Electricity and the rear neon

olddavid

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
My brake lights went on vacation, as you guys so quickly pointed out when it wouldn't come out of park. I have always had a thing for the switch on the pedal - I've had four failures in the last four cars we purchased for us or family. So, I ordered a new switch and it wasn't the problem. I finally disconnected the rear center neon and installed a new fuse and it cured the problem. My question is have any of you had the neon affect other systems like that? I have read other posts and never have I heard of the neon lightbar causing a short - which is what it did. Now, secondly, is the ballast rebuildable? If not, where do I get a new one? I want my car to stay stone stock with everything in perfect operation. Except my 17' wheels :) Thanks in advance for your advice.

search glitch ballast. He passed but I do believe his wife is still selling them.

No they are not rebuildable.

That same thing happened to my dads Mark VIII where it wouldn't shift it from park.

Some ballasts can become a headache. Toss it. No one will rebuild our ballasts. Get a glitch. They are still alive even though he's passed away. His wife is still selling them. Make sure you toss your old one because when they cause shorts they can become a PITA.

I know Doug was a vital part of the conversation here, and he is obviously missed. We should honor his memory by continuing to be as adept at figuring these problems out. I am going to get a friend who designs for Intel to look this problem over. Thanks for all the input. I willkeep you posted. By the way - is "glitch" a brand name or what? I always hear the replacement called that, but I'm curious as to why?

Let's face it - the rear decklid is not exactly the best environment for a fragile electric device. That's why I pay such close attention to the guys who have done alternate lighting methods. One of the distinctive features of our cars is that beautiful red band across the rear at night. If it didn't look so good, I would not bother.

I know Doug was a vital part of the conversation here, and he is obviously missed. We should honor his memory by continuing to be as adept at figuring these problems out. I am going to get a friend who designs for Intel to look this problem over. Thanks for all the input. I willkeep you posted. By the way - is "glitch" a brand name or what? I always hear the replacement called that, but I'm curious as to why?

Glitch was a nickname/Screename of the guy that "made" them.

I recently went looking at my neon problem when I found a donor CE that I wanted to experiment with for an LED conversion.
Long story short I accidentally plugged in a neon unit while the lights were on. The tail light fuse blew and I lost all data to the instrument panel. I know everything is still there because my trip ODO still counts and I can get everything except the fuel level from OBDII. While I'm at it, anyone know where the PCM is located?

Members online

No members online now.
Back