Wiring high beams to a switch to use them as DRLs

Ghost_Ls8

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
In the planning stages of rewiring my Highs to a switch to use them as DRLs in the day and my low beams at night, I currently have 80 watt LEDs in my highs and the high beam housing kind of resembles projectors due to the smaller size ( obviously doesnt do the same job ) , so with that in mind what are your opinions and inputs on this

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=69GeGh_Lfb0

IMG_20140608_122818.jpg

IMG_20140607_150256.jpg

High beam DRLs are annoying, it looks more like you are running with your high beams on in the daytime than DRLs. Rather than annoy others, how about installing a separate LED into the blinker housing to act as a standalone DRL?

High beam DRLs are annoying, it looks more like you are running with your high beams on in the daytime than DRLs. Rather than annoy others, how about installing a separate LED into the blinker housing to act as a standalone DRL?

2nd this idea. it is easier also. hi- intensity LEDs inside the.grille as DRLs

Ls_Marley : yes a Gen 2 thing
Telco: Thanks for your input , I know most Lexus models run high beam DRL stock and from what I have seen never given anyone an annoyance until they put HIDs in it , I highly doubt it would make such a scene during the day , even HIDs in reflector housings are tolerable during the day since the sun cuts down on the light emmitted

this is basically what im going for , doesnt seem like it would be an annoyance right ? On the bottom pic the owner decided to put HIDs in the DRLs which I personally think is overkill but it does look good lol

2014-06-11 07.18.18.jpg

Screenshot_2014-06-11-07-13-53.jpg

I like the Idea... you could use a relay powered off the headlight switch to remove the power to the highs when the lows (or any stage in the light switch) are on.

If you can talk someone (dealer) into reprogramming your FEM, you can get this with no rewiring or other changes.

Thank you G-Rell and Joegr for the ideas, I will talk to the dealer on my next oil change and see what they say, I did talk to a custom shop about this and they said making a separate switch for the high beams would be convenient ($50 to go this route)

Why not use fogs during day if you just want to be seen? I hate DRLs. Lights on with wipers good law!

I always run with my fogs on, better start getting use to DRls cause pretty much every new car have them ,and btw im not sure what you meant in the last sentence :confused:

I always run with my fogs on, better start getting use to DRls cause pretty much every new car have them ,and btw im not sure what you meant in the last sentence :confused:

New law in some states. If the wipers are on, so must be the lights. Both my '06's do this; even in auto mode. However, the lights don't come on unless low or high is selected.

... Both my '06's do this; even in auto mode. However, the lights don't come on unless low or high is selected.

Weird, both my 04 and 06 turn the lights on when I turn the wipers on, but it works for all the wiper settings, not just low or high. There is a brief delay (several seconds).

Weird, both my 04 and 06 turn the lights on when I turn the wipers on, but it works for all the wiper settings, not just low or high. There is a brief delay (several seconds).

Maybe my RainTracker has something to do with that...... Then again, as often as it rains here (just over 5" since last July), there's an excellent chance my memory is faulted.....

Members online

No members online now.
Back