dealer for the $800 part that the code reader is telling me it is. That's not including labor. The part itself is 767.48.
ANY suggestions would be great. I am about to the point where I am just going to sell it and try to get something else. While I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my car, it just hasn't been right since the day I got it and its getting really frustrating and VERY EXPENSIVE!!!
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!!

OH>>P.S. What type of bulletin was put out on this particular problem??
There was a recall on PCM - but it was VIN specific and mine wasn't one of them :(

Sandy -

This is a chronic problem.............but you already know that.

Bite the bullet and take it your local Ford/Lincoln store

My 2002 did the same thing and you probably should replace them all.
Ford put out a technical service bulletin about this and the Dealer will know about it.

Lots of Luck.

Wally

Hi: This is not an easy on-line fix.

Maybe if you can't afford it then sell the car.

The V6 has a common issue with the PCV elbow which is under the intake manifold. It's relatively easy to replace when replacing the 1-3 ignition coils. Often a bad elbow will cause P0171 and P0174 diagnostic codes. The elbow, when bad, will result in a vacuum leak which is very similar to a misfire. A misfire is what you are trying to fix when replacing coils.

The electrical system on the Lincoln LS also seems to be abnormally sensitive to the battery condition. From what I've experienced (I had a V8 LS and my wife had a V6 LS) you should only expect to get about 3 years out of the battery. When they get old they can start to cause symptoms such as stalling and rough idle. And you cannot trust the battery testers as they will show the battery is fine (load test and capacity).

-Rod

Thank you wally. I was really just checking to see if the PCM code came up and was really the PCM or if something else was wrong. Also, I am currently in the process of selling it!!! Or trading. Im in Memphis TN if you know anyone in this neck of the woods interested!! Thanks again man

Hi: This is not an easy on-line fix.

Maybe if you can't afford it then sell the car.

JUST AN UPDATE..........
The fix was The throttle body!!!! We tried for all the parts internally and nothing so decided to replace the whole thing and BAM it accelerates now!

Now I am having a problem with it coming out of gear when I stop at stop signs (mostly when its unexpected and abrupt stops) but sometimes not.....
ANYONE.... HELP!!!

Is the car actually coming out of gear or just slow to accelerate, like maybe it's in a higher gear?

-Rod

I actually roll backwards until it remembers that... oh yeah I was driving wasn't I... and jerks me into gear..... Sometimes the engine even shuts off :(

Is the car actually coming out of gear or just slow to accelerate, like maybe it's in a higher gear?

-Rod

There have been several issues with the valve body/shift solenoid packs in these transmissions. I don't recall every reading about the same symptoms you describe, but it does sound like something that would be controlled by the shift solenoids.

With a professional scan tool you should be able to monitor what the various shift solenoids are doing to determine if they are doing what they are supposed to. If you decided you were just going to shotgun the issue though, I'd suggest you start with a shift solenoid pack, new fluid, and new filter.

-Rod

Is it at the bottom of the transmission where all the springs n things are where the fluid moves along?? Someone told me about this, said it has like 16 bolts that have to be taken out and all that inside there has to be replaced......

There have been several issues with the valve body/shift solenoid packs in these transmissions. I don't recall every reading about the same symptoms you describe, but it does sound like something that would be controlled by the shift solenoids.

With a professional scan tool you should be able to monitor what the various shift solenoids are doing to determine if they are doing what they are supposed to. If you decided you were just going to shotgun the issue though, I'd suggest you start with a shift solenoid pack, new fluid, and new filter.

-Rod

It's accessed from the pan, but there are not a bunch of springs and things that fly out as soon as the pan is removed. There's a filter that would need to be removed. I'm pretty sure there are several videos of the process if you search for them on the popular video site.

Also, when I was talking with the transmission shop that did the boring and sleeving on my transmission (had them do the solenoid pack at the same time) they said the Aviator had a slightly different part number than the Explorers and accordingly used a different pack. Something to keep in mind, make sure you know the model number of your transmission if you plan to try this repair yourself.

-Rod

Members online

No members online now.
Back