DATC codes

kcam67

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Codes DATC.jpg

Hi guys, I ran a DATC code test today and this is what I got. I don't know what it means but I was told that if everything is good, it should read all '8'! Well, from the snapshot, there's one digit that I don't recognize. Does anyone here have seen this code before or if you know where to point me to, I can look it up? Thanks in advance guys!

BTW, the reason I'm running the DATC test is because I'm having A/C issues. Blowing warm air only! Not sure if there's a leak in the system or compressor malfunction. I know it's not DCCV because I replaced a new one already. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Codes DATC.jpg

That is the everything passed display. Whatever the problem is, it isn't being electrically detected.

Time to look at the high-side and low-side refrigerant pressures.

That is the everything passed display. Whatever the problem is, it isn't being electrically detected.

Time to look at the high-side and low-side refrigerant pressures.

Thank you for your input. I just came back from the A/C shop and the guy tells me the compressor needs replacing @........wait.......wait......a cool $1,805 with parts and labor :bsflag:

Something is fishy what he is telling me. He said that compressor is fried and that is why it is not pumping coolant into system and therefore needs replacing. I don't know much about A/C but I do know BS when I hear it. Last year when I had no A/C, I noticed that the clutch on the compressor wasn't engaging when A/C was on and so, I pumped a whole can of A/C Pro (R134a) into the low side port and I saw the clutch engaging. So, I'm not so sure about compressor being fried but I could be wrong. I'm hooking up A/C manifold gauge right now but I'm not too familiar with what I'm suppose to be looking for. Reading direction as I'm posting this tread.

These are the pressures you should be looking for:
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6xc0006.htm~gen~ref.htm

It doesn't seem to be too rare for the compressors to leak/fail on these cars. I'd had to replace both of mine (two LSes). In each case, the compressor started leaking oil from where the two halves join. I replaced them before all the oil and any of the refrigerant leaked out. If you didn't notice the oil leaking out, then after most of it was gone, the refrigerant would leak out. If you then added refrigerant without replacing the oil, the compressor would destroy itself and contaminate the rest of the system. If this is what happened, then $1800 is a reasonable price to get the compressor replaced, the dryer replaced, and the rest of the system well flushed. However, you can do most of the work yourself and get the total to less than $1000.

These are the pressures you should be looking for:
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6xc0006.htm~gen~ref.htm

It doesn't seem to be too rare for the compressors to leak/fail on these cars. I'd had to replace both of mine (two LSes). In each case, the compressor started leaking oil from where the two halves join. I replaced them before all the oil and any of the refrigerant leaked out. If you didn't notice the oil leaking out, then after most of it was gone, the refrigerant would leak out. If you then added refrigerant without replacing the oil, the compressor would destroy itself and contaminate the rest of the system. If this is what happened, then $1800 is a reasonable price to get the compressor replaced, the dryer replaced, and the rest of the system well flushed. However, you can do most of the work yourself and get the total to less than $1000.

CAM00556.jpgCAM00557.jpgCAM00558.jpg

Ok, I got the results and readout from pressure measurements. BLUE gauge is LOW side and RED gauge is HIGH side and from the looks of it comparing to the link that joegr kindly provided, the low side seems to be ok but high side is WAY LOW. According to the diagnostic table chart, my results tells me that it could be A/C suction line is partially restricted or plugged? Which really doesn't tell me much but it also could mean a number of other things not related to the chart. Joegr, you could be right also about me not knowing that the oil from compressor has been leaking slowly and I decide to pump a whole can of R134a into my system. If that's the case, I'm not really sure what I want to do next.

CAM00556.jpg

CAM00557.jpg

CAM00558.jpg

Most likely, this is indicating that your compressor is toast. On the other hand, it is possible that your expansion valve has failed in the full open position (but that's a rare failure, I think). I don't think that it could be a suction side clog, since the low port is right at the compressor, and you are not seeing extremely low, low side pressures.

Well, this has been an adventure and a PITA to figure out. At least, Joegr, pointed me to a few options and answers moving forward. I could do two things, one, replace the compressor and flush the whole system or two, not do a thing and save me some money. I had a funny feeling that this was going to be expensive whether I do it myself, with limited knowledge about A/C system, or have someone do it for me, which is going to cost me an arm and a leg. I'll ponder on my next move as I am not in that much of a hurry to get this fixed. thanks again, Joegr, for your help and inputs!

Good thread, great progress, thanks for pics.
keep us posted on your findings/resolutions please.

Good thread, great progress, thanks for pics.
keep us posted on your findings/resolutions please.
ce
Joeger advice spot on as usual! I am an A/C certified mech. At the very least the clutch is probably bad, dried and accumulater bad. The high pressure line looks fairly good, suction side real bad! System needs full vacumn cleaning, purged with nitrogen after all parts replaced, before new compressor is opened and introduced to system. Compressor failure/blowout has introduced contaminents into system. A trained tech can rebuild the compressor easily, 2 parts come apart and replace clutch assembly. Most repairs are a replacement of the compressor/clutch assembly. Big business in rebuilding these. Go back to 1950s & 1960s A/C. Front windows down, 60mph. Good luck!

Thanks guys for your advice and inputs. I talked to a tech at my workplace, Ford Motor, and he pretty much agreed with both of your assessments. I'm weighing my options right now whether I'm going to do it myself or have someone do it for me. I guess the full vacuuming I will have to hire someone to do it for me because I don't have the proper equipment to do a clean out. The compressor, I will find out how difficult it is for me to do it myself. Thanks guys!

Members online

No members online now.
Back