Strongest Tie Rod Ever?

danielmillermark8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I just got back from the shop where I had the upper and lower tie rods replaced along with the alignment. Apparently the lincoln mark VIII tie rod is the only rod he's seen that can bend this far without breaking! Dont know if you guys can see the specs on the attachments but this before & after alignment is crazy! She now drives like a dream.

DSC01334.jpg

DSC01332.jpg

DSC01333.jpg

How the hell does that even happen... unless the lower control arm failed catestrophically at 35mph and the tie rod held on for dear life or something

How the hell does that even happen... unless the lower control arm failed catestrophically at 35mph and the tie rod held on for dear life or something

I know 0 about this cars past other then its from florida. But my guess is the past owner hit a curb. Control arms are fine.

i've seen bent control arms, i pulled one off the 97 after i trailered it home. i think the tie rod was bent as well, but i can't remember..
it was in an accident though.

why is your left rear camber so bad? do you need bushings?

i've seen bent control arms, i pulled one off the 97 after i trailered it home. i think the tie rod was bent as well, but i can't remember..
it was in an accident though.

why is your left rear camber so bad? do you need bushings?

IDK......he told me he couldn't adjust it anymore but not to worry because it makes very little difference.

ok, but it was within spec when it first pulled it in.
if he adjusted it, it got worse! not better.
the right side changed too, but it got better at least.
i'd be looking at that rear suspension.

ok, but it was within spec when it first pulled it in.
if he adjusted it, it got worse! not better.
the right side changed too, but it got better at least.
i'd be looking at that rear suspension.

Hmmmm..... Well the front bushings were toast so I'll have the back ones looked at, thanks man good eye.

i just noticed because my car is doing the same thing.
its probably one of the upper bushings in the rear.
the upper outer is just a straightforward bushing.
the upper inner is an eccentric bushings for rear camber adjustment.
thats where i would look.

Had my Ranger pulled out of a field once, the wrong way. Long story short, my inner tie rod end was bent further than that. Good times trying to drive it home.

Had my Ranger pulled out of a field once, the wrong way. Long story short, my inner tie rod end was bent further than that. Good times trying to drive it home.

Good times indeed. Felt like I had a flintstone square wheel for 7 miles. Not to mention what it did to my tires..... ok I will mention it, they are bald as hell!!!!!!!!

If it's anything like mine was, the bushing dried out. There seems to be something between the rubber and the eccentric that dries out, falls out, then you lose adjustment. Cost me a set of tires before I caught it.

Interestingly enough, I have my car at the alignment shop right now and I received a call from them stating that my inner tie rod has a bend in it, about a 30 degree bend. I notice yours is the inner also. I am anxious to pull it out and replace it to see just how bent it really is.

On top of that, the shop couldn't give a good alignment since the car was originally air ride and has been converted to coil spring- they said they couldn't find the specs for the alignment so they did the best they could.

Interestingly enough, I have my car at the alignment shop right now and I received a call from them stating that my inner tie rod has a bend in it, about a 30 degree bend. I notice yours is the inner also. I am anxious to pull it out and replace it to see just how bent it really is.

On top of that, the shop couldn't give a good alignment since the car was originally air ride and has been converted to coil spring- they said they couldn't find the specs for the alignment so they did the best they could.

Here's my stupid comment of the day, but couldn't they have just used Cougar/Thunderbird specs?

are they serious? they are dumb.
why couldn't they just use the mark viii specs they already have?
i have no idea.

Members online

No members online now.
Back