It's not often i admit defeat with this car

MaddShadez

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Tried to tackle the rear bearing in the garage. Was nervous as hell about it, and apparently had a right to be. I picked up the bearing removal tools from harbor freight not realizing they won't work on the Damn hub! I tried hammering it out with zero success and I'm not sure what else to do in my garage. I'm going too have to find a ride and find some shop to press it for me, which pisses me off. The whole point was i hate paying mechanics! Ugh, just had to vent. Not counting alignment or exhaust, this will be my first time going to a mechanic in this car!

well you're only as good as your tools, unless you've got tons of money, sooner or later, you're going to need to pay someone to use their tools.

Sometimes the word "priceless" comes to mind.......

I went through that once on a Saturn I owned. I ended up putting it back together and drove it to the mechanics. He was kind enough to charge me only 1 hour labor, which worked out to $75.

It's not defeat, It's not like its an easy task working on jack stands with primitive tooling. You were at a disadvantage, and yeah you're pissed about it. I was too. But such is life.

It's almost impossible to get aluminum near the melting point with propane. A oxy-acetylene torch will melt it. I use a propane plumbers torch to preheat aluminum before welding often and have used it a good bit while taking stuff apart.

the melting point isn't the concern, too much heat even below the melting point can affect the strength of metals.

After calling a dozen places the only one with a press that would let me bring it was (shudder) pep boys. I got a ride and brought it in but when the manager saw it he refused, saying corporate no longer lets people bring in spindles, too many broke and they were liable. I was annoyed since i was told on the phone it was no big deal, and he finally relented, but told me they would likely have to cut the hub off? BS i said, i'd have to buy a whole new spindle anyways and i'm not paying 1000 bucks for their screw up. Their master mechanic (or i imagine, their only mechanic) looked at it, said no problem, and 30 minutes later the bearing was in and i was out $121. Ouch. In the end I've still spent less than i was quoted by a shop to do it all which is nice i guess.

Thanks for letting me vent :)

I have always said that tools make the man. I bought a 12 ton shop press years ago when I was restoring another car's suspension bushings and bearings. It has become a very valuable tool over the years, it has let me use those oddball socket sizes that would have otherwise been neglected. Heck I have even used it to re-flatten the bottom of some of the wife's pots and pans that she ran under cold water when they were still too hot. Like Red Green always said, "If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." :)

It's almost impossible to get aluminum near the melting point with propane. A oxy-acetylene torch will melt it. I use a propane plumbers torch to preheat aluminum before welding often and have used it a good bit while taking stuff apart.

Yeah, you can heat aluminum some without effecting the temper or warping it too bad. Just have to do it slowly. A regular plumbers propane torch won't put enough heat into a piece of aluminum as big as a knuckle to effect it much. It will still destroy any grease and seals though.

One trick you can try is putting the aluminum in an oven at 300F degree's or so. It's how you sleeve an aluminum engine block. Hot enough for thermal expansion to set in but cool enough that it won't change the temper of the metal. It will, however cook out any grease and seals do you will have to clean things before reheating and re-assembling.

I'd still just take it to a shop with a press and the know-how. you don't want your house smelling like bearing grease for days. Also, whoever you live with might also not find it funny or understand the ingeniousness of it all.

Good words. A man needs to know and recognize his limitations! Saving $$ up front can cost a lot of frustration later! I had an older brother, master mechanic, 45 yrs. Pro stock professional mechanic, old AA/FD mechanic. could adjust carb on 1936 Chevy 1 ton truck to rebuilding an automatic tranny while watching NASCAR. Died Mar 10th, cancer. Get a good mechanic, listen, Judge between saving a few $$$ and getting real frustrated or worst later in a repair replacement situation. Jacked up in driveway broke and can't fix isn't god sense. You can remove, but can you re-assemble. Got good books? Search this forum for good advice/procedure? I you don't understand every step of the job from apart to together, don't do it! Get knowledgeable help or take to good mechanic!

Members online

No members online now.
Back