2005 Lincoln LS V8 New to Me Dumb Questions

richbloom

LVC Member
Reaction score
I am sorry for the dumb questions but here goes

1. How do I tell if I have HID headlights or not?

2. How do I know what trim of the LS I have? Sport, etc

3. Any idea why there is no Haynes manual for this car?

4. The car is new to me and has 170,000 km on it. I can only be 100% sure that it has had the rear dif fluid changed and 2 oil changes. Any other maintenance you would do not knowing?

I plan on replacing the air filter maybe with a K&N haven't decided yet
Replacing the air conditioned seat filters
Replacing the wiper arms if I can find them as they need a painting or replacing
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

4. The car is new to me and has 170,000 km on it. I can only be 100% sure that it has had the rear dif fluid changed and 2 oil changes. Any other maintenance you would do not knowing?

I plan on replacing the air filter maybe with a K&N haven't decided yet
Replacing the air conditioned seat filters
Replacing the wiper arms if I can find them as they need a painting or replacing
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

Save your money and prepare for maintenance. That is of course assuming you don't have money falling out of your ass (then mod away). The LS is an awesome car, but awesome comes with a price. Enjoy

Oh and all 2003 - 2006 LS are sports. And there's a good manual online you can find here. I'll link it when I get a chance. As for HID's that should be straight forward. Either halogen or not.

There will be a yellow high voltage warning sticker on top of the light if they are HID.

http://deneau.info/ls/

What trim do you have, wood, painted, aluminum panel above the glove box? Do you have leather wrap steering wheel or wood trim?

Oh and all 2003 - 2006 LS are sports. And there's a good manual online you can find here. I'll link it when I get a chance. As for HID's that should be straight forward. Either halogen or not.

Not quite.
Almost all 2003-2006 V8s are sport.
Most 2003-2005 V6s are not sport.

1. Yellow high-voltage warning sticker on the top of the lights. You can also tell by the color and how they start. Also, you can tell by entering you VIN on this site:
http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=D22A78212077B43E9CF31C40F35C2FC0.fcvas510

2. You almost certainly have sport. You may have sport premium. Again, you can enter your VIN at the site above.

3. Yes, they just didn't make enough of these and there aren't enough people willing to do their own work on these cars. The Haynes manuals are terrible anyway. The factory manual is here:
(2006 was the same as 2005)

4. I would suggest a full transmission fluid exchange at a Ford/Lincoln dealer. Also, if the coils haven't been changed yet, you almost certainly need to replace all the coils and spark plugs now, probably about $400 to $500 if you do it yourself. If not recently done, all the plastic cooling system parts will need to be replaced very soon. Count on spending $500 to $1500 for that, more if you don't do it yourself. I personally, wouldn't spend money of things that it doesn't need and that won't make any functional improvements until you have gotten all the maintenance out of the way.

:W and why replace the seats? The covers are replaceable if needed. There's nothing like the automatic climate controlled seats on either a hot or cold day!!!

Canadian buyers had the non-sport option; or should I say they had the sport option. I know a guy in OK with a non-sport '06. Seems someone ordered it that way so they could have the option of "chaining-up." Can't run chains on the 17" wheels....

Wasn't the warranty extended by Ford to cover the 2005 coils to 100, 000 miles? Funny (sad) that he has 105,000 miles now (170,000 km) and is just outside of the extended warranty interval.

Wasn't the warranty extended by Ford to cover the 2005 coils to 100, 000 miles? Funny (sad) that he has 105,000 miles now (170,000 km) and is just outside of the extended warranty interval.

That was a US warranty extension. I'm not sure what the terms of the Canadian one are, or if there was a Canadian extension.

Ok cool thannks. The coils are these hard to replace along with the plugs? I have changed plugs and wires in my VW but never in a lincoln ls lol.
What plastic parts should I replace aroudn the cooling system?
Last thing you said I should do the tranny flush at the dealership? Just courious why at the stealership lol sorry just joking.

When I put my VIN number in this is what I get

Primary Features
Build Date: 25.04.2005
Vehicle Line: Lincoln LS
Body Style: 4 Door Saloon
Version: High Version
Engine: 3.9L Dohc EFI NA V8 Gas*HP
Transmission: 5 Speed Auto Transmission 5R55S
Drive: LHD RWD
Axle Ratio: 3.58
Emission: 50 State Emission Requirements
Air Conditioning: Automatic Air Conditioning
Paint: Silver Birch Metallic

Also what does this mean?
Outstanding Field Service Actions
07M07 - EXTENDED WARRANTY COVERAGE ON IGNITION COIL ASSEMBLIES AND ENGINE VALVE COVER GA SKETS
07N09 - EXTENDED WARRANTY COVERAGE ON IGNITION COIL COVERS AND WIPER MOTOR BRACKET SEAL

I found more information
Minor Features
Camel Interior
Nudo Leather
Sport
Less Fleet Related Items
Wixom Plant Build
Canadian Sales
Less Special Equipment Package
With Convenience Group
Less Exterior Dress Up Package
Less Military Vehicles
Feature Content Group 1
2005 Job No.1 Program Control
Less Luxury Package
Less Special Language Label
English NAS Owner Handbook
With Solar Tinted Windshield
With Metallic Trim Accents
Front Floor Carpet Mats
Rear Floor Carpet Mats
Electrochromic Mirror With Compass
Drv Pwr/Heated/Mem/Puddle Lamp
Pass Pwr/Htd/Mem/Puddle Lamp Mirror
With Front 2 Way Headrest
With Electric Driver Seat Recliner
With Electric Pass.Seat Recliner
With LH Electric Lumbar Support
With RH Electric Lumbar Support
With Integrated Rear Headrest
With Drivers Heated And Cooled Seat
With Pass Heated And Cooled Seat
Less Rear Heated Seat
With Engine Oil Cooler
With Power Lock Group
With Illuminated Door Entry Keypad
With Variable Intermittent Windscreen Wiper
With Electric Slide Sunroof
Less Transit Coating
Less Rear Bumper Sensor Device
With Front Licence Plate Bracket
Less Air Curtain Restraint
With Mini Steel Spare Wheel
7.5X17" Cast Alloy Mach Bright Whl
P235/50VR17 A/S BSW Tyre
Immersion Heater Engine
50 State Emission Requirements
Special Suspension
Traction Control With IVD
Normal Fuel Fill
With Man Trans Shifter Knob-Leather
With Manual Shift Auto Trans
For Unleaded Fuel
With Memory Adjustable Foot Pedals
Less Steering Column Lock
Leather Steering Wheel
With KMH/MPH Speedometer
Less Acoustical Warning System
With Message Centre
With Perimeter Anti-Theft
With CDX6 Radio And 6 Disc Changer
With NAAO Radio Frequency
With Audiophile Sound System
With Halogen Headlamp
With Daytime Running Lamps
Less Side Repeat Flashers
Less Rear Fog Lamps
Less Battery Cut Off Relay
Silver Birch Metallic
Generic Country Group 2
Less B&A Control Codes Issue 030388
5W43-18B036-L* L/F SPRG/SHK
5W43-18B036-L* R/F SPG/SHK
5W43-18W002-F* L/RR SPG/SHK
(+)"CDN"
(-)"IRL"
(-) GVMT Service Administration
(-)"USA"
(-)"TW"
(-)"GU"
(-)"BRN"
(-)"KOR"
Sport Marketing Trim

Definately a Canadian spec'd car. My reading of the list:

Canadian Sales
With Convenience Group
Feature Content Group 1
With Metallic Trim Accents
With LH Electric Lumbar Support
With RH Electric Lumbar Support
With Integrated Rear Headrest
With Drivers Heated And Cooled Seat
With Pass Heated And Cooled Seat
With Engine Oil Cooler
Less Air Curtain Restraint
With Mini Steel Spare Wheel
7.5X17" Cast Alloy Mach Bright Whl
P235/50VR17 A/S BSW Tyre
Immersion Heater Engine
Special Suspension
Normal Fuel Fill
With Memory Adjustable Foot Pedals
Less Steering Column Lock
With KMH/MPH Speedometer
Less Acoustical Warning System
With Message Centre
With Perimeter Anti-Theft
With CDX6 Radio And 6 Disc Changer
With Audiophile Sound System
With Halogen Headlamp
With Daytime Running Lamps
Less Side Repeat Flashers
Less Rear Fog Lamps

Looks like it has the optional adjustable pedals though.

Was the passenger seat offered with electric lumbar support?

Was the "normal fuel fill" an option allowing regular unleaded or did this just mean they put fuel in the vehicle at delivery?

No it needs 91 octane lol. Yes the passenger seat has the lumbar support and it does have the electric adjustable pedals

1. Yellow high-voltage warning sticker on the top of the lights. You can also tell by the color and how they start. Also, you can tell by entering you VIN on this site:
http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=D22A78212077B43E9CF31C40F35C2FC0.fcvas510

2. You almost certainly have sport. You may have sport premium. Again, you can enter your VIN at the site above.

3. Yes, they just didn't make enough of these and there aren't enough people willing to do their own work on these cars. The Haynes manuals are terrible anyway. The factory manual is here:
(2006 was the same as 2005)

4. I would suggest a full transmission fluid exchange at a Ford/Lincoln dealer. Also, if the coils haven't been changed yet, you almost certainly need to replace all the coils and spark plugs now, probably about $400 to $500 if you do it yourself. If not recently done, all the plastic cooling system parts will need to be replaced very soon. Count on spending $500 to $1500 for that, more if you don't do it yourself. I personally, wouldn't spend money of things that it doesn't need and that won't make any functional improvements until you have gotten all the maintenance out of the way.

Thanks for the link giving details about the car by VIN# Found out I bought a Sport Model. And that the Color is Midnight grey

Primary Features
Build Date: 12.11.1999
Vehicle Line: Lincoln LS
Body Style: 4 Door Saloon
Version: High Version
Engine: 3.9L Dohc EFI NA V8 Gas*HP
Transmission: 5 Spd Auto Trans NAAO 5R55N
Drive: LHD RWD
Axle Ratio: 3.31
Emission: With 49 State Emission Requirements
Air Conditioning: Automatic Air Conditioning
Paint: Midnight Grey

Minor features
Midnight Black Interior
Grain
Sport
Wixom Plant Build
With Cold Weather Group # 1
With Memory Pack
With Smart Sense Pack
With Electrochromic R/View Mirror
With 2 Way Adjustable Rear Headrest
With Electric Slide Sunroof
With Front Licence Plate Bracket
7.5X17" 5 Spoke Painted Alloy Wheel
P235/50VR17 A/S BSW Tyre
With Conventional Spare Tyre
Leather Steering Wheel
With Message Centre
Elect Premium AM/FM Stereo/Cass/Clk
With CD Player Autochanger
Midnight Grey

Also what does this mean?
Outstanding Field Service Actions
07M07 - EXTENDED WARRANTY COVERAGE ON IGNITION COIL ASSEMBLIES AND ENGINE VALVE COVER GA SKETS
07N09 - EXTENDED WARRANTY COVERAGE ON IGNITION COIL COVERS AND WIPER MOTOR BRACKET SEAL

These were extended warranties due to some design or manufacturing defects (or if you prefer, an unusually high failure rate of those parts).
Here's the US letter about it.
http://www.allstatetrucks.com/Recalls/cust satisfaction recalls/07m07/R07M07 dealer bulletin.pdf

Members online

No members online now.
Back