Won't start, bad VLCM/CCRM/VCRM

KingJacobo

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey all, my '93 Mark VIII has been down for 2 weeks now. There was no fuel pressure at first, the fuel pump was replaced, had fuel pressure for a second, then down to nothing.

No time to further diagnose, I had it towed to a shop. They replaced the entire fuel pump assembly and got fuel pressure. Now it won't start. They say the VLCM is bad. The part is discontinued. Ford doesn't make it anymore, all the auto parts stores don't make it anymore.

I got fed up and bought one on Ebay with a 14 day warranty, but there is a compatibility issue. This one has 25 pins, the one it is replacing has 26. The shop says the car still won't start and they are waiting on the Ford dealer to call them back as far as compatibility goes. I'm not expecting much, it's a Ford dealer and a 21 year old Lincoln we're talking about.

Any ideas? I could really use my Mark VIII right about now..

I'm having trouble imagining how a bad VLCM will cause a Mark VIII to not start. Your car won't refuse to start because the cooling fan brain is fried.

it does much, much more than just run the cooling fans.

it runs both speeds of the fuel pump, the air conditioning pressure switches, WOT AC cut out, the cooling fan, the AC compressor clutch, and finally, PCM power! (circuit 361, red wire)

Jacabo, does the check engine light turn on when you turn the key on? (not cranking or anything, just on)

Check engine light does not turn on. It just would crank and crank, sometimes start for a second then die.

that could indicate that the PCM is not getting power.
the check engine light should illuminate when you turn the key to the on position.
first gen VCRMs should be 24 pin units by the way.

i would get a hold of Carlos, racebronco2 on here, he usually has a good selection of parts.

I actually ordered one from him, the shop doesn't know where they're talking about.

The shop has essentially given up, my friend think it may be a bad PCM/ECU, but as of right now the shop still has the car. Anyone local in the area up for helping/know a shop that knows how to fix? I don't have a whole lot of time right now. My mechanical ability is limited.

Members online

No members online now.
Back