Paint wheels? Help me decide poll

Paint wheels?

• Total voters

RigsLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score

PAINT WHEELS?

I'm on the fence about painting my wheels, partially because it's going to be a big job with respect to the chrome lip and the decorative plastic nuts all around the inner rim, which would have to come out. I'd have to mask off the outer chrome lip and the inner side of the wheels. Scuff up the original layer of paint and I'd be rattle-canning it with a clear on top.

- Option 1, Wheels NO paint.

wheelNOpaint.jpg

- Option 2, Wheels YES paint.

wheelYESpaint.jpg

- Option 3, Wheels NO paint this season, Wheels YES paint next season.

Not sure what I want to do, gotta get this LS back out driving on the roads but I still have more cosmetic body panels being done up, so it's still off the roads for now. May leave the wheels as is for this season and plan on painting when new tires are in order possibly next season.

wheelNOpaint.jpg

wheelYESpaint.jpg

Personally I like the wheels with paint. It would be a pain to mask but really if the ls isnt even being driven at the moment I say go for it. My vote is option 2!!!

anthracite dip with chrome lip , best of both worlds , when your tired of it just return to stock , easier to fix mistakes too , my vote is dip (not paint ) now or before the winter for protection

anthracite dip with chrome lip , best of both worlds , when your tired of it just return to stock , easier to fix mistakes too , my vote is dip (not paint ) now or before the winter for protection
Yeah actually that would probably be best. I havent used the anthracite dip yet... might try it out on the wifes wheels.

Trouble with the dip is that these wheels have those plastic chrome looking fake decorative nuts screwed in all along the inner side of the wheel. Dipping over them would mean leaving the dip on those nuts OR peel all the dip off the nuts, OR remove the nuts prior to the dipping but then I'd be concerned when screwing them back in, it may begin to tear at the dip. Either way, it's not going to be a simple process.

I thought about dipping them with the anthracite color and glossifier but ... not your simple regular 5 spoke here!

gloss is easier with smaller spokes , it was a bich to apply with my 06 wide spokes

Trouble with the dip is that these wheels have those plastic chrome looking fake decorative nuts screwed in all along the inner side of the wheel. Dipping over them would mean leaving the dip on those nuts OR peel all the dip off the nuts, OR remove the nuts prior to the dipping but then I'd be concerned when screwing them back in, it may begin to tear at the dip. Either way, it's not going to be a simple process.

I thought about dipping them with the anthracite color and glossifier but ... not your simple regular 5 spoke here!

It would still give you the option of going back if you didn't like it. It would also, IMHO, be overall less time consuming to use an EXacto knife to remove the dip from any unwanted areas.

nuts.jpg

^ them NUTS, 29 per wheel X4 = 116

I'd rather not paint NOR dip over them, certainly not masking 116 of them, that drive me NUTS!

How many guys can say they have a 116 NUTS problem!

nuts.jpg

damn most guys only have to deal with only 2 nuts lol , are those removable ?,

Yeah they come out, they are plastic decorative screws, threaded into the wheel.
And to make it worse, they are inset into the wheel.

Really don't want to paint over them, removing them is not the problem,
problem is if I were to dip the wheels, I'd have to turn them back in and tightened up without tearing the dip.
If I were to simply paint the wheel, it would not be such an ordeal with turning them back in.

it wouldnt mess with the dip around it , it would mess with the dip inside the thread hole, which you wouldnt notice anyway

Hmmm, I may have gotten bored already with the bright wheels, I like so many other LS'es on here and they are most always with dark colored rims.

I might leave my decision until over next winter(storage). Thanks for the input from all, appreciate it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back